Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ken,
<br>
<br>Without a doubt,you've diddled and fiddled,loaded and shot,an incredible spectrum of cartridges.
<br>
<br>My question is easy for me to ask,but I'm curious if it might be difficult for you to answer? Looking back in reflection,on everything you've had opportunity to play with,what is your favorite cartridge?
<br>
<br>Just the one cartridge you would most happily tote,to lend you the most satisfaction,in the pursuits you most enjoy. I guess,which one made you grin the most and was simply the most fun?
<br>
<br>I've always been curious in that regard and now that you're cornered,I can lay that question upon you(grin). I couldn't even speculate a diameter you might choose,let alone a specific chambering.
<br>
<br>22long rifle doesn't count(grin)...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was with you, Stick, up until that .22 LR thing. That was low! I call foul!
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even before I write my answer, it reminds me of how "Ol' Double Nothin'"used a diplomatic answer to slip out from under a tight question. At the dinner celebrating his retirement, this beloved trainer for many of the university's teams over the years was asked to name the best team in the university's history. Looking out over an audience that included alumni from many teams of the past several decades, Ol' Double Nothin' (he always wore jersey 00) grinned and answered,
<br>"Next year's!"
<br>
<br>My favorite cartridge now is one that I designed carefully on the twin bases of (a) things learned with so many cartridges of the last half century and (b) performance desired but not delivered by so many cartridges of the last half century. A lot of careful interior- and exterior-ballistics consideration -- made practicable by recent introductions in slower powders and heavier, more drag-resistant bullets -- went into the design of this cartridge. I have two rifles for it -- an AHR "factory" (in quotes because I bought a special barrel for it before it was built) and a custom job with a Richards bench-rest barrel and H-S Precision stock on a Nesika Bay bolt-action single-shot.
<br>
<br>Say, I'd better name the thing lest I forget to! The cartridge is my .220 Howell.
<br>
<br>BTW, it's one of a dozen cartridges that I designed specifically for the same basic improvements over standard cartridges. Whatever caliber interests you -- from .224 to .400 -- this twelve-cartridge family has a design to tantalize you. They're the .220, .240, .250, .260, .270, .280, .300, .320, .340, .350, .380, and .400 Howell. You can see 'em (except for the .400, I think) at http://www.hunting-rifles.com.
<br>
<br>And before you ask, no, I don't get a dime from any of these cartridges, rifles, or designs -- in any way. So my only interest is in their performance for you and your satisfaction with 'em. For me, that's plenty.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I would have not guessed that.
<br>
<br>I was thinking there was a chambering near and dear to your heart,that you fielded for years,that you were probably sweet on.
<br>
<br>Thanks for taking the time to answer...............

Last edited by Big Stick; 01/11/02.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BS
<br>
<br>If you check out the cartridge and what in can do, you will see why he likes it so much. These rifles are set up to air mail long skinny bullets accurately, well past 1000yds. They are the ultimate varmint rigs for the long distance varmint game.

Rick

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
mercedvh,
<br>
<br>I very much savvy the concept,what I'm not understanding is why not utilize what is already available.
<br>
<br>The 22-284 has the capacity,the 22-240Wby has the capacity(though I don't care for the case design)the 22Vais has the capacity and the 22-06/22-06Ackley certainly are of the capacity.
<br>
<br>Reamers are available,dies are on shelves and most enjoy a fair amount of popularity.
<br>
<br>I'm too dense,to savvy what another BIG 22 will do,that the others won't?..................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Supersonic bullets "stagger" when their velocities drop to or below Mach 1 -- from supersonic to transonic. With the .220 Howell's 75- and 80-grain bullets, this occurs at about 1,500 yards.
<br>
<br>(I stagger at a much lower velocity. Would you believe WHILE STANDING STILL?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I believe Ken uses the 25-06 case as a bases to make up his .220 Howell. I don't know why he settled on this. I may have read the reason somewhere, but I can't remember where. CRS strikes again!!!

Rick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.