Hop To
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
My dear father in law cleaned out his basement and low
<br>and behold he came up with some old gun magazines.
<br>
<br>I thought this might be the right place to post this "neat
<br>stuff". Fun for thought at least in my minds eye.
<br>
<br>This Particular Mag is volume #2 October 1959.
<br>It's editor is Tom Siatos and managing editor is William
<br>Martin with Robert Hutton its technical editor.
<br>Among some of the staff are;
<br>
<br>Colonel Townesend Whelen, "dean of American riflemen," (Rifles and Shooting)
<br>
<br>P.O. Ackley "Father" of a substantial number of our modern improved and wildcat cartrides. (experimental developments)
<br>
<br>Homer McCoy ( Shotguns)
<br>
<br>Don Martin-the "old pro" few people are as qualified to
<br>write about the practical aspects of (handgunning)
<br> ( Don, just how old are you anyway?)
<br>
<br>Jeff Cooper takes on (military ordance)
<br>
<br>Alfred Akin Jr is the( optical expert)
<br>
<br>Dewey Linze (reserch)
<br>
<br>Some contributing writers are Clyde Ormond,
<br>Bob Wallack, Dick Simmons, and others.
<br>
<br>Anybody recognize any of these men?
<br>
<br>In the magazine Robert Hutton writes a a great article.
<br>Taming The Wildcats;
<br>
<br>In it he says, First bear in mind than an improved cartridge is not a wildcat under the strict definition. It is an increased capacity cartridge caused by fireforming with a factory cartridge always utilized. A wildcat is a complete change; one brought about by use of dies, hydraulic equipment, fireforming, by trimmers, or a combination of these methods.
<br>The 30-06 Ackley Improved, for example, is not a wildcat
<br>because it is produced by firing factory ammo in an enlarged chamber, and then reloading for better results.
<br>The 35 Whelen cartridge is a true wildcat because the 30-06 brass first is placed in a die and necked up to .35 caliber. The article goes on to name many wildcats.
<br>Anyway an interesting read for me at least.
<br>
<br>He, my father in law also gave me The Rifle Magazine
<br>Number ONE Jan.-Feb 1969 with a whole new generation of young writers to add to the ole salts. Its staff consitited of
<br>Neal Knox, editor
<br>Jim Carmichel associate editor
<br>John wooters " "
<br>R.T. Wolfe " "
<br>Parker Ackley, Wildcats
<br>John Buhmiller, African Rifles
<br>Harvey Donaldson, Histroical
<br>Roy Dunlap, Gunsmithing
<br>Edward Ezell, Technology
<br>Bob Hagel, Hunting
<br>Ken Waters, General Assigment
<br>Maj. George C. Nonte, Military
<br>Edward Yard, Ballistics
<br>Don Zutz, General Assignment
<br>
<br>Nice line up to say the least.
<br>
<br>It looks like a LOT of writers yesterday and today got
<br>their start and or earned their spurs with Rifle Magazine.
<br>
<br>Bet Ken helped a few get started, he'll never tell us though.
<br>
<br>or will you?
<br>
<br>
<br>

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of those you've listed from G&A, I knew (or know) Judge Martin,* Jeff Cooper, and Bob Wallack.*
<br>
<br>Of those you've listed from Rifle, I knew (or know) Neal Knox, Jim Carmichel, John Wootters, John Buhmiller,* Bob Hagel, Ken Waters, George Nonte,* and Don Zutz.* Have been on hunting trips with several of 'em.
<br>
<br>* now long gone, alas
<br>
<br>Of the current writers whose names you'd recognize, I know too many to list here. And no, I won't tell you the names of currently well known writers whom I helped to get started and under way -- including some I persuaded to "try writing" -- because at least some of 'em'd rather you didn't know that they owe any smidgen of their careers to anyone besides themselves. And if I were to list their names, some of you here would get the feeling that I was "name-dropping" in an attempt to bask in the reflected glow of their reputations.
<br>
<br>I will say, however, that I'm very proud of each and every one for what they have all done -- by their own good, hard work -- to take full advantage of the starts that I helped 'em with. That's a fine private feeling that can't be shared. A few years ago, to help friends launch a new magazine, I contacted a slew of these writers about writing for it and warned that early rates of pay for their articles wouldn't be great. They all said, in almost exactly the same words, "If you're going to be the Editor, I'll be [happy, honored, etc] to be on your staff." That still warms my ol' heart, of course, but it's also private as to who told me that.
<br>
<br>I understand your interest, your curiosity -- but can't feed it. Sorry. Some private things have to stay private. I don't mind sharing, but some of them care, and I must honor their desire for privacy in the matter.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I understand Ken, I really didnt expect you to.
<br>
<br>It's just fun to see where these magazines and its writers have progressed. It seems a lot of things
<br>written about back then are making the cylce now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken,
<br>Would it be possible for you to tell us a bit about John Buhmiller??I have always been fascinated by his work in Africa and with the 460 and 500 Buhmiller,but have never found any of his writings.
<br>
<br>Could you please share with us something about John?I know he had a huge battle with Ann Landers over his African exploits in control shooting elephant.
<br>
<br>Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't tell you much -- just trivia. The last time I saw John, I was in his shop, forming cases for his first trip to Africa. We exchanged letters for years after that, but all those letters are long lost. I didn't know about any feud with Ann Landers. I still use his old 10-inch commercial Ektar lens on my 4x5 Horseman camera, and my younger daughter now has John's old 4x5 Speed Graphic.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken,
<br>Trivia would make my day.
<br>
<br>Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John had more actual field experience with dangerous African game than our mutual friend Elmer had, and he favored bolt rifles for all situations and occasions. He pooh-poohed Elmer's idea that the big-cartridge double was the preferable arme du jour when speed and reliability in getting the second round off could be worth a million bucks a second. He came over to Elmer's way of thinking, however, when a wounded buff or rhino (I forget which) chased him around a tree while he was feverishly trying to clear a jam in his bolt rifle.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John was a real "bear for wear." He developed two cartridges that became (with belt added and shoulder contour changed) the .378 and .460 Weatherby. He also had a .50 version. I wish I could remember verbatim how he described the effect of shooting so many rounds PRONE. Just reading his dry, matter-of-fact description and imagining the effect made my head hurt.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John Buhmiller also made some of the best rifle barrels ever made. I rank him in the top three in his era.
<br>
<br>I have one of his barrels on a fine Floyd Butler smithed High Wall. It's one of my best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken,
<br>You must remember that Elmer didn't have the $$ to hunt Africa-period.Both of his big African safaris were paid for by others-otherwise he would have never been able to go.
<br>
<br>Elmer convinced Buhmiller to make the 500,which as you know is the 460 Weatherby necked to 50.Buhmiller claimed it to be the berrys for elephant-at least that's what Elmer said.
<br>
<br>I remember reading that Jack Lott said that shortly before he passed on,John had taken the 460 and necked it to .423 diamter.With a 400 grain bullet at 2700 FPS,he claimed it to be the BEST cartridge he ever used in Africa.A few decades later Ed Weatherby necked it down a whole seven thousandths and made the 416 Weatherby.
<br>
<br>That was a cape buffalo that chased John around the tree.He went to a 475 #2 double after that for buff.
<br>
<br>Brian.
<br>
<br>

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"You must remember that Elmer didn't have the $$ to hunt Africa-period.Both of his big African safaris were paid for by others-otherwise he would have never been able to go."
<br>
<br>I know that very well -- well enough that I don't need to be reminded of it. I'm afraid you've misread what I wrote, NONE of which was any kind of a put-down of Elmer's experience. As Elmer was preparing for his first Africa trip in 1957, I gave him 300 once-fired FA Match cases for his .333 OKH and arranged for the use of a good camera for the trip. He was GOING to go on safari without a camera. The thought still horrifies me. As it turned out, another friend, equally horrified, provided Elmer with a camera before I could get the Rollei from my father-in-law and turn it over to Elmer.
<br>
<br>Just sold my last Buhmiller premium barrel blank at a gun show in New Mexico. Had a carefully selected top-grade Buhmiller on the .35 Whelen that Iver Henriksen built for me in 1956 and 1957 -- my son has the rifle now. It's the rifle that Ken Waters used for his first "Pet Loads" work-up on the .35 Whelen.
<br>
<br>My old sourdough friend Jack McPhee was a long-time close friend of Floyd Butler (whom I never met) and held both Butler and his work in the highest regard. I'd assume that a Floyd Butler rifle with a Buhmiller barrel would be hard to equal, virtually impossible to beat.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken,
<br>
<br>Floyd told me that he used only Buhmiller blanks unless the customer specified another. I met Floyd after buying the High Wall that he made and searching him out after I compared it to other work.
<br>
<br>A Butler rifle usually has his trademark art work on the stock. The grip cap area by Floyd had a particular shape that had a subtle style. If the cheekpiece called for enough wood (which my highwall does) he would carve a spiral under the forward part of the cheekpiece.
<br>
<br>But the real value of a Butler rifle was knowing the character of Floyd. He lived a simple life with his wife in Raceville, NY and was most proud of playing his violin in church on Sunday. When he finished the stock on the .375 Improved that I had supplied the expensive blank on he said the work was free! He told me he made a mistake? and that the forend was a littlle too thin. I could not see what he ment and the rifle was beautiful. He would not take any money for the work and that included bluing the barreled action. Finally he said that $60 would cover it. I think Floyd repaired guns for free for some and charged others what they could pay and that might be a lot more.
<br>
<br>I would rate Floyd out of the thousands and thousands of people I have met in my long life as one of the finest people ever to walk the face of this earth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Floyd Butler HAD to be better than average or acceptable in virtually every way, for Jack McPhee to regard him as highly as he did.
<br>
<br>Jack had a Floyd Butler high-wall Winchester that usually could light matches but occasionally went wild. Butler came close to beating Jack over the head with it before Jack finally let him take it, study it, and solve its problem. That rifle just about drove Butler crazy, but he persisted and eventually found (and of course corrected) the problem -- the microscopically out-of-straight striker usually worked right but occasionally got skewed just enough to bind, thereby retarding ignition just a hair. A new Butler-made striker took care of THAT, tout de suite.
<br>
<br>-- at the cost (to Butler) of many hours of puzzlement and work but (to Jack) ne'er a thin cent.
<br>
<br>

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Floyd had a copy of the Declaration of Independence up on his wall in his living room. He maintained that it was the original one given to Lyman Hall who was one of the signers. I don't think Floyd even had a TV set or for that matter if there was TV reception in Raceville. He did listen to the Texaco Opera on the radio on Sunday however. That was a highlight to him.
<br>
<br>I wonder now what happened to that copy of the Declaration of Independence?
<br>
<br>I wonder if Ken Waters knew Floyd. He must have. Ken is the kind of guy who could do a nice story on Floyd. Of course few of us really knew Floyd Butler but just talking about people like that makes life a pleasure.
<br>
<br>Floyds guns were marked Poutney, VT as that was the nearest village that had a post office.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I wonder if Ken Waters knew Floyd."
<br>
<br>I think he did. Seems to me that Ken has spoken of him, to me, as if he knew him, and I think he had one of his "Poultney, Vermont" rifles. Ken used to be city engineer in New Canaan, Connecticut. How far would that be from Butler's?

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not far for us New Englanders. Maybe a four hour drive. I don't know about Ken but lot's of rifle guys tend to roam that country looking for places to hunt chucks. A ride to Raceville and back would just be a nice day trip.
<br>
<br>Thanks for staying with me on this conversation on rifle history.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No fret, no sweat, no pain, no strain, Don. I find this kind of reminiscing conversation quite enjoyable -- though a wee bit less so now than before I lost several extra-special good fellow conversers to cancer, heart failure, murder, etc.
<br>
<br>Somebody on TV the other night said that the worst thing about getting old was getting old -- nope -- the worst is getting old with so many cherished old friends no longer along on the same trip. Getting old in good company has many rewarding moments. I paused just now and jotted-down the names of those now gone who came immediately to mind, and I had nearly two dozen names as fast as I could write 'em down. Some would mean nothing to you, but you'll quickly recognize the names and imagine the voids left by several (e g, H P White, Elmer Keith, John Buhmiller, John Amber, Curt LeMay, Bill Ruger, Bob Milek, Bob Wallack, Bill Jordan, Walt Melander, Charlie O'Neil, Iver Henriksen, Don Martin).

"Good enough" isn't.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ken the men you named, help make for a great foundation for the shooting sports as we know it today.
<br>Bless those guys, they enjoyed life like I would like to.
<br>
<br>Back in my young teens I worked my tail off for a summer, I saved every penny for my dream rifle and scope. My dad told me to take my time and study ballistics and read the cranks of the past. I did, one
<br>of them being Colonel Townsend Whelen. He had an
<br>article which I still have touting the merits of the 7mm-06
<br>or 280 Rem. In it he say's "If the 175g 7mm could be
<br>given the same velocity as the 30-06 (2,700 fps) in the same weight of the of rifle and the same length of barrel as the .30-06 and with no greater recoil, it would surpass the .30-06 180 grain load in flatness of trajectory, wind bucking ability an killing power. Thus it would be just a little better than our very best American game rifle known today. And it is!"
<br>I made my choice then, a 280 Remington with a Leupold
<br>m8 6x. I used that rifle for 20 years and never looked back. Still have it, except it sports a Marqaurt 7mm barrel. One of first, if not the first one he made when he
<br>decided to go to a lower caliber than .30. I had him put my name on the right hand side near the reciever, he thought it odd and then laughing asked me if I wanted my SS# on it as well. I said no. What a great guy he was!
<br>
<br>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
87 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 14 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.