Print Thread
Hop To
S
stocker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Sitka (et al)- See you're back in the world again Sitka. Here's something you might have occasion to try. A fellow brought me a repro Husqvarna stock to finish up. You know the kind- almost completely to dimension , usually too much wood removed? Hate them. Anyhow this piece of wood had in inclusion in the forend of either dark soft wood or a bit of bark. It was either remove it and put in an inlay or try to toughen it up. I've used epoxies in the past for this but it's usually harder than the wood and when you're sanding the adjacent wood wants to wear away faster than the epoxy. On my rodbuilding bench I had a bottle of a rod winding finish sold by Pacific Bay. This stuff gives a polymer type finish but you use it straight out of the bottle. It's also thinner than the two-part polymers so it penetrates well . To end this, 4 coats of this and the soft spot was now firmed up and as it had flaked away from the surrounding solid wood it was also above surface level. I preheated the area with a heat gun and the wood just sucked the stuff in.
<br>A bit of wet sanding and voila it now just looks like a darker bit of grain. I think when the rest of the stock is finished it will blend right in.Benefit was the sanding rate is very similar to the solid wood so it levelled out well. I suspect it will also work well for refinishing where you want to build up a depression (bump mark) in areas that preclude sanding them out such as along the thin edges of some forends, adjacent to checkering etc.
<br>besto

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
stocker
<br>That sounds like a good idea, I've not tried it. Will have to see if I can't find some. Does it leave ghost lines around the spot? I have an uncle who showed me how to use a little graining brush, and just about anything gets hidden these days, but simpler would be better...
<br>
<br>Have used lots of epoxy, but have been using superglue to firm up soft stuff, like western maple and have been very happy with it- except that it shrinks the wood an unbelieveable amount.
<br>
<br>thanks for the tip
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
stocker Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Sitka: here's the scoop:, product is called U-40, Perma Gloss. It's some form of pure urethane. Appears to be made or distributed by Trondak, Inc., Lynnwood. Wa., 98036. Thing is it builds up quite a bit with repeated coats. Really seemed to penetrate that inclusion well. No ghost rings when I sanded it level. I see a number of uses for this gun wise. I don't know that it would replace the epoxy method of sealing you use. But it sure looks like it would be great as a barrel channel sealer etc for stocks that haven't had the epoxy treatment. I've used it on my fly rod windings for a couple of years and it resists water, sun, abrasion, salt.. It dries quite fast on a warmed object. Several coats can be piled on in an evening to build it up. Time will tell just how useful it will be. besto.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stocker
<br>Many thanks! Will look into that stuff ASAP... I too, see lots of possibilities.
<br>best to you
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

401 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 45 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.