Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have an old gunstock with beautiful wood that I put about 20 coats of tru-oil on, reducing the finish to level each time. The final coat makes the thing pretty, but the oil finish is really soft. Anyone tried thinned Acra-Glas for the final, hard, finish?

Wayne

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm afraid I can't give you an answer, but my impression is that what you are contemplating is the reverse of the usual sequence of combining those finishes. Sitka Deer has written quite a bit here on using epoxy as a base coat, with oil as a finish coat.

I'm interested because I'm getting ready to finish a stock that way. I don't really understand what you mean when you say the Tru-oil is soft. It may not be as hard as some finishes, but it never seemed particularly fragile to me. I have a walnut kitchen knife rack that I made and finished with Tru-oil more than 40 years ago, and it still looks good. Not saying that proves anything.

I will be interested in responses to your question. Still, if I were in your position I would probably leave things alone. Sounds like you did a nice job on your rifle already.

Edited to add: My limited understanding is that the base coat(s) is more of a determining factor in the overall durability of the finish than the top coat(s).

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
How long has it been drying/curing? The only time I had an issue with Tru Oil was when I used some that I had around for a while. It took a long time to dry/cure. It hadn't hardened up in the container, but I think it's "shelf life" may have expired.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Yep, it's a matter of degree, I agree. When I say "hard finish", I mean something like the gloss, rock hard finish on a Weatherby. True oil can be dug around even with a fingernail. I want a finish that won't dent when dinged around just handling the gun, looking at it.

Wayne

Last edited by peepsight3006; 03/02/08.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Then you chose the wrong finish.

Epoxy on top now will flex with the oil and then seperate. Oil on top will just give and the epoxy below will remain rigid. Oil between two harder media, wood and epoxy, is asking for trouble.

Your best choice now may be spar varnish with expectations of repairs, easily done in the future.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm convinced. It stays the way it is. It's very attractive the way it is and, "If it ain't broke ...".

Wayne

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For anyone wantitng to to try Acra-Glas as a stock finish foundation, the procedure is detailed here:

http://doublegunshop.com/stokeld1.htm

RWO

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good link, RWO.

Folks, read the warning at the end of the article about the dangers of breathing the sanding dust. I have reactive airway disease, a form of asthma, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was caused, at least in part, by epoxy and wood dust. Walnut dust is one of the worst, from what I understand.

Be careful out there.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RWO
My father and I started using epoxy for finish a lot of years ago. He wrote an article published in G&A (IIRC) describing the process at least 25 years ago. We made a number of significant changes to the process and materials after that time. I have spent much time testing samples to verify which steps make the most sense and which were counterproductive.

After reading the link you posted I have to say there is little there I agree with. His system will work and well, but it is far from the best and for waterproofing the stock it will fail terribly compared to the system I use. It will also be considerably softer because he uses acraglass rather than a slow-set epoxy and then compromises it with heat.

There are other issues raised there I have posted about previously also.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have used Fuller-O'Brien "Fuller Plast" many times. It is a Catalyzed Varnish and duplicates the Weatherby finish. I heard years ago the this is the product Weatherby actually used. I have no proof of this, but it sure does look the same. The nice thing about it is that you can mix up a small batch and after you coat your stock, put what is left in the freezer and it will last quite a long time.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.