Hop To
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
but, what does it all mean?

i've asked before, and i'm willing to let someone take another jab at an explanation.

i don't want to get rich without working for it, but don't want to go broke either.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gus it means people are losing faith in Federal Reserve notes. Have you noticed China is backing the yuan with gold and Saudi Arabia is trading oil in gold ?

The crypto currencies are free from third party involvement i.e. the government

Don't ask me how they work, this Luddite hasen't a clue!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by irfubar
Gus it means people are losing faith in Federal Reserve notes. Have you noticed China is backing the yuan with gold and Saudi Arabia is trading oil in gold ?

The crypto currencies are free from third party involvement i.e. the government

Don't ask me how they work, this Luddite hasen't a clue!

well, as a fellow Luddite we do seem to have something in common.

the whole thingy is mind-boggling in my view of currency.

and yes, china, russia & maybe others are afoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The people who are selling this odd money, they area accepting cash right?
Makes me thing of those selling precious metals, it it's such a good thing why don't they keep it.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Tracks
Makes me thing of those selling precious metals, it it's such a good thing why don't they keep it.

Simple. Lots of money to be made selling untraceable currency to users of the dark web. Most of the people selling were early factoring miners, no capital outlay that can be turned into serious cash.

In the early days of bitcoin you could mine the primes using an enthusiast class desktop. Factoring was easy, so most people in the know already had the equipment. Now, so many primes have been factored, that you need to run a farm of multi-gpu specialty boxes to get a hit.

Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have value because people place value in a currency that is completely untraceable. The ultimate open source fiat currency.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by midget
Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have value because people place value in a currency that is completely untraceable.

That and the quantity must be "mined" with computer calculations which gives it something in common with other commodities without the environmental damage. Dollars are being printed with abandon.

Last edited by Whiptail; 10/12/17.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks

In the early days of bitcoin you could mine the primes using an enthusiast class desktop. Factoring was easy, so most people in the know already had the equipment. Now, so many primes have been factored, that you need to run a farm of multi-gpu specialty boxes to get a hit.

Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have value because people place value in a currency that is completely untraceable. The ultimate open source fiat currency.

That makes some sense. I have a client who invests in 'computing power' to resell later at a profit. It sounds like folks are investing in the capacity to factor in the hopes it will become more valuable. He tried explaining it to me but I don't really get it. I don't invest in something I don't understand so I'm out of it.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

People may believe it is untraceable but when used for pay there is a hard record. I just watched a Nightly Business Report segment that included an interview with a Duke University professor. He said it would be the LAST form of currency a bad guy should want to use, but people have their own impressions of how it works.

If I don't understand it I don't invest $$ in it.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's only traceable if you do a "public" transaction. If you want to meet face-to-face with someone somehow, and exchange actual pieces of the computer code algorithm, it can never be traced (similar to a "cash" transaction).

To invest in cryptocurrency, you don't need to understand how it is created/mined/networked. At this point, you can simply convert some of your dollars into cryptos on an exchange that is setup for that purpose. You can buy an entire single chain of Bitcoin right now for somewhere between $3000 to $5000 dollars. Similar to buying gold on an exchange, you can either have them hold onto the computer code in your name, or you can get ahold of the actual code itself and hide it under your mattress. Once you have the "chain" of code, no one else can ever have it unless you give it out to them.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
some blurp out there on the 'net that russia is going to have the first gov't sanctioned or authorized cryptocurrency. something about helping trade. it appears to be complicated.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have value because people place value in a currency that is completely untraceable.

That and the quantity must be "mined" with computer calculations which gives it something in common with other commodities without the environmental damage. Dollars are being printed with abandon.

How many dollars are actually being printed? Since most of our money is just computer records, are they actually printing it or just saying it now exists in a computer?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,193
Posts18,465,845
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.