Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Pymi, thanks for the video, I got my rifle and cleaned it good. Did some shooting and cleaned it again. Much appreciated

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I highly recommend using either of two "one-step" cleaning products. CorrosionX or Eezox. As said, clean the bore before using, and make sure it is dry before firing.

Both products clean, lubricate, and dry to touch. Very good in humid conditions, such as Alaska or Florida, and for protecting from finger prints and hand moisture.. Once dry, they will not attract and "hold" dirt, wipe off like oils, freeze, or gum.

Those two are the only things I have used in the last 30 years or so, with no regrets, if I had them on hand. Well, sometimes Hoppes 9. Because I like the smell...... smile

I have used 100 gr bullets almost exclusively in my ..243, which I have had since 1974 or so. Can't say I have ever warmed to the caliber, but it has taken sheep, black bear, caribou, and moose. Hornady Whitetail ammo is generally both accurate and about the cheapest, and works well. Ditto Remington Corelokt. I have largely gotten away from using premium bullets simply because the plane janes have done as well for me, and are much less expensive.

Using premiums because they are the most accurate in your rifle, or because your caliber may be a little "light" for the game are good reasons for going to premiums. Or just because you want to, and they give you a warm, fuzzy feeling, cost be damned. smile

For "average" hunting purposes, a 2-7, 2.5-8, or a straight 6 power scope is hard to beat at most hunting distances, except very long range (whatever that is). Any will be plenty good to 400 yards.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Damn, you pretty much help me a lot with all that information but I got one more question I bought the hopps # 9 should I replace it with CorrosionX or Eezox?

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Elliot
Damn, you pretty much help me a lot with all that information but I got one more question I bought the hopps # 9 should I replace it with CorrosionX or Eezox?

I wouldn't. Hoppes is good to get the fouling out. Get Barnes or something of the like to get the copper fouling out.

Plus, you can use the Hoppe's for cologne since the ladies like it so much.

Camp is where you make it.
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by tzone
Plus, you can use the Hoppe's for cologne since the ladies like it so much.

Lol

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone

I wouldn't. Hoppes is good to get the fouling out. Get Barnes or something of the like to get the copper fouling out.

Agree 100%

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So do I, but Eezox and Corrosion X will also. Doesn't hurt to alternate. And for the most part, leave the metal brushes alone, or use sparingly.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
What's wrong with the metal brushes ? You got me there.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Elliot
What's wrong with the metal brushes ? You got me there.

A phosphor-bronze brush used with a powder solvent like Hoppes No 9 works well to break up powder fouling. I've used them for decades.

Don't use it with copper solvent though, because the solvent will attack the brush. Don't try to change directions with the brush while it is in the bore either.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

605 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,724
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.