T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bangeye
Originally Posted by Tarkio
They are telling these kids that every time they meet someone in the field that is not a hunter, the have to face the person, open their chamber, clear the chamber (if there's anything in there), make safe and do all this so the person they've met can see and "FEELS" safe. This is geared towards their field course this Saturday at this time but they've mentioned you need to do it in the field also.

Funny i don't think that's so cringeworthy. if I meet someone in the field and approach them or stop to talk , I always open the chamber on my rifle/shotgun. There is a lot of momentum in bird hunting to allow only break action guns and require them to be open unless the dogs are on point and you are in position to shoot. That's pretty ridiculous imho. I think it's mainly coming from the Sporting clays and preserve hunters who pick it up from reading fancy English shooting magazines and fancy themselves as Lords of the manor. Obviously not someone that is used to rough shooting with or w/o a dog.
I'm a fan of hunter safety courses and don't think iT would be a bad idea that you have to have a hunter/firearms safety card to purchase a firearm. After all most people don't grow up in rural farm settings where the family gun was kept behind the door and everybody's father grandfather and uncles were hunters and taught them to shoot when they were tykes.Sorry if that offends some but you can't drive a car w/o passing a drives test.

I believe it should be required that you take at least 4 writing and/or english courses in a fully accredited 4-year college before you share your thoughts in writing. Too many of the general public just cannot express themselves properly without it.

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was not required to attend a hunter safety course, but my underage son was, so as his transportation, I decided to attend witrh him so I would keep an eye on what he was taught.
It was held at the local Gander Mt., and while they had examples of most of the weapons discussed, it seems they did not have a bolt action shotgun, a combination gun, or a SXS shotgun among the store's wares. On day two, I brought in mine for display. The instructors loved me, and asked me to help out on all future classes at that location, but it was unpaid, and as a single income household, that was not an option.
The instruction was good overall, but they did say harvest instead of kill. (I did inform them, that no one planted any of the wildlife).

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Finished up the classroom portion. Now he just has the field portion tomorrow left.

He is pretty stoked to have this done and start getting ready to get out there hunting.

Good for him. He's lucky to have a father mentoring him in hunting. Wish mine had.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks.

I was fortunate enough to take him and my daughter hunting for the first time 2 years ago. He and my daughter both got nice bucks.

Tremendously rewarding. They both enjoy hunting now but my son is pretty nuts about it. My daughter enjoys it, but I think the alone time with Dad is the priority in her eyes and hunting is a situation that produces that. I have a great picture of her skinning her buck a couple years ago. Very impressed that they both helped skin and process their deer.

This year they are going to have to help field dress too, unless it's a situation where it isn't safe or we are running out of time.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Don't get me wrong, there were good things in there. But as a whole, there was enough misinformation, factually incorrect direction and poor judgment shown in what they require that it's frustrating.

There's a really easy solution to that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

Don't get me wrong, there were good things in there. But as a whole, there was enough misinformation, factually incorrect direction and poor judgment shown in what they require that it's frustrating.

There's a really easy solution to that.

Already tended to that with my boy and the lead instructor.

Problem is, there were a number of participants that wouldn't know any better.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think you missed my point. The solution is to volunteer your time like all HE instructors do, and make the course better by presenting the right information.

It's really cool to have people tell you how much they enjoyed the class.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I think you missed my point. The solution is to volunteer your time like all HE instructors do, and make the course better by presenting the right information.

It's really cool to have people tell you how much they enjoyed the class.

I didn't miss it at all. Much of the crap they espouse is dictated by the higher ups. Had you read thoroughly, you would've seen where I wrote that. Other things were simple slip ups by the instructors.

When the FWP dictates a majority of the bullcrap, unless I get elected governor or get the governor to appoint me to the FWP board, not much I could do.

I also wrote the following:

It's been alright. Despite some misgivings, the guys and gals that donate their time to run these programs are great people and deserve respect.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I've been doing it for 10+ years now and I can tell you unequivocally that no one dictates what I say in the classroom or requires that I disseminate "misinformation, factually incorrect direction, or poor judgment" as you call it. There's certain information we have to go over, but it's up to us to makes sure that what we present is good information. We develop our own presentations and we have a fair amount of freedom in that. If CP&W came out with a "requirement" that we teach students to open their actions for anyone they meet in the field, I (and the rest of the guys I teach with) would modify the "requirement" and teach what we know to be sensible and right. And if they wanted to, they could remove us from the program for not toeing the line. But I'm 99.5% sure that wouldn't happen because we're all volunteers and they need us to make the program work.

So if you're really concerned about the class and concerned about making sure all the information presented is factually correct and in good judgment, there remains one easy way to ensure that.

Or you could just complain about it on an internet forum and see if that helps any.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, I've been doing it for 10+ years now and I can tell you unequivocally that no one dictates what I say in the classroom or requires that I disseminate "misinformation, factually incorrect direction, or poor judgment" as you call it. There's certain information we have to go over, but it's up to us to makes sure that what we present is good information. We develop our own presentations and we have a fair amount of freedom in that. If CP&W came out with a "requirement" that we teach students to open their actions for anyone they meet in the field, I (and the rest of the guys I teach with) would modify the "requirement" and teach what we know to be sensible and right. And if they wanted to, they could remove us from the program for not toeing the line. But I'm 99.5% sure that wouldn't happen because we're all volunteers and they need us to make the program work.

So if you're really concerned about the class and concerned about making sure all the information presented is factually correct and in good judgment, there remains one easy way to ensure that.

Or you could just complain about it on an internet forum and see if that helps any.

Where exactly have you been "doing it" for 10 years? Betting not Montana.

Did you not read again?

I stated where the one instructor, older guy I liked, constantly was catching and correcting himself when he used the term weapon. He admitted to me that using the term weapon, was verboten.

And when I mentioned that the instructor admitted he didn't like the open action thing, but he told me that was explicitly listed in the documentation he was provided that they were to teach this.

But hey, you keep living in your world make-believe world and hack on me for sharing my experience. And jump to conclusions that aren't there. You have a track record of doing that. Guess we shouldn't expect any different from you.

Last edited by Tarkio; 09/27/17.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Where exactly have you been "doing it" for 10 years? Betting not Montana.

Did you not read again?

I stated where the one instructor, older guy I liked, constantly was catching and correcting himself when he used the term weapon. He admitted to me that using the term weapon, was verboten.

And when I mentioned that the instructor admitted he didn't like the open action thing, but he told me that was explicitly listed in the documentation he was provided that they were to teach this.

But hey, you keep living in your world make-believe world and hack on me for sharing my experience. And jump to conclusions that aren't there. You have a track record of doing that. Guess we shouldn't expect any different from you.

LOL, I see I struck a nerve. Normally I'd say that's a good thing because for most people it makes them think.

Obviously I don't teach the course in Montana because I don't live there. My state of residence is right under my name (and you say I'm the one who doesn't read). But if you think Montana has a corner on requirements that don't sit right with its Hunter Ed. teachers you'd be badly mistaken.

We have a few "requirements" right now that don't make it into our classroom. And since this went over your head the first time, I'll repeat it--we're all volunteers and the state could not run its program without us. It's no different in Montana. So if CP&W wants to come into my classroom and kick me out of the program for not doing it their way, they are more than welcome to. I have better things to do than teach new hunters things I don't agree with. My attitude has always been that if the bureaucrats at CP&W want the course taught "just so," then they can teach it themselves. But the fact is, they can't teach it themselves, and we all know that. So I continue to teach it my way. Who knows, maybe one day they will come into the class and kick me out, if so that's fine with me. The guys who taught your class could do the same but they choose not to.

So what I'm telling you is not "make-believe," it's fact. And I'm not "hacking on you for sharing your experience," I'm hacking on you for whining about something that's well within your power to fix. All you need to do is volunteer your time, same as everyone else.

This reminds me of coaching my sons' basketball teams. Some parents would volunteer and help however they could. Others never did. When the latter would comment on their sons' playing time, or offer advice on things that might be done differently I had a standard reply that involved them volunteering their time. They never took me up on it but at least they got the message which was, "if you want it done your way, there's an easy way to make that happen."

And by the way, I believe the avoidance of the word "weapon" originated in NRA courses, not with the state of Montana. We had a new instructor who wanted to implement that in our class, he was a former NRA instructor and he said that's how they teach it, at least in the class he taught. The rationale being, a weapon is used against people and a firearm is used for hunting. We did not use that concept in our class.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Yes. I went with son

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1lesfox, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,642
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.