Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Don,

I had the exact same problem with my Swaro 4-12. I mounted it on my 300wsm, and it was doing great. I had to send the rifle back to the 'smith to increase the length of pull, and when I got it back and remounted the scope, it would not focus on 12x. I sent it back in and they sent it back about 3 weeks later. I don't know when mine go messed up, but I was shooting off of my lead-sled before I sent the rifle back in. I wonder if the 'sled is the culprit here.
Glenn

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have to ask... are you kidding?

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am another vote that the lead sled could have contributed.

I doubt the factory tests are done with lead sleds are anything that stops the recoil so abruptly.

And I also believe any brand of scope can puke.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Barsness, in his excellent book, says exactly that. All scopes will fail from recoil if shot enough. If they don't make it past the first 40-60 rds., they are defective from the factory. All brands occasionally have this problem. So, the first thing you want to do after mounting that new scope, or one freshly rebuilt, is to shoot it for 40-60 rds.
After that it's a matter of which style, fixed magnification scopes last far longer than variables, and size/weight vs. recoil. On really light rifles of the '06 class or sporters of the .300/.338 magnum class, you can expect the really big, heavy 50mm scopes to crap out at between 300-500 or, if you're lucky several hundred rds. But fail they will, sooner, maybe much sooner than the smaller, lighter variables; depending on a number of factors. E

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Another set of lies and misinformation from E.

You can not generalize like this. It dependson how well the scope is made. How many USO scopes have you seen failing, for example?

ILya

Originally Posted by Eremicus
After that it's a matter of which style, fixed magnification scopes last far longer than variables, and size/weight vs. recoil. On really light rifles of the '06 class or sporters of the .300/.338 magnum class, you can expect the really big, heavy 50mm scopes to crap out at between 300-500 or, if you're lucky several hundred rds. But fail they will, sooner, maybe much sooner than the smaller, lighter variables; depending on a number of factors. E

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=koshkin]Another set of lies and misinformation from E.

Are you really surprised?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mull
Got a 4-12-50 that got fuzzy on 10-12. Sent it back to Swarvoski. They fixed it. Told me it would take about 8 weeks, Had it back in 5. Seem's their much more organized than Leupold.Who told me 10 Days, Got it back in 36 days.

The only time I sent a scope back to Loopy it took exactly 7 days including shipping both ways...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Really Koshkin ? And just what have you seen that contrdicts all this ? You are a great one for taking your scopes to a lab to determine some nit picking difference in optical clarity, but I've never seen you post anything about using scopes on extra light or extra hard kicking rifles. You don't even bother to post any eye relief test results. How about some test results of a practical nature ? You know, something useful for us to know as hunters. Or is it that you have so little experience hunting that the practical aspects of scope testing has escaped you ?
I cited the source of my information. I've seen big 50mm scopes go sour on hard kicking magnums. I've seen even the smaller variables go sour on hard kicking magnums. This first hand experience has matched Mr. Barsaness experiences perfectly. That's why I believe him. He is always posting stuff of a practical nature. Things like how to focus a scope. How to use the eye piece to remove some parallax. What do you need to see that buck at the last of the legal light, etc. All I see you post is nit picking, like one 6X resolves 20% better than another, w/o bothering to tell us what that means in a practical sense. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Me too. Seven days. E

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You are right about quality scopes. I guess the Svarovoski PH I have on my ported Rigby is ready for the junk heap despite no one that I know that has one has had a failure. Oh well, its in a book & no custom gun maker recommends them(really)so that's better than pratical experience. Mine has been abused to hell & back. I see quite a few in Africa on DGR. Poor misguided hunters.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Really Koshkin ? And just what have you seen that contrdicts all this ? You are a great one for taking your scopes to a lab to determine some nit picking difference in optical clarity, but I've never seen you post anything about using scopes on extra light or extra hard kicking rifles. You don't even bother to post any eye relief test results. How about some test results of a practical nature ? You know, something useful for us to know as hunters. Or is it that you have so little experience hunting that the practical aspects of scope testing has escaped you ?
I cited the source of my information. I've seen big 50mm scopes go sour on hard kicking magnums. I've seen even the smaller variables go sour on hard kicking magnums. This first hand experience has matched Mr. Barsaness experiences perfectly. That's why I believe him. He is always posting stuff of a practical nature. Things like how to focus a scope. How to use the eye piece to remove some parallax. What do you need to see that buck at the last of the legal light, etc. All I see you post is nit picking, like one 6X resolves 20% better than another, w/o bothering to tell us what that means in a practical sense. E

You've got alot of guts to ask someone to post their personal experience, when in fact you have been asked many, many times to do the same and you ignore it. You've either got alot of guts, or just real stupid. Koshkin has proven you wrong (along with too many others to mention) numerous times.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I bought a 3-9 Swaro AV and shot it on a 7 mag off and on for two months before a November hunt.It SEEMED OK and initially passed the usual tests for holding zero through power changes. But when I got to Alberta I noticed it had shifted zero; I resighted and thought it was fine. Later discovered it would (get this)shoot fine if left at 6X over sandbags; but from hand supported positions it would hit much higher. (no, it was not me ,as later tests with a 4X Leup confirmed) It also shifted POI significantly when cranked to 9X.All problems with the rifle went away when I put a 4X leup on it.
The tec at Swaro put it on a machine and declared it fine; I asked did he put it on a rifle and shoot it! Bottom line was that something in the adjustments, and no doubt the erector lens assembly, was subtly shifting, and it stopped holding zero. They gave me a new one, which I promptly sold.I've learned in reading and conversations with industry people that the AV is not so hot mechanically. I will not own another.

IMO, in a scope intended for big game hunting, mechanical reliability trumps the subtle nuances of optical purity
every single time.High end variables that are untrustworthy suck; that's why I do not trust the advertising hype of these scope manufacturers.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have a matched pair,,actually two pairs, of P-64 Mod. 70 rifles, each is within a few digits of the other's serial number, (by accident) and they wear Rimrock synthetic stocks, are .338 Win. Mags. and shoot 250NPs in WW brass withh CCI 250s and 76-RE-22. These have substantial recoil and, according to E, should have destroyed their pair of Leupy Vari-X III 3.5x10x50 scopes long ago, but, rifles AND scopes are like new.

I would think that BC hunting tests gear as harshly as anywhere and I have not had a problem with any of my variables, Zeiss, Leupold or B&L, except the 4000 Elite that I bent, so, my practical hunting experience does not support E's contention. My olny Leupold that ever went awry was my ancient M8-3x and they fixed it, no problem.

I will only comment on what I have witnessed or done as basing one's opinions on reading a book, or, an internet article is, IMO, a sure way to make serious errors. Each to his own, but, I disagree with much of what E posts on scopes AND I DO know how to focus them!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My comments were directed to the Swaro AV; I have owned (own) a ton of Leup variables, mostly 2-7 and 2.5-8, 1.5-5,1.75-6, etc. Never anything bigger. If I have to trust a variable on a hunt, it's a Leup, not because they are optically superior to others but because they are optically good enough for anything I do with a rifle, and they are pretty trustworthy.

I have owned ONE swaro AV; it broke in about 200 rounds. I have owned gawd knows how many Leup variables, and I remeber i think three that I broke. Any scope will wear down with time and recoil, and I shoot a lot of rounds, so my approach is to replace a variable after it's had a few hundred rounds through it, if it lasts that long. The effects of use are cumulative and if a scope mostly sits around,firing only a few shots between seasons, it'll last forever.

In any event,my experience has been that, AS A RULE a fixed will last through more actual use (shots) than a variable.This is really not tough to ubderstand because the things are more complex and fragile. Even the tec at Swaro said if you want a tough scope, get a fixed power.We'll never get consensus here because people's experience varies so much, ie where they hunt, what conditions,how many rounds you shoot each year.I always thought the worst places to evaluate a scope for ruggedness are Texas and Alabama deer blinds because (let's face it)the conditions are not that adverse, but bright optics matter; neither is much whitetail hunting anywhere in North America.

Toughest places I've seen are in Alaska either inland or the coast, the Rockies on horseback, or on foot, northern New England in November can be tough as well. Weight and portability matter as well; you could not run fast enough to give me a 4-14 scope on a mule deer or elk rifle where I've hunted; who wants to lug it, and since I've killed both critters (more than once)with 4X scopes past 400 yards, who cares about zooming scopes?

Believe me, I LIKE variables, just seems they don't REALLY solve many big-game shooting issues IME.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sounds like you have been there & have the experience. Nothing like actual experience. How refreshing & not quoting from others & a book.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the problems in evaluating optics is that many people tend to group ALL products by a certain company together. Very often there are big differences in certain products by the same company.

I have had three Swarovski AV's fail on me during hunting trips over the years, all zeroing problems. The PH's, however, are mechanically different and apparently much tougher. I say apparently because I've never had one fail, and have rarely heard of them failing.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...many people tend to group ALL products by a certain company together. ...
JB

So right, and often funny: Some years ago an elderly reader sent me a long letter, stating that he can not and will not recommended Zeiss scopes any more because two of it fogged on him during hunting trips to Alaska and Africa.

Very politely I asked "what modell?" and he replied "I have no idea, I got it from my Papa."

His Papa passed away in 1946, I figured out.........

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Eremicus, since you only listen to John, please re-read his post below.

Properly built scopes hold up just fine. You can not generalize based on brand, size, etc.

ILya

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the problems in evaluating optics is that many people tend to group ALL products by a certain company together. Very often there are big differences in certain products by the same company.

I have had three Swarovski AV's fail on me during hunting trips over the years, all zeroing problems. The PH's, however, are mechanically different and apparently much tougher. I say apparently because I've never had one fail, and have rarely heard of them failing.

JB

Last edited by koshkin; 06/29/07.
docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Come to think of it, I've had a Leupy fail also on a Weatherby .270, which was why I started down the Swaro road to start with. Also, I had the devil of a time with moisture leaking into my Swaro binocs also, now I have Leica. Everything under the sun can fail, that's why one should always have plan B. Another way of saying that is Mr. Murphy is always just around the corner (I think that might have military origins?)....In medicine we say,"there's a snake under every rock". I didn't mean to spark a range war, just kinda curious what folks in the know felt about the sled, as I've been using it since the C5-6 herniation.
Don

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,695
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.