Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SuburbanHunter
Thanks for all the great information! Will probably go pick up .308 today.

Is there really a problem finding a smith to work on metric rifles? I don't plan to do anything to it but shoot the heck out of it in the short term but down the road who knows.

so for Scope bases and rings.. I have some bases and rings that from a long action Remington 700. I have read they work on the long action Howa but don't know about the short actions.
Is a one piece rail a better way to go?

Thanks again.

Most competent gunsmiths should know how to do metric threads. Howa bases are compatible with Remington 700 bases but I have only used 2 piece on both actions. I am not sure that one piece will work.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SuburbanHunter

Is there really a problem finding a smith to work on metric rifles?

Thanks again.

There is zero chance that I would send anything to a “smith” who says he can’t work work on metric threads.

It’s BS nonsense from people who are just regurgitating crap they heard or read.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cutting metric threads isn't a big deal for any competent 'smith, but getting the barrel off a Howa 1500 action can be a challenge.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One piece 700 bases are not compatible.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Two piece Rem 700 Talley Lightweight mounts aren’t compatible or I was in a hurry and need to try again.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You were in a hurry or need to try again.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Shadow
Recently I been playing with a Howa Mini HB in 6.5 Grendel. Working up reloads for it, and I find it amazing the velocities that you can get out of 31 grains or less of powder with such a little case. It's fun round!!

Sounds good. Standard contour on layaway still here.

Here's a 1500 6.5 Creedmoor I messed around with. Someone here bought it. Wondering how they liked it?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I did shoots great
Very nice gun for the $$$
Now wears a Burris C4

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 10/23/19.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by boatboy
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Shadow
Recently I been playing with a Howa Mini HB in 6.5 Grendel. Working up reloads for it, and I find it amazing the velocities that you can get out of 31 grains or less of powder with such a little case. It's fun round!!

Sounds good. Standard contour on layaway still here.

Here's a 1500 6.5 Creedmoor I messed around with. Someone here bought it. Wondering how they liked it?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I did shoots great
Very nice gun for the $$$
Now wears a Burris C4

Hank

Thanks Hank. Man, that seems so long ago now! Good to hear. That's one of many rifles that had to go, to justify mo!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Is the Vanguard stock that you don't like the current Vanguard2 Griptonite stock or the older style of stock?

I don't care for the older Vanguard stocks, but think that, for me, the V2 Griptonite stock is one of the very best injection molded stocks that manufacturers are currently making.

It's just the distinctive Weatherby style of the stock that I don't like. If it had a straight comb, the V2 stock would be perfect. The quality is very good, I agree with you on that.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Howa or Weatherby Vanguard? I appear to repeat myself.
This is the first one I have seen that was stamped both Howa and Weatherby.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by RMiller2; 10/26/19.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I the category of Push-feed Bolt actions, I rate them as the best.
Not just the best for the money.
The BEST.

If I were to criticize them the 2 things I think they should change is to get rid of the painted "HOWA" on the floor plate, and to use a far larger diameter screw in their bolt stop. The repair I have done on Howas the most is to replace the small broken screws that come in to this shop with larger screws so they never shear off again. Quick easy and cheap.

I also think Howa should consider making a left hand version. The LH market would welcome it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
szihn, I agree wholeheartedly with your post on all points.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've had quite a few Howas and with the exception of a 6.5X55, they all shot good. I like the action, the 3 stage safety, and the trigger. But, I do not like the current Hogue stock, as they make the rifles heavy and clunky feeling. I recently put a scope on a new, although no longer made, Howa Lightning model in 243. The rifle weighed almost 8 pounds, and this was with a 20 inch barrel, minus scope. To me, that's a little too heavy.

I'd like to have another Howa, as I've traded all mine away, but I just can't find any love for them. The only Howa I think I'd own these days is one of the Alpine rifles that they made, and have now discontinued. The only exception to that is a Howa that is currently being shown in their catalogs as having an HS Precision stock.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think Howa would benefit from investing in a quality injection molded stock that is made specifically for them, similar to what Weatherby has done with the Vanguard. The HS Precision models are awfully expensive for what you get (a Howa barreled action and a composite stock). The Hogue is fine for hunting, but Howa could do much better even as far as injection molded synthetic stocks go.

I don’t mind the weight of the Howa/Vanguard. I think an Alpine Mountain Rifle would be cool to have for fun, but like the HS Precision it was expensive and not even stainless steel. Overall I think I shoot better with a little more weight anyway. I never minded carrying my Vanguard with a padded sling.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Howa and Rem 700 bases utilize same dimensions. Obviously a rail would be based on LA vs SA. While the actions are a bit heavy they can take a pounding. One piece steel bolt and handle, excellent oversized recoil lug for great accuracy in a bedded stock, receiver and recoil lug forged from a solid billet of steel. About as durable an action there is. Many custom rifle builders have used Howa actions on their lower price point rifle builds, Charlie Sisk is one that comes to mind.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used a Redfield 1 piece Rem 700 base on my Mossberg badged 1500...Fit perfect...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just in case anyone is looking for a Rem 700 or Howa 1500 2 piece Base, that will take both Weaver and Picatinny Rings, and are also canted for LR shooting:

https://www.tacticalworks.com/Tacti...iece-Tactical-Scope-Mount-24-M.O.A..html

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Speaking of the alpine stocks to lighten the load, I haven't seen any on ebay for awhile. Any other sources out there?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,149
Posts18,465,009
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.