Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
While I have this A Bolt (first gen medallion) at a gunsmith...is there anyway to remove the shiney varnish and just do a satin oil finish?

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
yes. it's tough stuff and will require a good gel stripper. do a search in "gunsmithing". there are numerous products recommended.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Whats the wood like under all that crap on the A Bolt? Am I making a mistake?

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
some of it is pretty decent black walnut that looks good with an oil finish.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
FlFirmedic<

Try getting just some 0000 steel wool, a bit of wetting linseed oil, and gently rubbing that bowling ball surface to a smooth satin finish without stripping it.

Attend to the sharp edges so you don't cut thru too deeply there.Wipe often with a cloth and see how it's going.

That finish can be 'satined' nicely with a bit of hand work and care and so avoid the refinishing gig..

TRY that approach first..IF the results don't suit, you can still strip the wood and start from scratch..but I suspect it will..
Good luck and take your time..
When done , dry and wipe with an old tee shirt and put on some Johnson's paste wax ...buff lightly ...and take 'er out.Jim

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Years ago I buffed out a glossy Remington 700 stock using steel wool. It took some patience, but turned out nicely.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
UtahLefty, Those old Remington 70's vintage ADLs & BDLs sure had a high gloss finish..:)
Looked great in the corner gun case ( if you like high gloss wood) but a bit too slick and shiny for the hunter..:) Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cira 1850 furniture stripper a good sanding, some Tru-Oil and you'll be golden.Also once stripped a wet towl and a hot iron does wonders at taking out small bumps as long as the grain ain't broken.

As above posters stated that Browning finish is tough to strip off.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Originally Posted by jim in Oregon
UtahLefty, Those old Remington 70's vintage ADLs & BDLs sure had a high gloss finish..:)
Looked great in the corner gun case ( if you like high gloss wood) but a bit too slick and shiny for the hunter..:) Jim

hence my "vast" experience stripping and refinishing them with Tru-Oil and LinSpeed! laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do not use stripper on that finish unless you like being miserable! Just knock the sheen off with rottenstone and mineral oil on a felt rag. The rottenstone should applied in long strokes with the grain and not in little circles. Small circles will leave you an uneven finish that will be difficult to make uniform.

Just dip the rag in mineral oil and then in rottenstone to make a slurry. It is anything but easy and it will take some effort to get it done in reasonable time, but just get after it and do not wipe it down to look too much or you will disappoint yourself.

Never use steel wool on a stock as some tiy particles of steel will be left in the finish and it will "freckle" when it rusts. Tiny freckles will not be obvious unless you look with magnification... but they will be there robbing luster.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The only way to remove an epoxy type finish from a stock, yours or a 700 Remington, etc. is to use aircraft quality paint stripper. If you try to sand the stock, chances are you will do more damage than if you just left it alone, but with aircraft type stripper, which is "NOT" available at Home Depot, or your local hardware store, the job becomes easy. You can get this type of striper,at an automotive paint store. It will remove the finish, without a lot of work, and allow you to easily do a nice job. Mask off all plastics, as it will eat it as well. I learned this the hard way, but now I will refinish "ANY" stock regardless of finish, as long as I have the proper "Stripper".

Jerry

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But if the shine is all that bothers why remove the finish? Rubbing to an eggshell luster will leave a good looking finish where glossy was... And it will be far less work and probably a better finish than oil from the standpoints of durability and waterproofness.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm with Sitka and Jim on this one- at least try removing the lustre before you go to the extreme of stripping that finish! Stripping a finish and refinishing is an endeavor that rarely works out like you thought it would..

I just did MY problem shiny Browning, a BLR, with 0000 steel wool as mentioned by Jim. I don't know one way or the other if the speckling problem will be a problem; hadn't occurred to me. If you'd like, I could try to get a decent photo of my de-glossed BLR and post it so you can see the results. It took about an hour and a half, and I really like the look now.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 48 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.