Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great article. I enjoyed every bit of it. Fine craftsmanship on wood stocks is something I will always appreciate. Hopefully there will always be fine stock makes out there to carry on the tradition.

When I was a forestry student in Oklahoma one of my best friends was absolutely taken with bois d'arc wood (aka hedge wood, aka osage orange, aka Maclura Pomifera). I helped him make bows out of it. He had a SMLE sporter he even carved a bois d,arc stock for. After dozens of coats of Tung oil he had the shiniest, yellowest, heaviest stock I had ever seen.

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Good article.

Not all the walnut cut in the old days went for gun stacks and furniture. I'm told that Lincoln's house in Springfield, Illinois, is framed up partly in walnut. I've also heard that some considered walnut fence rails to be the best.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
For several reasons.

Back when I was making stocks as a sideline to writing, another stockmaker friend and I made a winter road trip to visit yet another stockmaker who lived in a remote part of north-central Montana--which is pretty remote in itself. But this guy also dealt in stock wood, so we stopped to see him, in between hunting winter varmints. Among his other stuff was a full-sized blank of very dark ebony--which weighed 80 pounds! I suspect he kept it merely as a curiosity, because he'd had it for far longer than required for "curing"....

Well yes, there are other things to consider. Imagine a .300 Roy feeling like a .22 LR when you pulled the trigger! I'll bet by the time you got that ebony pared down to shape it wouldn't weigh much more than 35-40#. Are we mice or men?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As I read the article I thought if the Pachmayr collection of wood that was lost in the fire.

Great gunsmiths.......

Building the size of a football field ........filled with blanks.

They had been buying since the 20s

Took the heart out of the old man.

Gone ......irreplaceable.........

Last edited by 257_X_50; 05/07/20.
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks for the great article. I always enjoy your wordsmithing..

I just finished rereading one of your several books that I have. Deer Rifles & Cartridges.

I find I always appreciate a good book several times. Is it just my age ?

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sixfive
Great article. I enjoyed every bit of it. Fine craftsmanship on wood stocks is something I will always appreciate. Hopefully there will always be fine stock makes out there to carry on the tradition.

When I was a forestry student in Oklahoma one of my best friends was absolutely taken with bois d'arc wood (aka hedge wood, aka osage orange, aka Maclura Pomifera). I helped him make bows out of it. He had a SMLE sporter he even carved a bois d,arc stock for. After dozens of coats of Tung oil he had the shiniest, yellowest, heaviest stock I had ever seen.

Better fence post wood than for guns stocks.

It is hard and heavy. Makes a good club.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by sixfive

Better fence post wood than for guns stocks.

It is hard and heavy. Makes a good club.

DF

Excellent firewood too.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Excellent article as are all of his. Wayne has an eloquent writing style and the experience to back it up. He wouldn't remember me, but we both worked for the same organization for a brief period back in about 1991. I thought he was a knowledgeable gentleman then and his writings since have only reinforced that opinion. His articles are always a pleasure to read.....looking forward to next one!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I met him at an annual NRA meeting in Pittsburgh a few years ago. I asked him for his autograph and he seemed a little surprised but was gracious enough to give me his autograph which I still have. My take on him is that he is a professional but a bit modest. He is, along with Mule Deer, one of my favorite gun writers.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Great article, Wayne. I love the look and feel of walnut, to the point where I have only two out of thirty-some synthetic stocked rifles. Have managed to avoid other syns.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.