Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
One of the biggest fallacies which is usually expressed by liberal and anti-gun individuals is the belief that LE will protect you from being harmed. I have cops in my family and I have cops and SWAT members as good friends that I hunt and shoot with. Everyone one of them have said their shift goal is to make sure they and their cop brothers/sisters go home each night in one piece.

Within my group of friends, three have been involved in “good shootings”. Two of the three 10X’d the bad guy at the scene and one piece of schit arrived DOA at the hospital after my buddy lit him up with his HK MP5.

Every single one of them is a strong advocate for civilians having a concealed carry license for self protection. Aside from their departments SOP for immediately entering a school or shopping mall where an active shooter is called out. They will almost without question post-up if they are first on scene and wait for a cover car or two to arrive before they will make contact on any call of a person with a gun, robbery in progress, domestic beef, or suspicious person lurking around at night.

If the first car on scene “doesn’t immediately” see a bad guy to engage. They will wait for a cover car. They know these minutes waiting for cover could mean the life of a victim, but it’s not what they are expected to do by their department...”Be Safe Out There” at the end of their roll call means for them to look after themselves and their brothers.

Most of us who are gun friendly people know this is just one reason concealed carry of a legal firearm is necessary. Nobody is responsible or mandated for saving your life, cops included. I know this, all of us know this. We may think or wish that all who wear a badge are gonna be heroic and run “solo” into an unknown call from a victim for help...”Don’t Run To Your Death” is trained into them. 😎

Actually, the goal is to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. You can't help anybody if you need help and resources are devided with each additional problem. It would behoove everyone to remember that, no matter what you do for a living.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
One of the biggest fallacies which is usually expressed by liberal and anti-gun individuals is the belief that LE will protect you from being harmed. I have cops in my family and I have cops and SWAT members as good friends that I hunt and shoot with. Everyone one of them have said their shift goal is to make sure they and their cop brothers/sisters go home each night in one piece.

Within my group of friends, three have been involved in “good shootings”. Two of the three 10X’d the bad guy at the scene and one piece of schit arrived DOA at the hospital after my buddy lit him up with his HK MP5.

Every single one of them is a strong advocate for civilians having a concealed carry license for self protection. Aside from their departments SOP for immediately entering a school or shopping mall where an active shooter is called out. They will almost without question post-up if they are first on scene and wait for a cover car or two to arrive before they will make contact on any call of a person with a gun, robbery in progress, domestic beef, or suspicious person lurking around at night.

If the first car on scene “doesn’t immediately” see a bad guy to engage. They will wait for a cover car. They know these minutes waiting for cover could mean the life of a victim, but it’s not what they are expected to do by their department...”Be Safe Out There” at the end of their roll call means for them to look after themselves and their brothers.

Most of us who are gun friendly people know this is just one reason concealed carry of a legal firearm is necessary. Nobody is responsible or mandated for saving your life, cops included. I know this, all of us know this. We may think or wish that all who wear a badge are gonna be heroic and run “solo” into an unknown call from a victim for help...”Don’t Run To Your Death” is trained into them. 😎

Actually, the goal is to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. You can't help anybody if you need help and resources are devided with each additional problem. It would behoove everyone to remember that, no matter what you do for a living.

You may understand that and I understand that but there a lot of civilians that don’t...Many believe the first cruiser on seen should act... Why are they waiting??? What are they waiting for??? Like those words have never been said before...Especially by liberals 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
Enquiring minds want to know. Here's some rough data.

Deflection by glass

a second

third that was likely peer reviewed

and a video

I couldn't find a date on this article, but it's clearly an older report based on the type written font and ammunition used (lead 38special and 357mag.). It does however, support what my thoughts were regarding the ballistics of shooting through a windshield. (I can't judge the officer, as I don't know all the details, or the nature of the suspects, etc.) I do know this though, any disturbance to the bullet's flight early in the flight will lead to significantly larger dispersion of the bullet's flight down range. As any good rifle shooter knows, a cross wind near the muzzle is far worse than cross wind at the target. This is the same principle here, mess up the bullets flight as it leaves the barrel and it's probably not going to hit where intended. Compound this variation with shooting from a moving vehicle at a moving vehicle and any hit would be impressive. The other question that comes up is, after going through the windshield, what condition was the projectile in to penetrate another windshield or sheet metal? Looked like he was using 40sw., but couldn't discern the bullet make. Whatever happened, it worked out for the officer and two more bad guys were taken off the street.

Worst part is now all the ammunition testing standards are going to have to be redone. Forget shooting through denim and 18" of gel, going to need to pass through two windshields and an engine block now. Might have to bring back the 10mm.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 07/20/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Of course. Complaints stemming from lack of insight come with most professions. I get the same thing with being a fishing guide. "You people kill too many fish. You make way too much money for what you do. Why should you get a tip? People don't tip me for going to work." , Etc.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would rather be a fishing guide on a river any day over being a cop. Especially today. If I don’t like my fishing customer, the dock is my destination to rid myself of the idiot.
Cops deal with foolery everyday 24/7. I’m amazed that all of my friends have continued in LE with everything they see and deal with. Oh, and don’t forget the inside politics of a big department. Sheesh! 😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn’t the FBI run the carousel of caliber testing from carrying a S&W 10mm, then moved to a 357 Sig, and now the 40 cal? I don’t know for sure...Seems they ran ballistic tests on almost every known material under the sky
I have to believe that the trailing cop was tired of taking direct fire from the SUV and was hoping beyond hope that if he got some hits on the SUV it would possibly encourage the bad guy to just drive instead of shoot. Just a guess.

And, yes. I would have done a mag dump through my windshield if I had closed with 25 yards of the SUV. And, another part of a mag would have been unleashed by me once he came to a stop as I’m walking up to the driver side window while firing. 😎

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Winning fighters and coaches evaluate everything done critically and are hyper focused on removing weaknesses. Losers high five each other “because they played”.

True statement.

I don't care if Mother Theresa's niece was in the car with the shooters. Once you fire on a LEO, you just signed your death warrant, and everyone else's in the vehicle/house etc...

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bowfisher
Winning fighters and coaches evaluate everything done critically and are hyper focused on removing weaknesses. Losers high five each other “because they played”.

True statement.

I don't care if Mother Theresa's niece was in the car with the shooters. Once you fire on a LEO, you just signed your death warrant, and everyone else's in the vehicle/house etc...

That's not true, but the potential is definitely something to consider before doing it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would rather be a fishing guide on a river any day over being a cop. Especially today. If I don’t like my fishing customer, the dock is my destination to rid myself of the idiot.
Cops deal with foolery eve hiryday 24/7. I’m amazed that all of my friends have continued in LE with everything they see and deal with. Oh, and don’t forget the inside politics of a big department. Sheesh! 😎

It's seldom the players complaining. It comes from the cheap seats.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Didn’t the FBI run the carousel of caliber testing from carrying a S&W 10mm, then moved to a 357 Sig, and now the 40 cal? I don’t know for sure...Seems they ran ballistic tests on almost every known material under the sky

FBI switched to 9mm about two years ago. They never used the 357sig, though Secret Service, and Air Marshals did (and to my knowledge still do). The latest round of FBI testing included various barriers, but also heavily favored lack-of-recoil and shootability in their selection - their thought, an a logical one it is, is that if you can't hit the target it doesn't matter what caliber you are shooting. - pick a caliber that allows for more hits. FBI testing with glass places the angled glass 18" from the ballistic gel (i.e. the intended target), not 18" form the muzzle and 25 yards from the target. Two very distinct ballistic challenges. The officer did what he felt he had to and it worked, and kudos to that.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by Starman
You behave like a pig , so I shall call you such accordingly.

Originally Posted by NH K9
So.........no actual experience. Gotcha.
Laffin’.

there you go, dopey pigs making half assed guesses but considering it 'evidence'.... its a habit of your LE breed i notice.

carry on fool... wink

question after question but you will not answer my question.. typical.

Bingo!!

You have successfully removed yourself from relevancy and can spoon w/ the likes of ' asses he eats' and ' the curdog' and their ilk in the low T world of cop haters.

mike r

Since you see fit for another cheap shot I’ll respond to you. Neither of us have made any negative or derogatory comments. You have no idea what I think or believe. I realize that an old washed up ass wipe like you only has the memories of being a bad ass which not only get bigger as the clock ticks on your last days but it’s also why you can play an old smarmy little [bleep] online. Outside of your angry and always childish and holier than thou remarks you have nothing to offer. All you do is act like an old bitter little man with your constant angry swipes and cheap shots but it’s all you’ve got . You spend far too much time allowing me rent space in your tiny bald head but the since it’s free I guess it’s my privilege. Thanks little guy. 👍

PS....You DO personify the image of a badge heavy pig, NHk9 not so much. There’s good cops and bad cops and it ain’t hard to spot the difference. 😉

You choose to repeatedly advocate for the killing of LE, that is the only time you catch my attention.

You know nothing of consequence and frequently expose that. If my posts offend you or lack value use the ignore button.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

It looked to me like the officer was square to the target (suspect vehicle)
...and his shots are pretty straight on at the suspect vehicle...
.. The officer even took some shots two handed... He had a really solid target the second time.. ...

He had a solid target in his sights yes, and could say was aiming centre mass....but if you know anything about
the angle/degree of upward projectile deflection when firing through angled windshields...(and taking into account the distance of the target)
id say all his rounds went right over the top by a healthy margin.

Its highly evident from the video showing angle of gun and distance to target, that the officer is not skilled or
trained to effectively shoot through squad car windshields.

And from what I understand they don't train their guys to do such.

Once again, you are just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks, and letting others waste time proving you’re wrong. It doesn’t work that way. The police just have to show that they acted reasonably under the time constraints in which they are operating. They are not expected to have an engineering degree and have trained through every theoretical scenario, because we all know (well, maybe not you), and courts recognize, that this would be impossible. Unlike you, the courts recognize that it is not a perfect world, and that dealing with criminals frequently requires contemporaneous improvisation without the benefit of lead time to come up with a perfect plan backed up by scientific research and analysis. Furthermore, your hypotheticals are imponderables if all we have is a video, because the appropriate analysis is based on what the officer in question should have known and what he actually knew, not what you or anyone else on this thread knows or should know. So, get some insight on that and share it before wasting time with hypotheticals.

Without getting in the weeds of discussing shooting through glass, off the top of my head, this situation appears (in my personal opinion only) to check all the boxes supporting the force used in a Graham v. Connor analysis, fits within the rationale of Tennessee v. Garner in support of the use of force on a fleeing felon, and also Plumhoff v. Rickard. Not on point, but demonstrating which way the wind is blowing, are Mullenix v. Luna (which, admittedly, only focused on the “clearly established” principle, not whether it was reasonable), S.F. v. Sheehan (elements of both prongs, coupled with poor briefing), White v Pauly (another “clearly established law” case), County of L.A. v. Mendez (this one should have wide ranging effect on “woulda, coulda, shoulda" analyses where no independent constitutional violation has occurred on the front end), and the latest Ninth Circuit smackdown, Kisela v Hughes (another “clearly established” case with the caveat that the court was not saying that the use of force was not justified). (Of course, there are a million picky points that are not worth discussing on the basis of a few minute video.) (Further, in the absence of a person harmed by the rounds (which could pop up), we really don't even have a controversy with respect to rounds that did not hit the bad guys.) Do you have some binding or trending precedent going the other way that fits this situation? Believe me, I want to see that stuff, and I will read it when time permits.

As I said in my earlier post, I can’t begin to project what a Nevada state court would say about this under applicable state law, or if there is some Ninth Circuit case on point. (I am in the Tenth.) I am just dealing with the Constitutional procedure as discussed by the U.S. Supreme Court. Your numerous posts about recklessness and scientific “perfect world” analyses appear to go in that direction and sound like deflection and scattergun plaintiff lawyer hyperbole. (I am not seeing anyone but spencer516 insinuating as an abstract principle that shooting back at someone who is shooting at you and trying to run you over cannot be justified on general self-defense principles.) Maybe in 5 years we will have some precedent on this one way or the other, and then we all will know. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 07/20/18. Reason: Add sentence to paragraph 2 and fix typo/clarify

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

FBI switched to 9mm about two years ago. They never used the 357sig, though Secret Service, and Air Marshals did (and to my knowledge still do). The latest round of FBI testing included various barriers, but also heavily favored lack-of-recoil and shootability in their selection - their thought, an a logical one it is, is that if you can't hit the target it doesn't matter what caliber you are shooting. - pick a caliber that allows for more hits. FBI testing with glass places the angled glass 18" from the ballistic gel (i.e. the intended target), not 18" form the muzzle and 25 yards from the target. Two very distinct ballistic challenges. The officer did what he felt he had to and it worked, and kudos to that.

Science and reality do merge sometimes after failure is found in the human form. Gotta put hits on targets. Good info that I didn’t know. Thanks...😎

“Molon Labe”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Well you have your say and as wrong as you may be you are entitled to do so. Michael Jordan, Ted Williams or Wayne Gretzky performed at the top of their respective sports, but they trained with controlled circumstances knowing if they goofed up they could do it over.

You really need to get shot at during a high speed chase and you may change your mind about his job description and the practice a cop gets to deal with those circumstances.

Are you being for real? You don’t know me, but I do not work behind a desk. Yesterday morning my coworkers and I actually did use the video for learning purposes. The first thing that was said by anyone was- “well... we’d be put on probation for gun-handling that bad”, and it went down hill from there.

Your belief of “performance” is completely incorrect. Your thoughts are shared by the large portion of the gun carrying “professionals”, yet when actually measured at their tasks the absolute best teams on earth are about as good at their “sport”, as a decent regional junior high basketball team is at theirs.

Originally Posted by shrapnel

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.c...d3f7f9e-7b33-562c-bcc2-cffce03182dd.html

The world is full of tough guys that know all about these circumstances. My son is a LEO and was one of the first on the scene to this fatal shooting of another officer. He didn’t get to look at a video to see what he could do better...

And that’s why people continue to die. Remove the emotion and evaluate honestly. A LOT of police and military personel (a very good case can be made for most) get killed and wounded, or shoot the wrong people because they are under trained, under skilled, and do not learn from the past. I guarantee you I have never done a single mission of any type without us and others absolutely destroying our performance- no matter how good the outcome. Then we immediately change, correct, and practice the solution to the failures under conditions vastly harder than they were initially noted, so that they never happen again. Doing otherwise is like repeatedly going into the ring of a UFC fight, getting your butt destroyed every time, but never learning from the fights.

Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Generally, I think that if the perps are shooting at you, shouldn't you shoot back? Plus, when you're chasing another vehicle at a high rate of speed, the tires and engine block probably aren't an option. Checking to see if there's a kid in the truck??? Maybe the cop should have politely asked them to pull over, I'm sure they would have complied.

See, this is my problem with both LE and the military. The general idea that the most important thing is to go home at night. “Surviving” isn’t the most important thing. If it was then why did you sign up to carry a gun in the first place? Winning is the most important thing, and it’s pretty hard to win if you kill the very thing you are supposed to be protecting.

He's old and set in his ways. You know how that goes....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He probably hasn't been doing it long enough to realize that you absolutely cannot fix stupid. Idealism is sometimes hard to overcome.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What you put forward hasn't been the case for years. Bonded core premium bullets deflect a little, but not near as much as you claim. 308 rounds and 223 rounds deflect almost "0" after passing through windshield glass. Handgun rounds deflect a small amount, but not enough to cause a miss on the target if the officer shoots center mass and the bullet actually would've hit where he was aiming, absent the glass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple of things:

No question that these were bad guys. Shooting at the cop pretty much establishes that.

The cop COULD have taken the safe route for himself but chose to fight back.

Quit bitching and give the cop a medal.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
What you put forward hasn't been the case for years. Bonded core premium bullets deflect a little, but not near as much as you claim. 308 rounds and 223 rounds deflect almost "0" after passing through windshield glass. Handgun rounds deflect a small amount, but not enough to cause a miss on the target if the officer shoots center mass and the bullet actually would've hit where he was aiming, absent the glass.

Is that when the windscreen glass is at the target end, or the muzzle end? The reason I ask is because I've seen reports of testing that would have it that if the glass is near the target, the bullet will pass through and strike the target, provided the glass isn't too sharply angled. However if the glass is near the muzzle and the target at some distance downrange then the bullet may be so damaged or deflected that it won't strike the target.

For example, in the aftermath of a hostage siege in 2014 our police here did some testing with .308, and firing at 6 mm glass set at an angle with both 165 Trophy Bonded and with 196 gn RUAG Swiss P (AP) at a distance of 49.5 m they found that a target close behind the glass would have been killed. However when a second glass panel (I think this one was 12 mm thick, but I don't have the actual report to hand) was placed a short distance in front of the muzzle the RUAG AP bullet broke up on penetrating the first panel and no fragment hit the second panel 49.5 m downrange.

None of the above should be taken as comment on the actions of the officer in the video.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.