Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sounds like you have it covered nicely.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by jwp475

I haven’t shot every silvertip in every caliber but, the ones I’ve shot and chronographed in 41 mag and 357 mag were not much over 1200 fps, did not expand or penetrate well when compared to other Bullets in the same class.

I have never tested the 357 Magnum Winchester Silvertips but the .41 Magnum was made mainly for a defensive load which is why the velocity is only in the low-to-mid 1200. Winchester wanted to load that would be more controllable. In the testing that I have done the bullet expands very well at that velocity and penetrates the exact same amount as other rounds and its class as in hollow points. CorBon has basically the same load running about 50 ft per second faster using the 170 grain Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavity bullet.

GG....I understand what you are saying about Silvertips but my theory with a .38 Super is I want as close to 357 Magnum velocities as possible. Otherwise I might as well just carry my Glock 19 and get 50% more carrying capacity.

Bob
Bob,

One of these days I'll bag me a LWC in .38 Super. Right now my only Super is my full sized government, and I only carry that once or twice a year...I didn't exactly buy it for a carry gun. When I'm carrying a LWC in Super on a regular basis, I'll take my ammunition choice a little more seriously. Silvertips are more out of convenience than preference. I'm confident they'll do the job when called upon, but I know there are much better loads in that wonderful cartridge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM

I haven’t shot every silvertip in every caliber but, the ones I’ve shot and chronographed in 41 mag and 357 mag were not much over 1200 fps, did not expand or penetrate well when compared to other Bullets in the same class.

I have never tested the 357 Magnum Winchester Silvertips but the .41 Magnum was made mainly for a defensive load which is why the velocity is only in the low-to-mid 1200. Winchester wanted to load that would be more controllable. In the testing that I have done the bullet expands very well at that velocity and penetrates the exact same amount as other rounds and its class as in hollow points. CorBon has basically the same load running about 50 ft per second faster using the 170 grain Sierra Jacketed Hollow Cavity bullet.

GG....I understand what you are saying about Silvertips but my theory with a .38 Super is I want as close to 357 Magnum velocities as possible. Otherwise I might as well just carry my Glock 19 and get 50% more carrying capacity.

Bob

I used 4 layers of denim in front of water soaked news print and the Silvio in both 357 & 41 magnum were slow, lacked penetration and good expansion. I was not impressed. The B.B. 170 grain JHC at 1530 fps out of my 4” M-57 was dam right impressive. Recoil to me was very manageable in the M-57.

I bagged two medium sized hogs in the same day with factory .357 Silvertips back in the '80's and all 3 rounds fired did exactly what I would expect them to do. I doubt the current Silvertips are the same bullet I used in the '80's, I know Winchester has played with jacket thickness and the metallurgy of the core over the years to improve the Silvertip line...so that 1980's experience seems about worthless today.

When I lived in Arkansas I did take a "coyote of convenience" with my .38 Super while toting Silvertips. Riding in the back of the trailer picking up hay bails, he just ran right out in front of us and stood there... Pretty much leveled the Yote at just under 50 yards. Bullet wasn't recovered (which kinda surprised me a bit). So clearly it works, but as I said; there are much better loads. I love the Buffalo Bore 147gr JHP at around 1150fps.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have not had much luck with BB ammo. They never meet specs in several of my guns. Shoots dirty too.

I am looking forward to trying out the BB 220gr 10mm stuff someone gave me. The chronograph will be there when I do. Box states 1200fps. We will see.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not currently carrying a lightweight commander daily, but have at times. For one period of about 3 years, it went with me everywhere in all seasons.

What Brand gun: Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II (w/ night sights added)
Why: I handled it at the gun counter. It looked good and felt good. No science to the decision whatsoever.

[Linked Image]

Caliber: .45
Why: Because I wanted a .45.

Factory Loads: Yes, currently it's loaded with Hornady 230 gr XTP +P for EDC
Why: I had a list of different types of ammo that I was willing to carry for EDC. This round made my list. When I went shopping it was the only round on the list in stock. I bought a box and tested it for feed-function-accuracy and it worked. I went back and bought more. I plan on switching to Fed HST's, however.

Hand loads: Yes, for practice, classes, and bowling pin shooting.
Why: Cheaper and to have specific loads for specific tasks.

Practice Loads: 230 gr cast lead, 230 gr ball, 230 grain Rainier plated HP's, 185 gr Nosler, 185 gr Rainier plated HP's. Most everything gets shot over Titegroup. My wife's practice loads are over low-book W231.
Why: I shoot lead and Rainiers because they are cheap and accurate. Titegroup gives more rounds per pound of powder and meters well. Bullets go where I aim. I might have gone with AA5 or something else had it been available, but during the big shortage, I scored about 12 lbs of Titegroup. I have no reason to switch away from it.

Holsters: I bought two built by a member here on the fire--gregintenn. One is a basic black leather IWB, and the other an OWB. For the price, they are a sweet! I'm very blessed to have them. If gregintenn ever comes through my area, I'd be pleased to meet him and buy dinner.
Why: See above.

[Linked Image]

And I'll add to the list of inquiries...

Magazines Kimber or Tripp Research.
Why: Magazines aren't crazy expensive. The difference in price between the cheapest and the most expensive isn't enough to make it a factor in your decision making process. You can get cheap mags for $15 and expensive ones for $45. I have had two Wilson Combat mags fail to feed properly (one in this 1911 and one in another). My Tripps and, surprisingly, my Kimber Tac's have been flawless. I know it's cool to hate on Kimber mags, but I go with what works. Like most of you, I can afford to run any mag I want. It's Tripp Research and Kimber for me.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Great rig there Waders.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.