Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Growing up in the 60's my rubber waders always rotted and leaked and no time I had to toss them, but how long will the new poly/nylon waders last if properly cared for?

10 to 15 years ago I had the opportunity to get some fishing in at the end of a Colorado Mule Deer hunt. Outfitter I hunted with had a fly shop and gave me a deal on Orvis polyester nylon felt bottom waders. I used them for a week then dried, boxed and stored. So today was the first time in over a decade they were out of the box, I pulled them off the shelf and they look and feel like new! I am nearing retirement and plan to get back to fly fishing.

Has anyone had experience with Orvis poly/nylon waders?

Ted
GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Simms are the best, but the Orvis are pretty good too.

Most professional fly fishing guides that wear them every day use Simms.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If kept in a cool, dark and dry place they will last 10 to 12 years, most likely more. I just replaced a pair of Simms Guide waders that I had had for 16 years and although they had a few repairs (dabs or Aqua Seal) I used those waders 30 days a year approximately for the fires 10 years and 50 days a year for the last 5 years of their life.

If you bust brush with them expect to have to do minor repairs on them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Alaska guides almost exclusively use Simms and the serious ones have at least two waders they use alternately so any leaks can be repaired with another wader ready to go. Generally they replace them every year. Some get surprising life out of a single wader and others, not so much.

I had a wader several years ago that finally died after six or seven years of heavy use. The first leaks were the only leaks. They were entry level Simms nylon waders (Streamborn)! I have also had several top end Simms fail completely in a year. All but the entry level ones are Gore-Tex and differ mainly in number of layers and options. The better ones run close to a grand...

After a number of Orvis waders I find them a pretty sad joke. Most are made like 400 pound old guys need to get them on and most leak from the first time they are used. They are nylon, not Gore-Tex and not nearly as good, IMO.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had no experience, to answer the OP, with Orvis waders; but, based on what I've read, the are top tier, depending on model. Having said that I have used two brands, exclusively (if two can be exclusive) over the past couple of decades. I've used Dan Bailey and Simms and consider them equals. Because of fit and features, for the money, I prefer the Dan Bailey.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 07/16/19.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I've had no experience, to answer the OP, with Orvis waders; but, based on what I've read, the are top tier, depending on model. Having said that I have used two brands, exclusively (if two can be exclusive) over the past couple of decades. I've used Dan Bailey and Simms and consider them equals. Because of fit and features, for the money, I prefer the Dan Bailey.

I have used Orvis and have worn them heavily for long periods of time. They border on major suckage in about every category. They would be on my "never again" list.
Dan Bailey's are not in the top tier, or even close and I do not agree they are close to Simms quality at equal price points. and they require a lot of patching to use.They are not Gore-Tex and the seams are a constant problem. Simms makes (almost) the only Gore-Tex wader.

That said, I am currently not fond of Simms as a company and their warranty policy changes. Their dry bag packs suck and they would not cover one less than six months old with a LOT of leaks. Funny thing is I only bought it because of their WS on a wader with a lot of miles on it.

If considering a Patagonia wader look at the welded seams and squeeze one hard. It is easy to break them...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Dan Bailey's are not in the top tier, or even close and I do not agree they are close to Simms quality at equal price points. and they require a lot of patching to use.They are not Gore-Tex and the seams are a constant problem. Simms makes (almost) the only Gore-Tex wader.

They are. Better said, in my opinion, they are. Even more specifically and probably better said, they were, as my current pair (Gore Tex) is ten years old. Maybe their newer waders are not top tier and maybe they don't do Gore Tex any more. There, I have qualified my opinion based on my experience. My ten year old pair, zipper front and Gore Tex are better than any pair of Simms I've ever owned. And yes, I like my Simms.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dan

They are. Better said, in my opinion, they are. Even more specifically and probably better said, they were, as my current pair (Gore Tex) is ten years old. Maybe their newer waders are not top tier and maybe they don't do Gore Tex any more. There, I have qualified my opinion based on my experience. My ten year old pair, zipper front and Gore Tex are better than any pair of Simms I've ever owned. And yes, I like my Simms.

Dan Bailey does not make a Gore-Tex wader and I do not believe they ever did. Cloudveil, Simms, and most recently Sitka Gear have or had Gore-Tex waders.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best ever for me was custom neoprene from Simms (10 seasons). Things are a crap shoot in the fabric world. Some of the cheapest from Bass Pro or Cabelas have been great going 4 or 5 seasons while some of the more expensive Guide quality labels (Caddis) had a dozen plus leaks with their first use. In that instance I had packed them around as backups for a couple years, so was past warranty.

A buddy springs for some high end Scotts, but has to send them in for even the smallest of repairs. Not an option as I don't want to lay out for two weeks mid-season.

My suggestion is watch a few videos on doing quality repairs and always pack a spare outfit and repair goop for any trip of substance.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/19/19.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Depends how much walking , brush busting many times a year you wear them. Wear mine duck hunting too.

I have Simms, Patagonia, llbean, Baileys Orvis

Honestly all about the same. About 3 years max for me. I purchase the mid level ones around $200 to $250 off season on sale.

Patagonia and llbean have best warranties. I think Simms gone done hill a bit in quality and the warranty service too.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dan Bailey does not make a Gore-Tex wader and I do not believe they ever did.

I stand corrected and you sir, are correct. They are breathable and DWR. My Simms are Gore Tex and my Dan Bailey are not.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 07/20/19.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
D

I stand corrected and you sir, are correct. They are breathable and DWR. My Simms are Gore Tex and my Dan Bailey are not.

No worries, no ill will taken or intended.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
D

No worries, no ill will taken or intended.
Originally Posted by ribka
Depends how much walking , brush busting many times a year you wear them. Wear mine duck hunting too.

I have Simms, Patagonia, llbean, Baileys Orvis

Honestly all about the same. About 3 years max for me. I purchase the mid level ones around $200 to $250 off season on sale.

Patagonia and llbean have best warranties. I think Simms gone done hill a bit in quality and the warranty service too.

I agree on the Simms decline. They lured away some Patagonia flakes to help them align with their mentality and i see it working.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The only thing I can add is that wading shoes, at least the ones I've bought from Cabela's, will fall apart in the box if left alone for a few years...… When I "wade" these days, it's to help beach a nice fish. Or, since it's summer time, I wear an old pair of running shoes, and a pair of cut offs. E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
428 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,917
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.