Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm planning to have a 338/06 built on a Rem 700 action. and I'm thinking a 210 gr Nosler would be my prefered bullet. I would like a short heavy barrel as well but I'm not locked into that idea
What would be the optimum barrel lenght and twist for that caliber/bullet combo?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any barrel length from 22 to 28 inches would be good. The best compromise between velocity and accuracy would probably be 24 inches.

To get the range of appropriate twists (minimum and maximum) in inches, square the diameter of the bullet (multiply it by itself), divide the result by the length of the bullet, and then multiply the result of that calculation first by 150 for the shortest appropriate twist, then by 200 for the longest. The longer twists in this range will be the best for adequately stabilizing the bullet without over-stabilizing it and thereby reducing its effective range. I don't think you'll have to worry about spinning the bullet too fast for it to hold together, which is another matter subject to other calculations.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can do that. Thank you

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
With the interesting application of the Greenhill formula the question on twist is perfectly answered.

Please let me add some words on barrel length.

The decision for a longer or shorter barrel is often bound to the purpose of the rifle.
As a hunter you're going for a short, i.e. light and handy, rifle, but as a Long Range competitor you may want to make use of the extra fps a long barrel provides plus the better alignment of sights (does not apply to scopes).

When you happen to have a look at a pressure/barrel length diagram, the area underneath the pressure curve is the pressure. When this diagram is laid out for a 32" barrel and you consider to make use of a 24" barrel, you see immediately how much pressure = powder (this is the area between the 24" mark and the muzzle) you give away unused - and even worse: the heavier muzzle blast may give your bullet an unwanted kick which may causes a disturbed departure.

Not enough complications yet: when you start considerations on barrel vibrations, your question has the potential to become very difficult and moorish.

... nothing but books ...
Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting addition, but I think I will go with a fairly heavy 22 inch free floated barrel. As to vibration, as long as the bullet leaves at the same point of the shift every time I can adjust for it
I have long fast rifles and and short handy ones, but on this one I want repeatability for the average mid range shot, something in the '06 speed range but with a bit more frontal area. I also really like the 338 bullets
Best of all it lets me get rid of that *><# *ing 270 without having to use a torch on it.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

... nothing but books ...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The .338-06 has a bore/case capacity ratio about like the .308 Winchester, which operates quite well in a 22" or even shorter barrel. In fact the .338 Winchester Magnum itself does very well in a 22" barrel, because it's bore/capacity ratio is about like the .30-06's.

I think you'll be very happy with a fairly heavy 22" barrel. I built a .338-06 just like that with a #4 Douglas and it shot very well with any bullet from 200 to 250, and generally into the same point of impact. I could never tell the difference, and I've had 24" .338-06's too. Evidently the differences in individual barrels can greater than the 2" in barrel length.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,655
Posts18,455,579
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.