Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by andymick32
Originally Posted by warpig602
The market is soft. You also have to factor in that the tides are starting to shift from people who can appreciate the value or perhaps sentiment of something like a New have M70 Classic or JM stamped Marlin to newer shooters or a younger generation where they dont really care. In the age of Glocks and AR15's the appeal and nostalgia of Winchester levers and Colt 1911's are shrinking. Couple that with the guys who do appreciate the classics are starting to sell off their collections as they get older and you get a surplus of what were once hard to get(driving the value up) to a surplus of guns that people are slowly losing interest in(driving prices down). Today manufacturing has made getting a quality firearm more affordable for a cheaper price. Case in point, all my Model 70's say New Haven on them but my kids likely won't care.

Agree Warpig. I’m 34 and most of my friends don’t really care about the older and better quality guns, nor do they have the money to buy them. They are expensive and not a priority. That being said, if you ever have a New Haven classic stainless you want to sell, please let me know!

Now Now!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also think that, in a market where you can buy a Fieldcraft that has 99% of the custom features that you used to spend $3,500 - $4,500 to get on a custom rifle, the value proposition has changed.

I've owned three GAP rifles, two or three from RBrothers, a 470 NE, and a few other top shelf items.

Fact is, for the type of big game hunting I do and the ranges I'm wiling to pull the trigger at, a T3 in 308 and a Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor cover all of the bases nicely.

Smaller game has ARs in 223, and 22lr 10/22s and 17 HMR bolt action rifles to cover that.

If you're paying for beauty, that's one thing, and one costly thing.

If you're just paying for function, accurate and inexpensive rifles are everywhere.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I also think that, in a market where you can buy a Fieldcraft that has 99% of the custom features that you used to spend $3,500 - $4,500 to get on a custom rifle, the value proposition has changed.

I've owned three GAP rifles, two or three from RBrothers, a 470 NE, and a few other top shelf items.

Fact is, for the type of big game hunting I do and the ranges I'm wiling to pull the trigger at, a T3 in 308 and a Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor cover all of the bases nicely.

Smaller game has ARs in 223, and 22lr 10/22s and 17 HMR bolt action rifles to cover that.

If you're just paying for function, accurate and inexpensive rifles are everywhere.

The Fieldcraft is tough to beat. It's not "cheap" but I agree that quality rifles like it have made previously "custom only" lightweight rifles tougher to justify for the cost.

Another rifle that's done the same is the Seekins Havak. Again, it's not some bottom $ cheap stuff, but it's really hard to beat what you get in one of them when you compare it to what a custom with the same specs would run.

The Ruger Precision Rifle is dirt cheap for the accuracy you get.

It's the golden age for off-the-shelf quality rifles that could previously only be obtained through a custom. I do think it's hurt the custom market and prices on custom rifles.

D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by David_Walter

David, this is one of the most sensible answers yet. You know I believe that 100%. I own a Fieldcraft that shoots as well as customs I’ve owned in the past. Also, I find myself creeping ever so close to selling quite a few rifles and keeping a smaller battery of rifles. Like maybe 10 or less. I have so many that I never shoot. My favs are a FC in 6.5cm, Model 7 KS in 7-08, AO built 7-08, and probably a 300wsm 75 Finnlight. I’ve got a couple others I know I could love, just don’t have enough killing history with them...

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Price those “quality” items reasonably and they will sell.

Yup.
IC B2

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 16 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.