Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
While I don't use them anymore, dual dovetails are inexpensive, rock solid and look good.

Edum

Please bless us with your new found secret!!

New product from Harbor Freight??

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey 338rcm, Where u been?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Originally Posted by EdM
While I don't use them anymore, dual dovetails are inexpensive, rock solid and look good.

Edum

Please bless us with your new found secret!!

New product from Harbor Freight??

I think he uses S&K now or Conetrols...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a Leupold scope fan but I do not use their bases. I prefer Weaver/ Picatinny bases because down the road you will have the benefit of more ring choices, options and price options. I then buy separate screws that are hex socket type. I believe the screws are the heart of the system. I invest the extra time to degrease all the holes. Use small bolt Locktight and use a torque wrench to tighten to specs which are usually 15-18 lbs. Ring inserts are another good investment. I learned a lot about taming recoil from the spring gun guys. Believe it or not pellet rifles are harder to tame than magnums.

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
M70 and Leupold DD's are like peas and carrots. I also run warne quick detach in a certain applications but they are heavy.

IC B2

S
Slope77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well, last week I ordered Leupold low DD rings in matte and silver - one set of each. Also ordered one set of gloss DD bases and had to backorder a set of silver DD bases - apparently they are sold out everywhere. Last week I removed existing bases and rings.

I think that 3.5-10x40 vx-3 is going to work perfectly on low DD rings - M70 LA/25-06. So it will work just as well on 7mm too.

First problem. Front base went on perfectly. Rear screw, rear base went on perfectly. Front screw rear base spins. I did not strip this. I am a farm boy - I know righty tighty, lefty loosey. I just took out the old base screws last week. Remove base, turn in screw. Barely starts, then spins. What the heck?? Try other screw. Same thing. Try old screws from old bases - same thing.

Unfortunately, my eyes aren't what they once were and my bench is dark. Only thing I can think of is original store (I bought this new) screwed up threads when they mounted scope originally and loctite kept screw in the base. 😡 I see threads, but there is some obstruction. I will try to inspect threads better, but probably headed to 'smith tomorrow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW & IMHO,
Dual Dovetails are a very hard system to fault. I prefer unitized one piece mounts similar to the ones made for Chandler, however, they have gone out of business and I dunno if anyone is stepping up to the plate to carry the mount. I'm fairly certain they are made by Badger Ordnance. Richard Near, who can be a mental furball, also makes a very nice version of this mount called the Alphamount. Here are a few photos from a forum member some four years ago...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a DD Ross Unitized Mount that is no longer available. The benefit is using all four screws, versus three on factory one piece dual dovetail mounts. Granted I don't know what it really offers over Dual Dovetails on two piece bases.
[Linked Image]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/nw8ZMH4.jpg[/img]

I greatly prefer Talley TNT rings and bases over Warnes. That is if you want to go with a vertical split ring. I started with them when they were Kimber Rings & Bases and went on to use them on my 82C after they formed the second company on Kimber of America, Made in Oregon. If I had a reason to dislikes Warnes it stems from their powdered metal construction and tendency to attract rust. Especially in the matte finish which is overly rough and gives moisture a place to hold. Talleys are made of bar-stock and I think they are the better-looking ring without question. If you can stay with a 1" or 30mm tube you can get both in Stainless. Not plated chrome moly. 34mm TNTs are only available in Chrome Moly/Blue. That being said the metal grain pattern is tight and the finish can be somewhat muted though they are smooth and are not as rust prone the Warne Product. IME.. That said vertical split rings can be difficult to get the reticle level due to their tendency to turn the tube on tightening. Not to mention turning the scope in the rings is an almost guaranteed practice for ring marks...

If going to a Picatinny rail and rings Badger Ordnance has yet to be excelled(IMHO). I've installed a couple hundred sets as a Schmidt & Bender dealer. The finish is not up to NEAR, however, the tolerances are superb and I have never had to lap the first set. Nor have I left a ring mark on a tube to my knowledge.

I've had pretty miserable luck with Nightforce Alloy Rings and worst of all their unimounts. Not bad once installed and heavily lapped, however, they are a nightmare on being off spec for the scope tube and unimounts are often bent and bowed heavily. Installation on a rail and proper lapping is about the only say to keep that product from pinching the tube and imparted a great deal of unnecessary stress to the scope. Their steel rings are good quality, however, I would take Badger every time...

All in all Dual Dovetails properly mounted(lapped in place) are hard to beat. They were my first centerfire ring & base configuration and I still thing they are superb. Be sure NOT to wipe off the copper anti-seize from the tenon. Doing so will lead to galling.

The ultimate ring and base system, again IMHO, is D'arcy Echols custom mounts he installs on this Legend AND some Classics. They add a third screw to each one piece lower ring & base and are quite attractive to the eye. Not to mention as stout as anything ever made...

Best of luck...

Regards, Matt.

Last edited by Matt in Virginia; 08/23/17.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kingston
Get a quality set of alignment rods and a lapping bar.

The Talley fixed rings just look right to me on a model 70. The Burris rings make it almost impossible to get ring rash on the scope. But I would lap what you have add a piece of electrical tape or use the rubbery form-a-gaskit on them and rock on.

Don't care for the Leopold mounts as I have had many with big gaps under the back ring and have sheared screws trying to eliminate the gap.

Sorry just read the post where you had already made the purchase. On the mount hole issue I run a thread tap through new ones or suspected gunked up old ones. Or even better re-drill to 8x40 threads. Sometimes the different bases take different length screws and it is not uncommon to get the wrong ones sometimes.

Last edited by Tejano; 09/20/17.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I much prefer the Talley lightweights to other rings/bases out there. I have 7 rifles with them and they are rock solid and very light as well. Also great bang for the buck.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sounds like most people like Talley's. I ordered another set of the split type today. I still have a few of the windage adjustable Leupold's, but I'm working on them a little at a time or should I say 108.00 at a time.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Talley light weight are horizontally split rings with integral bases and made out of aluminium.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Talley light weight are horizontally split rings with integral bases and made out of aluminium.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 6 invisible), 1,224 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,119
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.