Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"To which the fired guy replied, in essence, " Credibility? WTF- I'm a Weatherman!""

Reminds of a time many years ago when someone asked my what I did for a living. Told them I was a paid liar. You know? A weatherman. Boss chewed my ass out for over a half hour when that got back to him. All I said in response was, "People think we never get it right all I do is beat them to the draw. Not a hell of a lot they could say after that.
One time right at the end of our monsoon season the lead forecaster came out with no chance of thunderstorms. We'd been running a flyer at the end of out forecasts stating "Remember, thunderstorms can produce dangerous lightning, heavy rain and flash flooding." Well ten minutes later he calls and tells me to take it out of the forecast. I refused. He asked me on what basis did I feel there might be a storm. I told him is was just a gut feeling. He said remove it and I said back, "You want to change the forecast, do so and put your name on it." He let it stand and when my relief came in at noon he change the forecast like a good like boot licker. At two PM that afternoon there was a thunderstorm on the back side of the Catalina Mountains and there was a flash flood killing two hikers. I dunno. To this day by all rights there should not have been any chance of a storm but my gut said otherwise. I'll just add that the Vigaro hit the Mixmaster on that deal and we had people from the regional office down and somebody's head was gonna roll. All I can add is there was one very red faced Meteorologist when the smoke cleared.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's the rub, Paul. Forecast dangerous weather and people think you're loony when it doesn't happen. But forecast mild and then somebody gets hurt or worse, and then they howl that you didn't warn them. It's probably better to cry wolf than shrug and let people get killed.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Our local guy, San Antonio, does a helluva a job.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
That's the rub, Paul. Forecast dangerous weather and people think you're loony when it doesn't happen. But forecast mild and then somebody gets hurt or worse, and then they howl that you didn't warn them. It's probably better to cry wolf than shrug and let people get killed.

I once wrote one of our local weathermen, who has since moved on to something else, about the fact that there are weather watches and warnings issued pretty much from the end of March to the start of November. He said that a number of years ago, during the Clinton administration if I remember correctly, a tornado came out of nowhere in Alabama. The National Weather Circus was told that that would never happen again, hence the constant running in circles yelling that the sky is falling.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
My app on the iPhone is pretty accurate a day or two in advance. I can get a good forecast in a few seconds.

What ticks me off is the TV guys who take 5 or 10 minutes with their fancy electronic charts, telling me what the temperature was in every podunk town within 100 miles, etc. Waste of tmy time.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I love the 10 day forecast that changes daily , laf .

Whelenman

Which western state do you live in ?
What you mention is Idaho-like rain - you can see a raindrop hit then disappear within a few seconds . A monsoon there settles the dust for 20 minutes .

Michigan!

oh ..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I love the 10 day forecast that changes daily , laf .

Whelenman

Which western state do you live in ?
What you mention is Idaho-like rain - you can see a raindrop hit then disappear within a few seconds . A monsoon there settles the dust for 20 minutes .

Michigan!

oh ..

You asked

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
People are surprised when the weather forecast is wrong and can't believe how meteorologists got it wrong. I'm of the opposite mindset I am actually blown away, in light of the nature of weather, how often they get it correct. Frankly, color me impressed.

This. Wx forecasting is very accurate these days IMO and I used have to pretty much live by the weather. Ya they're going to get it wrong 10% or whatever of the time. Duh! Its weather, it makes itself, eliminates it self and turns on a dime, high pressures fight low pressures there won't be a clear winner right off the bat etc etc. I think they do really well. Computer modeling has been a big boost.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

I once wrote one of our local weathermen, who has since moved on to something else, about the fact that there are weather watches and warnings issued pretty much from the end of March to the start of November. He said that a number of years ago, during the Clinton administration if I remember correctly, a tornado came out of nowhere in Alabama. The National Weather Circus was told that that would never happen again, hence the constant running in circles yelling that the sky is falling.

Well, I know that when a watch is issued it just means that conditions are such that a storm, or potentially serious conditions could occur. Technically warnings are issued when the forecaster is pretty well convinced the bad is about to to happen.

One example. I was living in Nevada at the time and there was 6" of snow on the ground, completely overcast skies and them was a balmy 32 degrees when I went to work on the midnight shift. A t 1 AM when I went to take the weather observation the temp was 18 degrees and outside the sky was totally clear. Nor a cloud in sight and a full moon. I finished the observation and issued a hard freeze warning. The final low temp was 36 degrees below zero. We never got above 10 below zero for the next five days. What happened was the clouds moved out. With no clouds and their green house effect the temperature just radiated on out into space.

I can easily come out with a good half dozen more instances like the above but maybe you'll get the picture.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Anything over 24 hours is a flat-out guess...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In this area I find that weather underground does a decent job of “predicting” the weather. I use th ten day forecast as a general idea realizing that they may be able to predict a major front heading my way but may be off by a day or two.

I’ve found ScoutLook to do a good job of predicting wind direction for my tree stands- not perfect mind you, but pretty good.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by victoro

[quote=ol_mike]I love the 10 day forecast that changes daily , laf .

I'm impressed that they get it right as often as they do.

Not that I could do any better,they're pretty damn good IMO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Redneck

Hardly.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Redneck

Hardly.
OK, 25 hours... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You know the difference between a weatherman and a politician?

You know they're both going to lie to you - but weather forecasting is an honorable profession! smile smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
593 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.