Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
From reading all this, I can't tell if the gun is safe to shoot. If it were mine, I'd be inclined to fire a hot load in each barrel from a distance with a length of string tied to the trigger. If it looked fine after that, I'd go hunting and forget about all the negative comments.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ROMAC
This is another Sterlingworth with Cyanide case coloring, which is a chemical treatment. A lot of Savage 311's, and other utility SXS's of that era were done with Cyanide.

[Linked Image]

Cyanide treatment by Les at Diamond Gunsmithing, Ithaca, NY on a 1926 era Ithaca NID..

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
EdM, that sure is a nice shotgun - perfect gauge too. Enjoy.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jorge, you always have some nice guns to show - that Ithaca is no exception.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That looks like a proper Ithaca. Not the junk that EdM bought.

For those that like the torch jobs however, there is a guy on gunbroker that specializes in them. Ed Good. He's your man.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. I posted another thread on it Col., this particular shotgun was owned by my wife's Great Grandfather. The gun was basically very sound structurally (from a layman's perspective anyway), but the CCHs were about 90% gone, the lever was bent, one cocking indicator did not work, the buttplate was missing a piece and the checkering was pretty worn. It was a year and a half wait, but Les was very reasonable and now the gun can stay in the family. I plan to take it bird hunting this season. It's a 12ga 2.75'. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What are its chokes? Full and Fuller?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine say 2& 4

The choke designation is often stamped on the barrel flats.
'0' is cylinder bore.
'1' is improved cylinder.
'2' is modified.
'3' is improved modified.
'4' is full choke."

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Those would be my preferred setup.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by deflave
No real bird hunters hunt with doubles anyway. They’re all wall hangers in the eyes of men.

Meanwhile, Ginsburg going all Humpty Dumpty on us.

So what do "real" bird hunters hunt with?

Things that are fed by a tube.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

Yeah. If it included a dilddo on the cheekpiece.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Yeah. If it included a dilddo on the cheekpiece.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
I found this yesterday on consignment at a LGS for what I thought was a bargain. It's a 2 3/4" 16 gauge made in 1936.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Has anyone else made this offer yet?

EdM, in view of your value here at the 'Fire and to society at large, I am willing to take that potentially dangerous shotgun off of your hands at absolutely no cost to yourself. Hey, it's the least I can do.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
No real bird hunters hunt with doubles anyway. They’re all wall hangers in the eyes of men.

Meanwhile, Ginsburg going all Humpty Dumpty on us.

So what do "real" bird hunters hunt with?

Things that are fed by a tube.

Like a vegetable?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by Paddler
I bought a Holland and Holland boxlock

And you are a lying sackofshit

+1

Jealous? Actually, it wasn't that nice. The seller refused to sell just the Piotti, but insisted I buy both. I think I paid $5400 or so for it at the time. As I said, I suspect a large part of the work on it was done in Spain. Nothing wrong with that, unless you're H&H and representing it as English. William Larkin Moore will have a record of the transaction, but it was long ago. I paid more for the Westlake, which is now worth $10000-$12000. Not for sale.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You gals should go and find a forum where you can talk about your new Gucci handbag.

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by EdM
I found this yesterday on consignment at a LGS for what I thought was a bargain. It's a 2 3/4" 16 gauge made in 1936.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Has anyone else made this offer yet?

EdM, in view of your value here at the 'Fire and to society at large, I am willing to take that potentially dangerous shotgun off of your hands at absolutely no cost to yourself. Hey, it's the least I can do.

So you are offering to give him what he paid for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be very careful buying old guns. I bought a Holland and Holland boxlock in the same deal as the Westlake from a dealer in Maryland. Upon receipt, the Westlake was wonderful. The H&H, not so much. I later read that H&H had actually had some of those boxlocks built in Spain. I believe it. I moved that gun, along with the Beesley and a boxlock Zanotti to another dealer along with some cash to buy the Piotti King I. That dealer later called me to say that the barrels on the Beesley were too thin. I had no way to measure them, but offered to unwind the deal. The dealer declined. I saw that Beesley at a later gun show at another dealer's table. He had no clue he'd been beaten like a drum. Used guns can be very difficult to evaluate, and like I said, fraud is rampant. Even among dealers.

I think if you really want a double gun, the Beretta Silver Pigeon I is the way to go. The 686 series is excellent. Take your chances if you like on old, refinished American SxS's at your peril.

Anyone that is buying/selling the type of guns you claim, and don't have the ability/tools to measure something as basic as barrel thickness, is an idiot. You sound like a name dropping windbag.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That looks like a proper Ithaca. Not the junk that EdM bought.

For those that like the torch jobs however, there is a guy on gunbroker that specializes in them. Ed Good. He's your man.

I wasn't going to step into this thread, but you named a notorious seller who needs to be exposed more, IMO.

To all here, avoid Ed Good!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by akjeff
Be very careful buying old guns. I bought a Holland and Holland boxlock in the same deal as the Westlake from a dealer in Maryland. Upon receipt, the Westlake was wonderful. The H&H, not so much. I later read that H&H had actually had some of those boxlocks built in Spain. I believe it. I moved that gun, along with the Beesley and a boxlock Zanotti to another dealer along with some cash to buy the Piotti King I. That dealer later called me to say that the barrels on the Beesley were too thin. I had no way to measure them, but offered to unwind the deal. The dealer declined. I saw that Beesley at a later gun show at another dealer's table. He had no clue he'd been beaten like a drum. Used guns can be very difficult to evaluate, and like I said, fraud is rampant. Even among dealers.

I think if you really want a double gun, the Beretta Silver Pigeon I is the way to go. The 686 series is excellent. Take your chances if you like on old, refinished American SxS's at your peril.

Anyone that is buying/selling the type of guns you claim, and don't have the ability/tools to measure something as basic as barrel thickness, is an idiot. You sound like a name dropping windbag.

I bought and sold the guns I mentioned. It was a learning experience. The Beesley was an eye opener. So was that 10 gauge. I never got hurt financially, but I learned to avoid buying old guns from people I don't know. The last "old" gun I bought was a circa 1968 Beretta BL-4 in 20 gauge. Not perfect, but really nice. Weighs just under 6#. I've killed limits of ducks with it, and even geese with the WW Xpert load of 3/4 ounce of 6s. Pretty cool. By the way,we refer to this as the Perfect Limit:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Most of my more recent purchases have been new or nearly new Beretta 680 series. Very safe buys, for my money some of the best barrels in the world. The actions and lock mechanisms are excellent as well. I'll hold on to the Piottis, the Merkel, the Grulla. Wouldn't mind moving the CSMC.

Think of it this way. Old American boxlocks were relatively inexpensive and bought as shooters, so were heavily used. The odds of finding one in excellent condition are very low. If you find one that looks too good to be true, rest assured it is. The gun in this thread has had a pad added, probably in the 1960s, maybe before. It should be easy to tell if the stock has been refinished, it most assuredly was. Maybe even restocked. It has been torched. Not sure about when this gun was made, but I think Ithaca first mentioned 2 3/4" chambers in their 16 gauge guns in 1934. Nothing about the gun doesn't say run away to me. But then, I learned the hard way.

Last edited by Paddler; 11/15/18.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,214
Posts18,466,272
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.