Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Any body have an actual experience with the 25, which looks like it was intended to be for the markets previously reached by the 23 and some of the 340-322 series rifles?

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Mike, I'm guessing you're not referring to the old Model 25 .22 pump rifle?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
no, wish I were! I mean the more recent bolt action rifle made in .22 Hornet, .223, .204 Ruger, 17 Hornet, etc. Includes models named "Lightweight Varminter" and "Walking Varminter." Nice names.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mike, I was looking at one in 22 Hornet a while back, but I found a 23D Hornet and went old school. Sorry, no first hand info.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Joe, I think you lucked out..The 25 seems to have great accuracy potential, but the 23 is more like what I think a rifle should feel like. I'd hate to try walking one of their "Walking Varminters" around the boonies for a full day. Maybe they provide it with wheels?

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They strike me as utility guns, which by no odds is a negative thing. My hunch is that the 23s (A, AA, B, C and D) were all pretty much aimed at the utility gun market. A gun you could probably buy at the well stocked hardware store. Anyone know what the cost comparison was between a 23B or 23C and a Winchester 92? My hunch is that they were cheaper and made to sell at a relatively lower price point. It's my hunch too that the bolt 22s were cheaper than their pump and lever counterparts. But's that's just a guess and I really don't know.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I think it was those "hardware store" guns that kept Savage afloat through the Depression. 23's, 29's, 40's, etc. kept the lights on at Savage while the 99 kept up the reputation.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think that could be saying that most of our country went to the hardware store to buy their rifles and shotguns before they went to the "top shelf" offerings of the big name makers like Savage, Winchester and Remington. Marlin, which I happen to appreciate, may have embraced this reality perhaps more than anyone in their offerings by the 1930s. Maybe Mossberg fits in there too but I haven't really paid too much attention to that make Although I will say Mossberg managed to do something huge that Winchester wasn't able to do - stay in business.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So to get back to Mesa's question, I agree. The 25 probably fits right in with the fine and honorable utility heritage of the 23 and 340 series of guns. And it's likely making Savage money too so what's that tell you about the health of the "hardware store" or utility gun market today?

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just so folks know what's being discussed... the modern Model 25 Walking Varminter, weighing in a 6.9 pounds. Available in 222, 223, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet, 17 Hornet.

I'd have to paint that stock. Plain black is too ugly.

[Linked Image from savagearms.com]

Last edited by Calhoun; 06/03/20.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I own two of them in 17 Hornet. They are not pretty but like all modern Savage rifles they shoot great.
Steve

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I got it that we were talking about the new 25. And on another note, doesn't Marlin also make something like this? I know they do in rimfire, and Hornets are often little more than beefed up rimfire actions.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a truck gun to me.

Nothing wrong with that. Anybody that owns a truck needs a truck gun.....or 7. grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The plastic magazines dont impress me

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Seems
Originally Posted by 99guy
Looks like a truck gun to me.

Nothing wrong with that. Anybody that owns a truck needs a truck gun.....or 7. grin

Seems to me the automobile makers should be offering them as options.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
What a great idea!

Cadillacs and Lincolns: Weatherby option

Ford, Dodge, and Chevy cars: Remington option

Any Japanese/Korean rice burner: Miroku option

Domestic pickup: Mossberg option

Porsche/Audi/Mercedes: Merkel option

Jaguar/Rover: Holland and Holland option

Domestic SUV: Savage option

Volvo/Saab: Husqvarna option

Old clapped out British sports car: Westley-Richards option

Peugot/Renault: They don't get one

Fiat: Bwahaha, are you serious?

Ferrari: Beretta option

Harley-Davidson: Colt option

Japanese crotch rocket: Nunchuks option

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm diggin' the Savage option on account of my Escape but isn't that a bit harsh on Ford, Chevy and Dodge PUs? If I ever really needed a PU I always thought I'd look for a cream puff basic short bed bench seat circa 1994-2001 Dodge Ram. Could I get the Savage option in that?

"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Frankly, I wish they'd just stayed with the single shot originally (very briefly) called the Model 40 (NO, not THAT Model 40!). I don't see the need for a repeater varmint rifle, especially one with plastic parts. And they could make a single shot on that action that you actually COULD walk around with.

Just handled a Model 25 "Lightweight Varminter" and my hands just itched for a rasp and mill file. My feet and back ached in anticipation of lugging the thing around. Seems they got the machine part of the gun pretty right, but the ergonomic parts wrong. Maybe it was designed for a robot varmint hunter?

Gonna look for one of those Model 40s in .22 Hornet. Can't be too many of them around, tho. Not a popular rifle--not enough firepower, I guess.

Last edited by Mesa; 06/04/20.

FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Mike, given "modern" powders and bullets, today's Hornet ain't your father's Hornet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mesa
Gonna look for one of those Model 40s in .22 Hornet. Can't be too many of them around, tho. Not a popular rifle--not enough firepower, I guess.

Give it 50-years and it will become the gun all collectors will be beating a path too! Funny how that works.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.