Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Damn it’s not that there are so few to buy from, it’s because everybody has learned NOT to go to Cabelas or Scheels to sell as they hose you. 40 cents on the dollar typical 50 if you are damn lucky. I see 2-3 auctions advertised each week in a (free, mailed) paper out of Albion that have guns consigned. In fact I posted a link to an auction of I think 86 old Winchester’s, Colts and Sharps plus other memorabilia that I specifically advised them against going to those 2.
Quit blaming it on population and place the blame where it belongs.

Any retail story is going to pay you only 50%-70% of the sale value, they have to make money too. The gun library guys in La Vista are very upfront about that, last time I sold one they said what they could sell it for, and gave me 60% of that. It was all above board and transparent and take it or leave it. Try taking a gun to a pawn shop sometime. Local LGS isn't any better.

But the used gun selection at Cabela's in La Vista, at Kansas City, in Utah, Ohio, Connecticut, Maine, Owatonna, Rapid City and Illinois were all better than at Kearney and Sidney. Why? More people.

Sure I could sell it in person, often do. But sometimes those Cabela's boys can sell guns for 50% more than I can.. so I come out ahead. If I'm after money, I go to gunbroker.

Could you PM me the info on that Albion paper with the auctions? Got a lot of relatives up there, would drive up for a good auction in a minute.

Last edited by Calhoun; 07/20/19.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just another store selling import garbage...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just another store selling import garbage...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Damn it’s not that there are so few to buy from, it’s because everybody has learned NOT to go to Cabelas or Scheels to sell as they hose you. 40 cents on the dollar typical 50 if you are damn lucky. I see 2-3 auctions advertised each week in a (free, mailed) paper out of Albion that have guns consigned. In fact I posted a link to an auction of I think 86 old Winchester’s, Colts and Sharps plus other memorabilia that I specifically advised them against going to those 2. Quit blaming it on population and place the blame where it belongs.

If you're selling/trading to ANY retailer, they're "buying/trading" your rifle at wholesale so that they can sell it retail. Scheels bases what they're going to pay you off of a percentage of "Blue Book" value.

Let's say you buy a brand new SS Tikka T3 in 300Win for $600. After having your fillings knocked loose you decide that a .308 is a better choice. You have a used gun, they have to sell it as a used gun. They have to price that used gun at enough of a discount to a new one to entice someone to buy used instead of new. Let's say that your used Tikka is now worth ~$450. They can't give you $450, otherwise they're turning $$ without any profit. They're going to give you ~75% of what they feel the retail value of the used gun is. In the case of a Tikka that brand new was $600, You're now going to get $325-$350 on trade. They, like everyone else, do not work for free.

IME, the people who feel like retailers are "screwing them" on trade-ins or outright purchasing their firearms are folks who either:

A. Have dabbled in the gun-show market as either private sellers or maybe even had an FFL. The probably did so when saving $50 by buying used was enough, but, it's not anymore. Really what this person doesn't like is that they used to be on the other side of the table, buying @ wholesale and selling at retail.

B. People who buy things they can't afford in the 1st place and get pissed off when they find out that (pick your retailer) isn't a free gun-rental service for you to use for (pick your season) and then return.

One of the "B" examples that sticks in my head was a guy in his mid-late 20's who bought a Rem SP-10 Semi-Auto 10ga in late Sept and wanted to "return" it in early Dec for a full refund. His stated reason: "The flyway has moved way to the West and the Snow-Geese just don't come through here anymore". The shotgun has an obvious avid users season's worth of wear. He wanted/needed cash, when I told him what I'd pay him, he said, "No, I want to return it for full price". When I said no, he even had his mom come in and try to strike a better deal. Nothing doing.

Option B, happens DAILY in large volume retailers, take your pick on the sport. Ex.:

"Look at these great fish pictures, by the way, I'm going to have to return these waders and fly fishing gear, it's just not for me."

I'm done bird hunting, I want to return this shotgun but I'll use the $$ and buy a new rifle, deer season is coming. (Deer season ends), Yeah, I want to return this rifle it's not as accurate as I was hoping or it recoils too much, or this brake is too loud, or it's going to take me too long to draw another tag, etc, etc, etc............

Baseball season ends: My kid outgrew this glove, I want to return it for full price.

School starts in the fall: I want to return these golf clubs, I only used them twice and I don't really enjoy golfing (clubs look like they were used twice/wk.)

It goes on and on and never ends. Returned hunting boots in Jan. Return hockey gear in Apr. etc, etc, etc.

Somehow an awful lot of people have gotten the idea that retailers aren't there to sell them stuff. Retailers are their own personal little (or big) no-charge rental facility.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Horse1 you summed it up perfectly.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Scheels of the early 90's was a great store, at least the ones I visited back then in North Dakota and Minnesota. They were about 75% true hunting, fishing, and sporting goods items and about 25% sportswear. Now they are just about the opposite from what I see now in SLC, Utah... 15-25% true sporting goods and 75+% yuppie sportswear plus the stupid ferris wheel.

Give me the Lund boats back and the knowledgable sporting good sales staff and I will give them my business!

Sportsman's Warehouse is much better IMHO and Cabelas is now dead in the water, soon to be a "cheap junk" Scheels w/ a similar clientele, at least regarding their non-fishing products. The Cabelas Gun Library is slowly dying from what I have observed. Why Sportsman's does not deal in used firearms is beyond me... it is the "portal" by which many will go out and by new guns and it also brings in the "collector"/good deal crowd. STUPID!!!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,912
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.