Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Soup
Folks ,
I'm not a pistol guy but did have a Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible . Bought when I came home from Vietnam in 70 .
Unfortunately I sold it about 40 some years ago .
Now have a yearning for a Ruger " New Model " Single -Six Convertible . Don't know a damn thing about except the one I'm looking at has a 5 1/2 or 6" barrel & is in nice shape .
Would any of the owners of this model please pass on the " pros & cons " ?
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration .
Soup
They are great guns without any real cons that I know of. I've owned a couple over the years. Currently don't have one. The representative model in the safe is a Colt New Frontier "Scout" size with both cylinders. The Colt was seldom seen when I got it, compared to the Ruger. If anything, I'd say the Ruger was better and these were the two main competitors back then (mid-eighties). If you want something even smaller, Ruger still made the "Bearcat" the last I knew. I don't know if you can get it with both cylinders...most likely can. I wouldn't hesitate in getting a Super Single Six.

I remember going into the local hardware store and buying my first handgun. There was a blued Super Single Six there and it was about $40 higher than the H&R 949 that I bought. The Ruger was used though, IIRC. I'd say I wish I'd bought the Ruger, but the H&R was a cool little gun that served me well until it got traded off on my first centerfire handgun a couple of years later, an Interarms Virginian Dragoon in 45 Colt. The latter was a beautiful but huge single action in the Colt SAA style.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had one. Now have a Smith K-22, although I do wish I had bought a Ruger Bearcat when they came out originally.Never had any great use for anything in a 22 mag

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/17/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savuti
If you're not happy with the accuracy of your Single Six Dave Clements offers a relatively inexpensive fix "Basic Accuracy Tuneup package".

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/singlesix.html

Wow, the 38 0r 9mm conversion sound awesome.
But you have to start with a centerfire.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I had one. Now have a Smith K-22, although I do wish I had bought a Ruger Bearcat when they came out originally.Never had any great use for anything in a 22 mag

The only thing a 22 mag offers in a handgun is rifle LR ballistics.
And noise. x2.

If 22mag was needed.
I would probably light load the 327.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
After two Single Six threads in less than a month I got the urge to drag mine out this afternoon and burn up a few boxes of shells. Clearing the 6” plate rack from 20 yard two handed, then right handed, and then left handed became monotonous. So I shot a steel prairie dog silhouette at 35 yards until I got 6 straight with my right hand. Then I stretched it out a bit more and played with the gongs at the 75 yard line, my target has a 5”, 6”, and 8” gong. I could keep the 8” ringing and the 6” more often than not but the 5” seemed to give me fits and I was probably only %30 on it. Burned up a bunch of old Remington Golden bullet ammo that was garbage, sounded like popcorn with all the different reports, some like a 22 short and some cracked like a magnum.

Still was a great way to spend an hour or two on a nice afternoon and remind myself how much I like my Single Six.
[Linked Image]

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Interesting front sight. Not stock ... or at least I've never seen one like that. Tell me about it, please?

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It’s a barrel band I machined over my lunch breaks for a couple days and soldered on. Gun has a steel grip frame from an early Vaquero too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

715 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,097 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,922
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.