Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway
The 120 year old 6.5x55 at modern pressures pounds the 6.5 Creedmore into the ground like a tent peg. For a hunting rifle the 6.5 Creedmore is an inexplicable choice.

LOL.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
the 6.5 is a cute, little stylish newcomer that although very efficient and excellent for those who love to "ring steel" at long ranges and great for deer, etc, I'd hardly call it an "elk cartridge", much less "ideal".

Your opinion is duly noted but these elk might not agree. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very nice kills, but I'm sure someone can post equally impressive elk pics taken with a 243, 250 Savage, 3030, etc. Still not an elk (kudu, sable, zebra....etc)cartridge... In *my* opinion with an "impressive" one elk to my name...

Last edited by jorgeI; 02/28/19.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice kills, but I'm sure someone can post equally impressive elk pics taken with a 243, 250 Savage, 3030, etc. Still not an elk (kudu, sable, zebra....etc)cartridge... In *my* opinion with an "impressive" one elk to my name...

Your stalwart ability to ignore real world results and cling to past bias is noteworthy. laugh

I shall post another 6.5MM Cm elk in your honor.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Magnificent animals.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm with Jorgel,

Couldn't count the cows I've seen hit the dirt to a 22lr.
Some weighing over a ton.
Darn certain it would work as well on cape buffalo,
But I'm not gonna be the tester.

These threads are funny.
Anyone with a brain knows that this is opinion, based on individual prejudices and experiences.
Not something that can be proven in any definitive way.

But I do "know" that i like a margin above "enough".

That said, I wouldn't let my Sweede be the reason to stay home, if it was the only
rifle I had to hunt elk.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Those black guns sure are popular with elk hunters it seems.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm building a large frame AR in 6.5 Hipster cause I wanna play with the round. I don't consider it the be-all end-all of rifle calibers though. That's the 6.5 Grendel, as it kills elk and moose at stupid ranges with minimal recoil, and it's cheap to load too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Your stalwart ability to ignore real world results and cling to past bias is noteworthy. laugh

I shall post another 6.5MM Cm elk in your honor.

[Linked Image]

I think it's more of one's ability to read and grasp what someone else is saying as the locus of the issue. Nobody and certainly not me, has uttered the word "inadequate".

From another thread posted by someone who I know can go toe-to-toe with numbers of elk, African game, you name it with anybody else on this forum:
Originally Posted by John55
I believe the old saying went something like "Beware the man with one gun, etc". In the past 30 some years I've done the bulk of my hunting with a 300mag. Prior to that I tried about everything from the 243 clear thru the 375 H&H to hunt deer, elk, antelope and varmints.When I finally got around to getting a 300 Win mag things changed, it shot great and didn't belt me into tomorrow, and boy did it put things on the ground right now! About this time I started hunting a lot, and that 300 came along on virtually every trip. Killed my share of most everything on license and never once had a 300 in my hands and wished for something different. For me, it's proven to be the single best cartridge I've ever used and one I have the utmost confidence in. I never had to try it but my old buddy Allen Day even shot 2 cape buffalo with his 300 after his 458 developed problems while on safari. I used larger calibers on dangerous game where mandated by law or the stern advice from the outfitter but except for those species I've killed virtually everything with the 300s. Many deer, elk and antelope have fallen to smaller calibers as well, in particular the 270, but when the chips are down or the big money has been spent on a far away hunt, there's no question which rifle I'll reach for. I don't care if others want to shoot 30/06s or 270s or any other cartridge, they all work in the right hands. I just never bonded with any of them like I did with the 300.

Last edited by jorgeI; 03/01/19.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
6.5 Creedmoor: ("The Millenial Caliber") The one caliber that can do anything you want and never experience hurt on your shoulders.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sanchez
6.5 Creedmoor: ("The Millenial Caliber") The one caliber that can do anything you want and never experience hurt on your shoulders.

Yeah, disabled people are obviously less manly than you. Retard.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Sanchez

I have no dog in this fight, but had to chuckle at that. Thanks for a Friday afternoon laugh.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Big Stick
shrapnel,

How many times a day,do you think about me? Not on a Special Day,just on the average?

HINT.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!................

Every time I flush the toilet, I wonder when you’re down there, if your mouth is still open...

LMAO That is rich!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 63 invisible), 2,809 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.