Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ken:
<br>
<br>I have been helping a friend load his new .450 Dakota. As you know, the parent case is the based on the beltless .416 Rigby. It is apparent from inspection of the brass that the shoulder is back a few thousandths. When chambering this will result in excessive head space. To confirm this, I simply chambered a primed case (no powder, no bullet) and snapped the cap. The primer was pushed a few hundredths out of the primer pocket.
<br>
<br>I am considering loading a light bullet 400gr into the lands with a light load - 100gr of H-4350. This would solve the head space problem, however, I am concerned about pressure. I considered simply fire forming that brass, however, I am sure the primer is going to back out before the powder expands the case enough to grab the chamber.
<br>
<br>Any tricks or ideas to solve this problem?

GB1

M
M70 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
ZeroDrift
<br>
<br>There is a method of re-forming those cases to properly fit that particular chamber. It's called hydro-forming. A rather long and involved process. If you are interested, E-mail me and I can write you a narative and send pictures of the equipment needed to do such.
<br>
<br>Good hunting,
<br>Dale (M70)

Good Hunting,
M70
aka, Dale

life. . . . used up, worn out, nothing left but the memories, an' ah yellin' "WOW !! What a ride!!"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Easiest is to just buy 450 brass from Dakota. If the barrel was chambered properly you will have no problems.
<br>
<br>Next thing, if you are forming from 416 Rigby, the old case forming standby is to bump the neck up so it is larger than the chamber neck, then size in the 450 Dakota die, carefully adjusting the die, so that you leave a small shoulder on the neck that will hold the case firmly against the bolt. Adjust the die by trial and error, you want a snug bolt close on the case. If you know someone with a lathe you can make the neck expand "bump" plug of the correct size.

From Real Sasquatch Country: I Seen 'em!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All right, one more time (I've told this so often, I probably mumble it in my sleep).
<br>
<br>Fire-form with inert filler. DON'T OMIT ANY STEP from this procedure:
<br>a. prime with pistol primers
<br>b. load about 1/10 of a caseful of pistol or shotgun powder
<br>c. wad 1/4 square of toilet tissue atop the powder charge
<br>d. fill case to the mouth with inert filler (eg: Cream of Wheat, corn meal, Instant Ralston -- NEVER flour)
<br>e. "seal" mouth with smear of bullet lube or stiff grease (NEVER a bullet)
<br>f. lube case with sizing lube
<br>g fire
<br>
<br>The case will bear hard back against the breech face before the pressure builds enough to reach its peak.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friend Ken,
<br>Funny you should mention not using flour. The following is apropo of nothing I suppose but don't anyone tell me it is impossible or that it can't happen. To shamelesly steal the title of Uncle Elmer's book. Hell, I was there.
<br>When I used to do CW reenacting I sometimes worked a cannon crew. It was sop to add about a pound of flour ahead of the charge to make more "smoke" for the crowd when fireing. We were working Butch's 12 pounder and every thing was going just fine. The weather was warm and the atmosphere heavy. About the third shot fifteen feet in front of the muzzle there was the Godawfullest roar and ball of fire in the middle of the smoke cloud you ever saw. Knocked #3 on his tail. Awfull concussion. Don't think a dust explosion can't happen in the open air. It sure did once. Impressive as the dickens.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just a hint for "b"....instead of trying to guess 1/10 of case full, fill the case with the powder you are going to use and then dump it out and weigh it....use 1/10 of that weight to start.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.