Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 24 1 2 22 23 24
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
There is simply nothing as plug and play in a 2.815 mag box.

The 6.5 CM has factory ammo available in Walmart that is suitable for bull elk beyond 500yds.

Federal Gold Medal Berger with the 130gr Hybrid. It's hot for a self loader.

[Linked Image]

I was wondering about those loads for game and our Walmart is stocked with it.

Lethal and seems very accurate in everything.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Hi Mule Deer & other rifle fans

I totally agree with what Mule Deer has advised us on concerning the 6.5 CM vs .260 Rem vs 6.5 x 55. I own a 6.5 x 55 CZ 550 and I am totally satisfied. However, if I knew sixteen years ago(when I bought the rifle) what I know now, I would buy the the 6.5 CM. All of the convenient rifle perks are with the 6.5 CM as John Barsness has explained to us. I have mostly used my 6.5 x 55 as a low recoiling ground hog gun, with great success using 100 gr Sierra flat base bullets. The rifle is so long throated that I can just barely seat the 100 gr Sierra flat base bullet deep enough and still get close to the lands to be ground hog accurate. I am a reloader and can make my 6.5 x 55 very accurate. I just received two lbs. of RL22 and will be loading the 140 gr Berger hunting bullets to as much safe velocity as is possible. I hope to get 2900 fps BUT we will see what my Chrony tells me. My CZ 550 barrel is 23.6" long with a 8.6" twist.

I must admit to never shooting any big game with a factory load. When I started shooting at age 10 all of my friends fathers were reloaders. SO, I learned to reload and have done so ever since....... I have only shot one box of factory ammo in my lifetime. I forgot to pick up my ammo when I went hunting and purchased a box of .270 130 gr Winchester Silvertips from a local country store. One shot and Mr. Whitetail Buck did a bang flop. I was getting 7/8 in. groups. TOTALLY GOOD ENOUGH!

I appreciate the advice MD and others have given me on loading the .280 Ack Imp. I had no loading info and this forum gave me a starting point for my son's .280 Ack Imp.

Thanks everyone

roanmtn

Last edited by roanmtn; 12/09/18.

Glenn Campbell
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by WAM

True enough. But life’s too short to shoot fugly rifles, drink cheap whisky, or take ugly girls to the dance. Happy Trails

For the record, ugly girls usually fugk like banshees.

That's why I take them to the dance. The other boys will be inside wining and dinning and I'll be in the truck getting a BJ before we head home.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have bought two 6.5 x 55 rifles since the creedmoor come out. Im of the opinion, the Scandinavian is superior if you hand load. Today’s 6.5 x 55 rifles are throated long these days.I can jam these long bullets or kiss the lands if I desire,without running out of magazine length. I don’t see this as a liability. (Very far from it) The 5 gr edge in capacity is even greater when actually loaded rounds are compared. The creedmore has the bullet taking up case capacity where the 6.5 x 55 does not. The 6.5 x 55 easily outruns the creed at much lower pressure and has the potential to hit the next node if velocity is your thing.

Also the pressure ring on the bullets is seated above the case neck shoulder junction which is conducive to good accuracy. The long neck on the 6.5 x 55 also adds a lot of latitude when seating bullets as well.

With today’s bullets getting longer,more streamlined and heavier , the 6.5 x 55 just makes a lot more sense from a handloader/long range plinker....such as myself.

Of course ymmv.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd be tempted to find a 6.5x55 (what, not a Creed?!!) with a beautiful walnut stock (what not weather proof!) in a CZ550 (heavier than you need and once was commie!) and run 156 grain Norma Oryx factory fodder (factory ammo, horrors!) thru it for everything... FF II ballistic plex reticle (no turrets!) ... just to be the 6.5 Contrarian at the local range...

I already have reloading dies and brass. and by not reloading i am being more Campfire Contrarian... at least for awhile...

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Dogger
I'd be tempted to find a 6.5x55 (what, not a Creed?!!) with a beautiful walnut stock (what not weather proof!) in a CZ550 (heavier than you need and once was commie!) and run 156 grain Norma Oryx factory fodder (factory ammo, horrors!) thru it for everything... FF II ballistic plex reticle (no turrets!) ... just to be the 6.5 Contrarian at the local range...

I already have reloading dies and brass. and by not reloading i am being more Campfire Contrarian... at least for awhile...

The Cz 550 is a very nice rifle in that chambering. I was blind sided by the fact that it came with a plastic composite floor plate. Apparently you have to order that special.

You could do a lot worse in making that purchase. It shoots amazingly!!The rifle was a little rough cycling at first but smoothed up fast and feeds those long slender cartridges without a glitch. I guess that would be an advantage to the Scandinavian as well. It feeds fantastic in both rifles that I own. ( Tikka ,cz )

The only advantage I see for the Creed has over the Scandinavian, is factory ammunition.If you are limited to factory ammo get a creed for sure. Thats really about it. If factory ammunition was my only choice, I’d own a Creed as well.

As far as chambers varying wildly? Both the tikka and the cz headspace within .001” of an inch of one another. The throats vary by .015. I would hardly call that wildly. Maybe that’s the luck of the draw as well? I dunno....

I’ve owned .300wm chamberings where head to shoulder dimensions varied more than .035” thousands between rifles. Not a misprint, 35 thousandths. That’s varying “wildly”

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by WAM

True enough. But life’s too short to shoot fugly rifles, drink cheap whisky, or take ugly girls to the dance. Happy Trails

For the record, ugly girls usually fugk like banshees.

That's why I take them to the dance. The other boys will be inside wining and dinning and I'll be in the truck getting a BJ before we head home.

You fellers should start a Feminine Fables Forum.😛

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 24 of 24 1 2 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 264mag, 39 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,151
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.