Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I would pull nothing over 28ft with aluminum frame.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Motel is cheaper.

Right here !!!! Everytime I have to pull that camper I am miserable. The things we do for our wives.

kwg

There aren't motels in 80% of the places I want be when on my time.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Motel is cheaper.

Right here !!!! Everytime I have to pull that camper I am miserable. The things we do for our wives.

kwg

Not if you figure in eating at restaurants twice a day for a family of 4 or 5. We have a 27 foot trailer, we don't really take extended trips as the kids get antsy when in the vehicle for extended amounts of time. They are 8,7, and 7, riding in a car to see a rock formation doesn't interest them, riding their bikes and catching sunfish from a dock is what they want to do.

We find spots within 3 or 4 hours of home and enjoy our time at a destination. We just go camping more often than spending 2 weeks on a long summer vacation. If we stayed in hotels, it would be sitting inside watching them swim at the pool, we can do that in the winter.

We bring the kids bikes with us on our weekend trips, it's amazing how easy it is for kids to make weekend friends in a campground. I also don't feel worried about letting the kids roam a bit on their own when in a campground, in a hotel no way would I let them wander around.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by cs2blue
IMO, take the max towing capacity of your truck and subtract one ton of weight. The remaining weight is your max tow weight meaning, loaded with all the junk you will put in the camper!. With this formula you have some room for performance without dogging your truck. Yes, it is limiting but safety on the road is important. Also, any hills or grades you encounter will be easier. Camper salesman will try to talk you largest camper you truck can handle. Once you roll off the lot with it you will realize you made a mistake and need a bigger truck. Just my 2 cents, as if anyone cares!

^^^^^^ This ^^^^ at least this is what was explained to me when I bought my trailer. Max towing cap - 1k pounds. Mine is a 28 footer at about 5300 pounds and my 2013 F150 3.7 ( plain jane- no eco boost) pulled it up some big ass hills just fine. My truck is rated for around 6500. If your Chevy doesn't have the cooling package then it is roughly similar. If you do- then add another 500 pounds to capacity.

I bought a towing package so it is not a bumper pull -AND I installed a trailer brake. Would not like to do it without either. This with passenger tires on my pickup. I have since gone to LT's and feel better if pulling it again.

A friend on my lease told me I was way over cautious on all this and that he routinely pulled stuff over his towing max with no troubles. He hauled stuff all the time working for a heavy equipment retailer. I tend to error on the side of caution.

I skimmed these posts so sorry if already mentioned but if you have not taken possession of the camper my advice is to make them test anything having to do with water. Faucets leak, pumps leak, the little valve on the toilet s are notorious for freezing and developing splits in seems- as are some p-traps. Then we can talk about mice and rats.... Al lot of it is avoidable. Don't know how familiar you might be with trailers but pm me if you like and I can tell you some things that may save money and headaches and make your camper life more pleasant. When everything is good they are wonderful.

While you have good points, the eco boost is another class. It’s got its max torque down low in the rpm range (2000-2500ish). That’s like a diesel.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bubbajay
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Motel is cheaper.

kwg

Not if you figure in eating at restaurants twice a day for a family of 4 or 5. We have a 27 foot trailer, we don't really take extended trips as the kids get antsy when in the vehicle for extended amounts of time. They are 8,7, and 7, riding in a car to see a rock formation doesn't interest them, riding their bikes and catching sunfish from a dock is what they want to do.

We find spots within 3 or 4 hours of home and enjoy our time at a destination. We just go camping more often than spending 2 weeks on a long summer vacation. If we stayed in hotels, it would be sitting inside watching them swim at the pool, we can do that in the winter.

We bring the kids bikes with us on our weekend trips, it's amazing how easy it is for kids to make weekend friends in a campground. I also don't feel worried about letting the kids roam a bit on their own when in a campground, in a hotel no way would I let them wander around.

My camping would be fairly remote. But with the grandkids I agree with everything you just stated.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

While you have good points, the eco boost is another class. It’s got its max torque down low in the rpm range (2000-2500ish). That’s like a diesel.
laugh Yeah, but hook a camper to it and your mileage will closely match that of a '70s Town Car.. And that ain't no diesel..

(and in case anyone's wondering, my son has an F-150 Eco and he loves the mileage - until he hooks up a trailer...) smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Forget towing capacity. The limiting factor will be payload capacity which almost always maxes out long before you get a trailer too heavy for the drive train, at least with 1/2 tons. Find the GVWR which is usually on the drivers door or door jamb. There may, or may not be a payload rating, but it isn't accurate. They take the actual weight of the truck after it comes off the assembly line and subtract that number from GVWR to determine payload. But any aftermarket items you've added or gear you keep in the truck is cutting into the posted payload. It is best to actually weigh the truck as it is now and subtract that number from the posted GVWR to find your true payload.

The tow rating is probably going to be between about 7000-9000 lbs. But payload will probably fall between 1600-1800 lbs. It varies, 4X4 trucks, extended cab and crew cab trucks are heavier with lower payloads. Higher trim levels are heavier with lower payloads. It can vary between 1100 lbs to 2100 lbs on 1/2 tons depending on how they are equipped and cab styles. A regular cab base model 4X2 long bed might well have more payload than a lot of 3/4 ton trucks. Or a loaded up 4X4 crew cab could have less payload than my Tacoma.

Figure 13% for tongue weight and a 5000 lb trailer will have 650 lbs on the tongue. Add another 100 lbs for a WDH and you've used up 750 lbs of payload. With MY 1/2 ton F150 that would leave me with 1000 lbs payload for passengers and gear in the truck which is reasonable. You're truck may be different. Using payload as a guide around 6000-6500 is all I'd tow with my truck even though it is rated for almost 8000 lbs. It aint hard, but you need to crunch some numbers for your truck

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Very good post... Kudos..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Redneck

laugh Yeah, but hook a camper to it and your mileage will closely match that of a '70s Town Car.. And that ain't no diesel..

(and in case anyone's wondering, my son has an F-150 Eco and he loves the mileage - until he hooks up a trailer...) smile smile

Seems you got offended because I compared the peak torque in a turbo charged gas motor to a diesel which is a fact.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want a real eye-opener, take your truck across the scales with just you in it, no cargo or anything. Then hook up your trailer all ready for camping or whatever, throw in the coolers, the family, the dog, all the stuff, then go across the scales again. Subract for the difference. I can almost guarantee you will be shocked and amazed.

Last edited by jnyork; 03/19/19.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just for hunting deer and elk for one week I have right at 1200lbs in the truck. This is gear for two people, base camp, and hiking equipment/camp.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Redneck

Seems you got offended because I compared the peak torque in a turbo charged gas motor to a diesel which is a fact.

Not offended in the least.. Don't know where you got that idea.. Just pointing out that torque is one thing - MPG is quite another... If one is going to haul a camper (or similar trailer) around a bunch, the ECO is actually not the way to go IMHO..

YMMV.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you're serious about pulling, get a diesel.

Camping 101.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Camping 101.

How about hauling? Like a truck-bed camper such as a Bigfoot, etc.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Camping 101.
Exactly...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Camping 101.

Same.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Camping 101.

Gas/diesel - either will work.. But it's the load that's important.. I looked at those camper specs and IMHO it would behoove the owner to go up to an F-250.

Here's a link to the F-150 towing chart.. Scroll down to the 'slide-in camper' section....

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...df/guides/18RV&TT_Ford_F150_Oct9.pdf

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I took a pickup camper to SW Montana in 2001 for an elk bowhunt. I hauled it with a 1/2 ton Silverado with a 350 .

Huge mistake!!! 😂😂😂

Talk about learning the hard way...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I took a pickup camper to SW Montana in 2001 for an elk bowhunt. I hauled it with a 1/2 ton Silverado with a 350 .

Huge mistake!!! 😂😂😂

Talk about learning the hard way...
LMAO...

Ever see those leeetle minitrucks with campers mounted on the back?? OMG! Best to stay FAR, FAR away from one of those on the highway.. A 10 mph gust of wind and they're damn near on their sides... eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.