Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Started when I was 12 years old. At that time my buddies and I would hitch from our small (pop 576) town to the nearby (12 miles) city (pop 11,000) for whatever attractions small cities held for small-town boys. Usually it was to go to the movies, visit someone's cousin, get a pizza.... We never went alone and we always got picked up by someone we knew...in those days, living in a small border town, everybody knew everybody anyway. Before I went in the Navy at 19 I never had a vehicle of my own. I went to college 100 miles away, hitched back and forth. That ended first semester and I went to work in Syracuse, 120 miles away...hitched back and forth weekends. Hitched a couple hundred miles to my uncle's place to go deer hunting with the family....often had a cased long gun with me, no problem. Once, heading home from Syracuse an early '50's Ford came screeching to a stop, I went running up to jump in just as a cop pulled up behind them. Two guys in the front, six pack between them, open beers all around....like a lot of guys from Northern New York they worked in Syracuse during the week, went home weekends, drinking all the way....the way it was in those days. Cop took one look, asked all the pertinent questions, said to the guys in the car, "You're all too drunk to drive." Looked a me, said, "You got a license?" "Yep" "Okay," pointed a me, "I'll let you guys go, but he drives." I drove them a couple hours north until , got out at a fork in the road where our ways parted. Great trip...

I've picked up a lot of hitchhikers over the years, never had any problems, but I don't any more. Most of them you see look like they'd just reek of cigarette smoke, makes my nose run just to look at them....don't need it stinking up my truck. Also, today people have it pretty good someone who hasn't got a vehicle of their own.....wellllll.......hmmmmm......you know what I mean?

Mathew 22: 37-39

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hitched a few times in the 60's and 70's. Mostly in Colorado and New Mexico. Never had a problem or impression that I remember.

I would pick up hitchhikers in those days too but kind of got selective about it unless they were obviously stranded and then only a family group with small kids.

A friend of mine picked up a guy when he was going to a place during the Sturgis Rally a few years ago. They guy stabbed him. He came out okay because there were people close enough to call 911 and get him to the hospital but that incident cured me of being a good samaritan for just about anybody.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ever look back in the rear view mirror when you pass a hiker?

No, what do you see when you do?

Birds!

Lot's of birds. ! smile

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Second hand story....

...had a coworker about my same age, she grew up on a farm up on the Texas Panhandle. Told the story of a young woman hitchhiker passing through back in the '70's raped by a local Sheriff's Deputy, said he always was a rotten sumbitch, got away with the rape, and never expressed remorse, saying the girl shoulda expected that when she went hitchhiking in the first place.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i've hitchiked, got a blow job once.

Same happened to one of my best friends!

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Done it a lot in the past, both. Some interesting situations but nothing "scary".

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.