Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ST50
. . . . unless you enjoy repairing your mower deck.

Sincere question for anyone-
How the hades does one tear up a mower deck?
I used this one out back here that was bought new
in 1994 from wally world ( not a top drawer by any
stretch) to mow this one acre here, and it's never
needed quills or spindles, and the deck isn't cracked
or dented or welded.
Now, I have seen a bunch that were barely suited
for scrap, and they got that way from the user
running over sh*t, not paying attention to what they
were doing, etc. etc.
What gets me is when they price it
as a nearly new whatever it is

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
depends on what you are mowing. my property is tough on my deck. bumps, roots, rocks, stumps, etc.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd clean it up so I wouldn't have to run over that mess

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by willycc
What are you doing to make a finish mower pop up in the air?If your hills are so steep and ground rough that a tractor isn't working a zero turn might not be the answer.

The very nature of how it's mounted in the rear causes that.

NO place is completely level.

As you go over the terrain, if the front of the tractor dips down, the rear, where the mower is hooked up will raise up.

If its doing it a lot there's something not right I mow some pretty steep hills even mow some stuff I probably shouldn't with a finish mower and I don't really have any problem with it skipping places.On the mower the lower hookup and the top are hinged.When the mowers down all that pulls it are the lower arms it would have be a heck of a hill crest before the back would come up.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by rlott
Originally Posted by KFWA

I remember a pallet of no name push mowers at a grocery store many years back for $99 a pop. The SKS of mowers.

Off topic but funny - I bought a Craftsman pusher around 18 years ago for 199.00. Got it home, assumed it had oil, started it up and made about 2.5 passes and it stalled. No oil. Oops. Put oil in it, turned it a few times via the blade, pulled the rope and it started. Still using it and it starts on the first pull and no, ive never changed the oil.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by kenacp
Originally Posted by rlott
[quote=KF

Off topic but funny - I bought a Craftsman pusher around 18 years ago for 199.00. Got it home, assumed it had oil, started it up and made about 2.5 passes and it stalled. No oil. Oops. Put oil in it, turned it a few times via the blade, pulled the rope and it started. Still using it and it starts on the first pull and no, ive never changed the oil.

[/quote]

Got a self propelled Honda mower back in 97. Just changed the oil last year for the first time. Starts on the second pull every time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I already have 35 horsepower tractor, I have 5 acres to mow about half is lawn the other half more weeds with a gradual slope. I tried the finish mower I wasn't extremely crazy about it especially going up hills with it, always seemed to pop up in the air and leave high spots of grass,
This part just popped up in my feeble mind late last night... You must have your mower connected to the top link... Don't. A finishing mower has wheels front and rear and is meant to travel off the top link..

I installed a hydraulic top link about two years ago and have it on the JD Quick Hitch.. When I hook up the Woods and lock the bushings into the 3-pt arms, I move the top of the Quick Hitch fully in towards the tractor and that keeps the top of it away from the mower's tower area where a top link normally goes.. That way the mower floats over all the grounds and none of it affects the tractor's front end weight...

FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting and timely topic. Would like to hear more from Bristoe regarding the gearboxes on the various zero-turns.

Right now I have my eye on a SCAG. They're build 15 miles from me and I know a couple of guys that work there. Hoping I might be able to buy one through them at an "employee discount". smile

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It ain’t ‘Murcia if you’ve went a whole week and not seen a 300 pound 11 year old kid on a Lowe’s Hustler with his little mantitts and side gills jiggling. The most calories he’ll burn all week.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Interesting and timely topic. Would like to hear more from Bristoe regarding the gearboxes on the various zero-turns.

Right now I have my eye on a SCAG. They're build 15 miles from me and I know a couple of guys that work there. Hoping I might be able to buy one through them at an "employee discount". smile

A company called Hydro Gear makes the transmissions for about 90% of all the zero turn mowers. Their page lists the different models. Click "Products" at the top of the page. They're have them broken down into residential and commercial models. The residential transmissions they list are the ZT-1800, ZT-2200, and the ZT-2800. But many mowers that people are using for residences have the more heavy duty transmission that Hydro Gear lists as commercial.

https://www.hydro-gear.com/

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A mescan.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
A mescan.

+1

I got too much hunting and fishing to do to mess with cutting grass.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by ST50
. . . . unless you enjoy repairing your mower deck.

Sincere question for anyone-
How the hades does one tear up a mower deck?
I used this one out back here that was bought new
in 1994 from wally world ( not a top drawer by any
stretch) to mow this one acre here, and it's never
needed quills or spindles, and the deck isn't cracked
or dented or welded.
Now, I have seen a bunch that were barely suited
for scrap, and they got that way from the user
running over sh*t, not paying attention to what they
were doing, etc. etc.
What gets me is when they price it
as a nearly new whatever it is

It's unbelievable what folks try to do with mower decks. I've been in the business for well over 25 years and I still see new ways to destroy stuff.. The majority of the time, it's using them for ground engagement equipment. Leveling dirt and landscaping projects, instead of cutting grass and smaller weeds..

Last edited by ST50; 06/05/20.
RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Classic....made my day! Enjoy the 4th!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 6 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.