Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Calhoun
SCOTUS picks are awesome and badly needed, but only good for 25 years at most.

Constitutional amendments to balance the budget and term limits might last hundreds of years. And I can dream of a slightly changed 2nd Amendment to remove the argument that it applies to militia only. Maybe: A well regulated Militia comprised of citizens being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of all citizens to keep and bear Arms equal to that of the military shall not be infringed.

Both needed, though, you are right in that.

WOW!

You have that VERY wrong! Heller clearly spelled out the meaning of the 2nd and the prep. clause... it defined the fact it is an individual right, there is NO argument now about what militia means! The absolute last thing needed or desired is allowing ANY changes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Constitutional amendments to balance the budget and term limits might last hundreds of years. And I can dream of a slightly changed 2nd Amendment to remove the argument that it applies to militia only. Maybe: A well regulated Militia comprised of citizens being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of all citizens to keep and bear Arms equal to that of the military shall not be infringed.

WOW!

You have that VERY wrong! Heller clearly spelled out the meaning of the 2nd and the prep. clause... it defined the fact it is an individual right, there is NO argument now about what militia means! The absolute last thing needed or desired is allowing ANY changes.

You're correct... up until the time that another ruling comes down from SCOTUS changing the meaning.

Do you think Heller is forever? Nope. Just until there are enough liberals on the court to overrule it. There would be right now if Hillary had won. THAT'S how close we are.

Last edited by Calhoun; 09/19/17.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Republicans have enough votes to kick out any proposed Amendment they like. They'll need 8 of the 10 split states to ratify it before it becomes effective - but we need no Democrat help. The Democrats can't even conceive of passing an Amendment without 16 Republican states needing to ratify it.

Dude! While your math is fine, has it escaped you that the GOP controls the WH, House, and Senate and can't get crap done in a unified manner? I don't trust them in the states any more than in DC, and if they phouc up a CC we'd be doomed for eternity. No thanks!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
Dude! While your math is fine, has it escaped you that the GOP controls the WH, House, and Senate and can't get crap done in a unified manner? I don't trust them in the states any more than in DC, and if they phouc up a CC we'd be doomed for eternity. No thanks!

So rather than fixing things, your choice is to be content to sit back and watch it continue to get worse - hopefully slowly, but with no trying to correct things because that introduces "risk"?

Thank goodness they didn't feel that way in 1776.

I'll go with the Convention. Both our states are already on board having passed resolutions to call for one, so I guess you'll just have to wait and see what happens. Maybe you can petition your state rep to try to boycott it if they succeed in calling one - but as I've said before, the chances of calling one is slim to none. The federal politicians have a history of caving under when faced with the possibility of states pushing amendments on them. They know their ability to pillage the treasury will be in danger if it ever happens, so the threat is enough to get them to behave for a few years.

How many federal politicians leave office being worth less than $1 million? Bet it's few and far between.. and the main danger to it is state's taking the power back.

Last edited by Calhoun; 09/19/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will be like the senate, nothing will happen when they have the chance,

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
No amendment to the Constitution is any better then the judges interpreting it.

When we loose the courts, we loose The Republic, regardless of anything in the Constitution or any other foundational document.

In the absence of the rule of law, you only possess those rights you can defend.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
No amendment to the Constitution is any better then the judges interpreting it.

When we loose the courts, we loose The Republic, regardless of anything in the Constitution or any other foundational document.

In the absence of the rule of law, you only possess those rights you can defend.

That is true to a large extent... but when the Supreme Court openly subverts the Constitution in an unambiguous way, that's a call for things to happen. The trick is to make sure that it's unambiguous in the Constitution.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

WOW!

You're correct... up until the time that another ruling comes down from SCOTUS changing the meaning.

Do you think Heller is forever? Nope. Just until there are enough liberals on the court to overrule it. There would be right now if Hillary had won. THAT'S how close we are.

I prefer our odds outside a convention to our odds inside one...It is a major event when the court reverses itself...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't support term limits.

If Americans want a certain person in a certain position they should be allowed to vote for that person indefinitely.

We get the government we deserve.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Could almost care less about the red herring, swamp drainage issue.

What I want is one more Trump SCOTUS placement and then, busting up the 9th Circuit Court, creating another Circuit Court and appointing all 12 justices in it. After that, Donald can go on vacation until his next re-election.

McConnell and Ryan might ought to worry about their own re-elections from their respective constituants.

I like this.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't support term limits.

If Americans want a certain person in a certain position they should be allowed to vote for that person indefinitely.

We get the government we deserve.

Dave

as much as we all want to see that, it will never happen, such will bring civil war and there might be no more America.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will not be done.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer our odds outside a convention to our odds inside one...It is a major event when the court reverses itself...

You mean like in 1971 when the Supreme Court ruled that same sex marriages were a state issue, and then in 2015 how same sex marriage was now a federal issue to be imposed on the states?

All of 44 years. Yay.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There is a big difference between a Constitutional Convention and a Convention of States.
A Constitutional Convention would be very dangerous and could result in the destruction of our American system of government.
This was all explained a couple of years ago by Mark Levin and Sarah Palin and I posted here.
We are not calling for a constitutional convention. We want a Convention of States.

A Convention of States is one of the two methods in Article 5 of our Constitution for proposing and ratifying amendments.
This does not have the power to propose a new Constitution or to change the Constitution.
An Article 5 convention would propose ideas for fixing our broken system -- a corrupt system caused by a Congress that can’t function.
A Convention of States only has the authority to propose amendments to the states to vote on.

This is called States Rights.
And thanks to the Tea Party mid-term elections we have enough states.
Get these terms right and know what the hell is being debated.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
A Convention of States is one of the two methods in Article 5 of our Constitution for proposing and ratifying amendments.
This does not have the power to propose a new Constitution or to change the Constitution.
An Article 5 convention would propose ideas for fixing our broken system -- a corrupt system caused by a Congress that can’t function.
A Convention of States only has the authority to propose amendments to the states to vote on.

Agree with most of what you said, as I mentioned multiple times that any Amendments had to be ratified by 3/4ths of states just like a Senate proposed Amendment.

However, an Amendment by definition changes the Constitution. And there is no limit to how MUCH an amendment can change the Constitution.

Nothing crazy would come out of such a Convention, because there is no way you'd get 16 states fully controlled by Republicans to ratify it. Maybe in 100 years there will be enough Democrat states to push Amendments through, and that's fine.. that's how our country was built. But at this moment, the Republicans have the power to push through changes that we've been wanting for 100 years - or at least get a significant start on it. Not wanting to push those changes is EXACTLY the same thing that Republican politicians in Washington are guilty of - scared of change and happy with the status quo.

To sit back and whine about being scared of what "might" happen... cripes. We had FOUR Supreme Court justices vote against McDonald vs Chicago because even after Heller they refuse to accept that the 2nd Amendment applies to people. One more right then and Heller could have been overturned. We KNOW what will happen eventually, it's just a matter of a few decades before the Supreme Court likely has a liberal majority.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
everything about the constitution is currently based upon interpretation, mostly by the courts but also by the other two branches having their impact on gov't, society and our ways of living.

noone who authored the constitution are now alive. only their thoughts live on, as interpreted by the powers that be.

change is inevitable. we've seen nothing but various rates of change since the ratification. nothing has changed in that regard, nor likely to do so.

if and when "progressives" capture the scotus, then we'll all be dead. and that means our descendents probably placed the progressives in power. change is a two-edged sword.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,065
Posts18,463,483
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.