24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be going EE Revelation XL/XW/0 degree, and an XTherm Large mat.

I have the XL/XW/10 degree, and the extra warmth is worth an extra ounce or two. The beauty with quilts is that you can always push them off or kick your feet out if it's too hot, so there's no such thing as a backpacking quit that's too warm. IME, at least.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A few years back, went from bags to quilts. Wanted a wider quilt, they were a little tough to find, so called Underground Quilts, and they built a couple custom quilts for me. Both at 64" wide, a 30° for myself, a 20° for my wife, with her,s being a little shorter. So far, haven't felt any desire to go back to bags.. These days, pretty easy to find 65" wide quilts. I would suggest going wide, and long. EE makes a down hood, and down booties, cure the cold feet, if neccessary.
Take a look at the Underground Quilts Bandit XL. If I remember correctly, sewn foot box, one less draft, whatever fill weight or color combo you might want.. Having run them for a couple years, would just go straight to the sewn up foot box. At the time I got them, figured I would pop them open, use them like a flat quilt every once in awhile. Haven't bother to do that yet, if it's a bit hot, just kick one leg out.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have the Bandit XL at the top of my list. They have wider widths than most of the others and are a bit cheaper for the same thing. As I said in my OP, I pack with llamas so a few extra oz isn't any object. Bulk is more important than weight and quilts can squeeze down nicely.
From what I've read, the trick to stopping drafts with the zipper foot is to stick a folded over sock in the hole as you pull the strings tight.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EE quilt, Big Agnes air pad, on top of Thermorest Z Lite. I like it quite a bit. The Z Lite weighs next to nothing. I tie two loops of shock cord around it, then unfold it in half as a seat for my tired ass. Handy.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm too old and stiff for a hard pad on the ground, warm or not. I need some air under me.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Shooter71
Have you tried just leaving your bag unzipped and see how it works for you?
I've been elk hunting this last week (no luck) and did just that. I used my old rectangular down bag and zipped it up to a bit under knee high. We were in a camp trailer but left the heat off most nights. It would get down to about 45. My bag started getting cold about there, which is why I started this thread. Using it as a quilt worked great. I like it very much compared to a zipped up bag. The bag is 60" wide but I think a 55" would still give me plenty of width. I'm a side sleeper but keep my legs pretty well stretched out. I had 1 side well tucked under me. A couple pad staps on 1 side would just be a bit more insurance.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have an EE Revolution 20 and love it. Have used it down to 25 or so. Bought down booties and a down balaclava from some Chinese company on amazon and they make for a toasty combination. If I was doing it over I'd probably get the Enigma instead of the Revolution. If money is no object, the Katabatic quilts are supposed to be the best.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I switched to a hammock with a quilt and an underquilt, the underquilt fastens under the hammock with bungies so you get no compression of the down. I sleep as well in that setup as any bed. A cheap way to try quilts is a military poncho liner (moderate weather only). Fwiw most hammocks can be set up a tent if terrain prevents hanging.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Between my breathing and my back, I can't sleep in a hammock. No back sleeping at all.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Several hundred nights in my EE 0 degree quilt. Love it. Neo air and the insulated version as well if I am gonna sleep on snow. No regrets. I certainly will be buying another one. At like 22oz I do not miss my 3.5lb 0 degree bag at all. I find my feet are actually warmer in the treated down quilt than in my synthetic bags.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Between my breathing and my back, I can't sleep in a hammock. No back sleeping at all.

This may be the same for me. I have 3 hammocks to try out. We lost last summer to smoke from forest fires so I never got a chance to use them. ENO double (standard "banana" / back sleeping), Warbonnet Ridgerunner (bridge, should allow side sleeping), and Amok Draumr ... apparently a true lay-flat that works for stomach sleepers. I doubt I'll get a chance to try any of them before next summer .. hoping for no fires for a change.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Throw a wool blanket over your bag while sleeping, tuck it under at your feet.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by T_O_M

This may be the same for me. I have 3 hammocks to try out. We lost last summer to smoke from forest fires so I never got a chance to use them. ENO double (standard "banana" / back sleeping), Warbonnet Ridgerunner (bridge, should allow side sleeping), and Amok Draumr ... apparently a true lay-flat that works for stomach sleepers. I doubt I'll get a chance to try any of them before next summer .. hoping for no fires for a change.

Tom

I use a jrb bridge hammock, only sleep on my side and have years of prior back issues. I never want to go back to a tent,
pads all seem designed for the back sleepers and were always inadequate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sleep hot, but I love my EE Revelation 20*. It is a wide/regular, we had nighttime lows in the teens a couple nights and high 30s one night during 2nd rifle for extreme ends. I was fine every night with nothing on my head, and the warmer night I didn't even wear socks.

I think the straps work great if you use them correctly. I ordered an extra loop strap to replace the straight one up top, so I have two straps that go around the sleeping pad that connect to the quilt. I just cinched those up underneath me every time I got in, never felt a draft. I used a Nemo Tensor sleeping pad.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Question about UGQ and EE: I can't find anything on their websites about how they're sewn. Are they sewn through or do they have some kind of baffles to prevent cold spots on the seams?

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Question about UGQ and EE: I can't find anything on their websites about how they're sewn. Are they sewn through or do they have some kind of baffles to prevent cold spots on the seams?

Pretty sure every quality quilt has baffles. EE definitely does.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I recently discovered another benefit of my EE quilt although not ground breaking...grin. .

Scouting and truck camping so I could be mobile (cot in pickup bed with camper shell) I encountered some very cold temps and was cold in my truck bag (10 degree bag). Used the EE quilt as a bag liner and was very toasty the next night.

PS - the hoodlum continues to be awesome....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.