Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jackmountain
My original question was based on groups I shot this weekend with the 7-08AI in the picture. It's been a little more finicky... definitely prefers free recoil. Groups of 10 @ 1" best to maybe 1 1/2" at worst. Hunting rifle, so plenty good, but wondered if I was settling too easy and should be demanding more from it. Really thinking about full length bedding it just to see.

Like I think you’ve already said, Melvin would full length bed it. I’d be curious to see how this panned out as well.

When free recoiling are you resting under the belly near the balance point? One would think the harmonics of the barrel and fore-end would be least constrained in such a position. The recoil event would also be free of the effect of the wrist and butt stock flexing and twisting as when braced against a shooter.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kingston
My original question was based on groups I shot this weekend with the 7-08AI in the picture. It's been a little more finicky... definitely prefers free recoil. Groups of 10 @ 1" best to maybe 1 1/2" at worst. Hunting rifle, so plenty good, but wondered if I was settling too easy and should be demanding more from it. Really thinking about full length bedding it just to see.

Like I think you’ve already said, Melvin would full length bed it. I’d be curious to see how this panned out as well.

When free recoiling are you resting under the belly near the balance point? One would think the harmonics of the barrel and fore-end would be least constrained in such a position. The recoil event would also be free of the effect of the wrist and butt stock flexing and twisting as when braced against a shooter.

Shooting "1" 10 shot groups with a Kimber montana", I'd leave it alone and be happy with it. If we were talking Tikka, I'd think something was wrong with it and look in to the bedding better..... Sometimes you have to leave well enough alone.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston

Read several times now that it works on Melvin's rifles only due to the rigidity of his stocks? Does the forend on a Montana have more flex than one of Melvin's?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don’t know if Melvin’s stocks are stiffer than everybody else’s. Even if they aren’t, they may have been 30 years ago. The statement certainly sounds like something I’ve heard Melvin say. I’ve got a Nula and a Kimber 84 stock, among others. If it’s important I can pull them and see if there’s a straight forward way to quantify their structural qualities, but I think you’ve got examples of both as well.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I do, but no real idea how to test rigidity/flex in forends. Assume I could clamp the butt and hang weight off the forend and measure deflection. Probably just full length bed and shoot it. If accuracy is negatively affected I can remove bedding and free float. Probably better off loading 50 rds of the 120gr B.T. load that shoots MOA and go hunting....

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably better off loading 50 rds of the 120gr B.T. load that shoots MOA and go hunting....

^^^This, unless the goal is science.

I’m not too keen on spending my time pursuing these questions, but would happily read along if you do.

;-)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.