Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
If you guys buy something and wear it out....do you turn it in for warranty?

I've heard of people returning auto batteries to Wal-Mart @4 years, 11 months on a 5 year warranty battery.

That’s what nixed Costco’s battery warranty.
How? How can you turn in something for warranty that still works? And if it doesn't, how do a bunch of batteries show up on the last month of their warranty dead? How is that the customer's fault? Did all these guys somehow kill their batteries with one month to go so they could take advantage of that sweet deal? Hell, every time I take a battery in to Walmart it takes about a half hour for them to run a thousand tests on it to determine what I knew when I walked in...the battery is no good.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I've heard of people returning auto batteries to Wal-Mart @4 years, 11 months on a 5 year warranty battery.

Most batteries' warranties would only allow like $10 on that return, so you'd pay $90 on a $100 battery. If it had a full five-year warranty, there would have to be something wrong with it. Same with the first one. The warranty is a bet that the item will last longer than the warranty. If it doesn't, the manufacturer or seller lost the bet. Big deal. They have plenty of items they don't lose the bet on and plenty that they do, but the buyer never shows back up for whatever reason.

IMO returning used stuff like the aforementioned outfitter did, is dishonorable. In this case, there is no way to be dishonorable unless you somehow sabotage the battery yourself so you can return it in the eleventh hour.

I understand pro-rating a product but that's not how it was presented here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Most batteries' warranties would only allow like $10 on that return, so you'd pay $90 on a $100 battery. If it had a full five-year warranty, there would have to be something wrong with it. Same with the first one. The warranty is a bet that the item will last longer than the warranty. If it doesn't, the manufacturer or seller lost the bet. Big deal. They have plenty of items they don't lose the bet on and plenty that they do, but the buyer never shows back up for whatever reason.

IMO returning used stuff like the aforementioned outfitter did, is dishonorable. In this case, there is no way to be dishonorable unless you somehow sabotage the battery yourself so you can return it in the eleventh hour.

I understand pro-rating a product but that's not how it was presented here.
I'm not trying to be argumentative with you Ironbender. No offense intended. The OP was about scopes and somebody said something about batteries and I offered my own experience with them. I don't know about Costco. Walmart is very likely the biggest retailer of batteries in the country (though I won't look it up) and that's how they do it. Most auto parts stores do it the same way. As I said, sometimes the battery is pro-rated and sometimes it's not. If it's pro-rated there's little advantage in turning in a battery with only one month left. If it's a different type of warranty, the battery would have to be bad, in which case there's nothing dishonorable about getting a full new battery for one that only has a day left on a five year warranty because that's how it is. If somebody shorts the battery out intentionally in order to get a new one with little left on the warranty...well, that's on them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Costco used to be 3 years 100% replacement. They simply swapped it out if a customer came in and claimed it was dead.

Now they have a typical pro-rated warranty. Policy change was a result of folks bringing in batteries that were 2+ years old and just swapping them.

They certainly could of managed their warranty program better, but folks always find a way to take advantage. It’s just kinda douchey.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
but folks always find a way to take advantage. It’s just kinda douchey.

That's because in general people are douche bags..........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Douchbaggery is epidemic.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve bought a rifle or two, but not in years

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seems to me that if they sell a current item with lifetime warranty on it, they should have to honor it. Now if it was one sold before the merger, that may be different. At the least, they should have to repackage them or cover up the lifetime warranty statement on the package. If you want a current lifetime warranty from a retailer, I believe Scheels still does it with their brand. That is if you have one close to you.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Last time I went to the Delaware Cabela's was about two years ago. Saw that they had done away with the Bargain Cave, and I haven't been back. I called them earlier this year to find out when the "NRA Weekend" event was going to be held - renew your membership and receive a $25 gift card. The customer service rep acted if she had never heard of such a thing. Cabela's, you have been added with Dick's to my 'never again' list.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

The short answer is one shouldn't. The longer answer is a whole lot of folks do. When Cabelas stores had Bargain Caves it was appalling how "used" some of the stuff was.

There's an enormous number of people that buy stuff (guns, optics, clothes, backpacks, etc, etc, etc) right before season and return said gear after they've filled their tag or season is over. It's disgraceful and disgusting, but it happens A LOT. It's not just hunting stuff. Fishing stuff, camping, kids sports equipment, etc, etc, etc.

There's an astounding number of people who believe to their core that they shouldn't ever have to really pay for anything, just lease it for free and return as necessary as seasons end and new seasons begin.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by horse1

The short answer is one shouldn't. The longer answer is a whole lot of folks do. When Cabelas stores had Bargain Caves it was appalling how "used" some of the stuff was.

There's an enormous number of people that buy stuff (guns, optics, clothes, backpacks, etc, etc, etc) right before season and return said gear after they've filled their tag or season is over. It's disgraceful and disgusting, but it happens A LOT. It's not just hunting stuff. Fishing stuff, camping, kids sports equipment, etc, etc, etc.

There's an astounding number of people who believe to their core that they shouldn't ever have to really pay for anything, just lease it for free and return as necessary as seasons end and new seasons begin.
That's not what was asked. You're talking about people just using stuff and then returning it, ostensibly with nothing wrong with it other than wear. Under such a warranty, it shouldn't be returned or honored unless there is something wrong with the item.

OTOH, if something is truly warrantied forever and it wears out due to honest wear after say, twenty years, it's still bound to be warrantied and replaced. The implication is that the item will outlast the buyer and it didn't. End of story. There's nothing dishonorable about returning it if it doesn't work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They just sent me an email survey asking what I think. I told them. Don't think that was what they wanted to hear.

Last edited by centershot; 10/29/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (12344mag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,915
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.