Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Can't believe the most common and catastrophic problem with the 6xmq hasn't been mentioned. I was aiming at a deer last season when it occurred. It was mounted to a Montana which was part of the problem being so light. The extremely heavy swfa made the gun top heavy and caused the gun to flip 180deg upside down and caused me to miss a once in a lifetime buck. I added 10lbs of lead to the stock of my svelte little Kimber and it seems to have solved the problem. Still,it's a Known issue with these scopes that deserves being mentioned.

This is a serious problem, i can relate I put a 6x S.S. on my 270 Ti and after shooting out to 600yds it flipped also. Junk scope. wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep, the Tipover Chronicles!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I reviewed the posts from the old thread. I'm not sure what to make of it all since the sample size is low. But, my take away is that there were more issues than I expected. And from dudes that I feel are credible, don't hold punches or show favoritism. For whatever reason, I usually hear more about issues with the 1-4x Classic, but there were other models mentioned.

For conversation purposes:

If I counted correctly, there were 14 reports of issues, total.

Scopes that failed to hold zero or track properly = 11. Of those, 4 were the Classic 1-4x. As a side note, a member here had the same 1-4x model fail, but reported it elsewhere. Of the remaining 7, there was one 3-9x and one 3-15x. I believe the 5 left were fixed power Classics.

There was one report of side focus knob issue on the 3-15x. I've noted that the SF knob on that scope seems pretty delicate.

There was one with canted reticle (3-15x), and one bad out of the box. Not sure if these are "failures", or QC issues. Either way, I added them to the failed tally.

J

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/21/17.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I have two 3-15s and love them. Took one bouncing and slogging around Prince of Wales a year ago. No issues. Lots of tripping. At times almost tossing the rifle forward and bushwacking to it....repeat. I dial both out to 800 and back often. No issues.

I would like to ask......why is everyone sooooooo hot on the 3-9X? I really REALLY like Xs. I never held or used a 3-9 SS. Been in the cart and almost purchased often. But 9X to me.....is a very very limiting factor in a gun that will go beyond 300 yards. But this is a "Campfire Thing". Everyone on here seems to like 2.5-8X or 3-9X. Maybe I'm just a dumb kid from a new era.....

What are you shooting at? Moose or mice?

I generally prefer to use less magnification for less wiggle, wobble and heartbeat feedback from the sight picture. I practice so much at 300 yards on smallish targets with "only" 6x that a deer looks pretty big when I'm drawing a bead.

Saturday I mounted an old Vari-X II 3-9x40 on a Rem 700 in 308 Winchester. I set it up for point and shoot out to 200+ yards with a mild load. On 6x the reticle is 4 moa from the center to where the duplex thickens, which is just about the right hold for 300 yards. I tacked up a blank sheet of letter size paper at 300 and plunked four shots into .72 moa holding center with the transition point of the duplex.

If you prefer more magnification then go with it, but don't think you have to have it to do well. (Barring eyesight issues and the like of course.)

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Up until recently I had a 3-9 on my hunting rifle. It occurred to me I have shot every animal I have ever shot with the scope on 3x. I don't find myself shooting far so I may be in the minority. I just put a 6x on, we'll see how it goes. Not sure what to do with all those extra Xs!

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by prm
Up until recently I had a 3-9 on my hunting rifle. It occurred to me I have shot every animal I have ever shot with the scope on 3x. I don't find myself shooting far so I may be in the minority. I just put a 6x on, we'll see how it goes. Not sure what to do with all those extra Xs!

Funny.... I just went back to a 3-9 SS on the main hunting rig (7 Mag). I had one years ago with the standard Mil-Dot... and like you, I found I always had it on the same power.... though that was maxed out at 9x. So, I dumped it and got two fixed 10x SS for just about the same money.

The past couple of years we've been hunting elk a lot more... and I can appreciate the virtues of a little lower power when you're deep in the schitt.

I will say the new 3-9 with the MQ is noticeably brighter and more crisp than the older MD version I had... and it's better optically than a 3.5-10x40 VXIII I had laying around.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 40 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,509
Posts18,452,629
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.