Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've taken guys to stalk black buck with a bow and been successful in sneaking on them bedded down mid day a number of times.

We tried it time and again on Axis with a bow and never did get anyone one, we had one close call on a mover buck... I guessed the trail almost right for the bowhunter....

Now we've managed to get plenty close for a rifle shot, but its FAR from easy.

Pretty deer, great eating!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been hunting axis deer on molokai all my life and gotten a few. They don't have scent glands, we just eat them, usually teriyaki style grilled on charcoal. We're mostly subsistence hunters and my dad taught me that "you can't eat the horns" so we shoot what's available, preferably on our side of the gulch as near as possible to the truck. Lately a few young guys have been taking the horns only and abandoning all the meat. This is a big waste and hopefully can be corrected. Mel on Molokai. Ps no chronic wasting disease or Lyme ticks-so far.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice going 'Gwe and JG, good shot placement too, JG, Axis loin is to be given away only to someone that gave you a kidney or similar. grin it is truly outstanding!

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
We made a trip before the bucks had rubbed, but it was a fun hunt with my old pal.. This year the deer didn't co-operate... Saw a few big bucks, but they made themselves scarce.. Shot one doe, the first I had ever taken.. Then the last morning we spotted this little guy, my pal said take him so I did... As I walked down to find him, my pal said the big bucks flew out of the heavy brush and over the hill. Such is hunting..

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Also had a turkey tag... Took a nice gobbler .. Didn't expect to find one on this ranch, but we took him anyway!!

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
IC B2

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Looking like some tender vittles at your place WCH! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on a fine hunt. An axis deer is one of my bucket list hunt critters for sure.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Looks like you fellas had a great time. One of the nicest/most unique wall mounts i’ve ever see was done with an axis. If I remember right I think I heard it took two hides to make it. I’m no good at posting pics but it can be found at this texas bowhunter website.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678672

Congrats on a great hunt.

Last edited by texas_hawg; 06/03/18.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like to go for a drive around here to do some deer spotting. Sometimes I will see a field with fifty or more deer in it and when I stop to glass the first ones to move out are the Axis. They will also run farther than the whitetails usually. They out compete the Whitetails with the year around breeding and the ability to graze and brows but in most locations they have not reduced the whitetails although that is the concern. If you get the chance The Real Ale Brewing Company makes a pretty good IPA called Axis, give it a try.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Boy howdy am I glad the Poobah invited me to go with him, and even more gladder I shot the meat buck I shot (a 200lb neat buck). I cut the back strap steaks into 1" cuts, doused with a little Montreal Steak Seasoning and garlic salt. I pan seared them in garlic butter to medium rare. I've eaten my fair share of wild game, including many different African antelope that were by far the best tasting wild meat I'd ever had........up until now. This axis was at least as good as my all time favorite of gemsbok and/or a young kudu bull.

Thanks again Ingwe!

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree 100%. Axis is really tough to beat. Even the old bucks are good. I've made a believer out of few folks with bacon wrapped backstrap steaks on a hot mequite fire.

Last edited by TxHunter80; 06/04/18.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Boy howdy am I glad the Poobah invited me to go with him, and even more gladder I shot the meat buck I shot (a 200lb neat buck). I cut the back strap steaks into 1" cuts, doused with a little Montreal Steak Seasoning and garlic salt. I pan seared them in garlic butter to medium rare. I've eaten my fair share of wild game, including many different African antelope that were by far the best tasting wild meat I'd ever had........up until now. This axis was at least as good as my all time favorite of gemsbok and/or a young kudu bull.

Thanks again Ingwe!

[Linked Image]

Glad it lived up to its billing JG!

Now try some on the grill..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a knife & fork----let me know what time to show up. smile Bob

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Congrats to both you guys on a fine hunt. As you both have mentioned they are a very challenging animal to hunt. I'm in a motel in Houston as I type this but I'll be hunting them tomorrow evening near Sonora and I can't wait. Take care guys, I hope we can chase them together next time! Bev

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 06/10/18.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Congrats to both you guys on a fine hunt. As you both have mentioned they are a very challenging animal to hunt. I'm in a motel in Houston as I type this but I'll be hunting them tomorrow evening near Sonora and I can't wait. Take care guys, I hope we can chase them together next time! Bev

I can see how this low fence axis hunting can be a bit addicting. I'm already wanting to go again. Good luck on your hunt!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

Hope you get a monster Bev! Timing is sure right!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.