Hop To
#49298 01/27/02
T
taurus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Considering purchasing DW revolver in 445, but unsure of which barrel length to order[ 6 or 8 inch]. I have read all the many opinions on difference in velocity, accuracy, sighting, etc in relationship to length of barrel. I think I would prefer the 6 inch for easier handling but don't want to give up accuracy or much velocity. Could you give me the scoop on barrel length in regards to the above criteria. I would be using this gun for deer hunting and target mainly up to 100 yards, maybe 150 yards on rare occasions. I probably will mount some sort of sight[scope] . Thank you!

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You and I have two questions here -- (a) Which one would I get? and (b) Which one would I advise you to get?
<br>
<br>I'd get the longer barrel. When one of the fellows at Taurus told me of their 12-inch-barrel .22s and .357, I sneered at the very idea. Then I got my paws on one (.22 Magnum) and liked it so well, I bought both a .22 Long Rifle and a .357 Magnum with 12-inch barrels -- and I've been bugging the guys at Taurus to produce a 12-inch Raging Bull in .44 Magnum, .480 Ruger, and .454 Casull (I suggested calling it the Range Bull). I covet a 12-inch Range Bull in .44 Magnum. If Taurus won't make it, I'll buy the 8-3/8-inch Raging Bull.
<br>
<br>I've owned, shot, and enjoyed a number of handguns with barrels as short as two or three inches. They're great for convenient carrying, but that's all -- and carrying is my only intended use for my four-inch .357 Magnum. For SHOOTING, I'll go with the longest barrel I can get, up to 12 inches. The long barrel puts the front sight out where my ancient bifocaled eyes can focus on it, and these long-barrel guns really SHOOT.
<br>
<br>If you're a skilled, experienced hand with a revolver, get the longer barrel and leave the scope off it. (If you can't hit the game you mention, at the range you mention, in the right place with a handgun, you shouldn't be hunting with a handgun.)
<br>
<br>If you're only so-so with a revolver, get the short barrel. It's long been noticed that less-experienced handgunners tend to shoot better with the shorter barrels. The reason is easy to understand -- beginners tend to try too hard with the longer barrels and as a result get too shaky.
<br>
<br>This unsteadiness of hold is also a problem with handgun scopes, especially those that magnify. I wouldn't put a scope on either the long- or the short-barrel DW. Develop deadly skill with the sights that come on the gun. The scope demands more skill than it makes-up for, in my experience. None of my formerly scoped handguns now has a scope on it, and I've been shooting better with iron than I ever could with glass.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a Burris 1X handgun scope that helps my old bifocaled eyes. You can see with both eyes open even without glasses. Best compromise in the scope vs iron I have found.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Taurus, shooting game with a hand gun is a blast. I use both iron sights and optics. I am getting where Iron dosn't work as well as it used to I have a range between 30 and 45 yards that is difficult to focus with my 4" Smith, closer I tend to instinct shoot further I see better. Takes a lot of practice. Scopes on hand guns work well if you practice your grip a lot just to get a sight picture. Hunting for the cross hairs and being able to see the full view offered by the scope quickly, easy, and every time takes many hours of practice. Sitting is different than standing as is resting, to be proficiant you have to get the grip to come naturally every time you raise the gun. Now throw in gloves and start all over.
<br>Next year I may get my bear with my 45-70 Contender. I practice two to three times a week just bringing the gun up to shoot. No gloves as it is not cold enough here during bear seaon to wear them. Back in your area if you hunt late fall start out with gloves. I can't wear gloves with any of my pistols my hands are too big to fit between the trigger guard and grip on most pistols as it is.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
BD Offline
taurus
<br> Of course the thing with DW's is that a fellow could always buy the forgone barrel length, (and shroud), at a later date if so desired. I've owned just a couple of .44 mags and I've sort of gravitated to a 6" barrel on my DW for hunting. It seems to be the right length for me to get a good sight picture, nose heavy enough to hold steady, and it will still carry in a hip holster. I do use a 2x scope for load work up, although I've never hunted with it. Carrying around a big scoped hand gun is not that much more convenient than carrying a small rifle IMHO.

BD
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
503 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 42 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.