Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
elwood Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Folks:
<br>
<br>Forgive me for asking such a basic question but what is considered the best reloading press going? Any opinions? In the past I've used a Lyman Spartan T and an RCBS Rock Chucker but currently in the process of setting up a new reloading area and was considering an older Lyman All American. Just because they seem neat. Never had any problems with the others.
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>
<br>Elwood

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i'm pretty happy w/ my rockchucker, so far. if i was going to get another press, i would look at hornady's progressive...if i wanted to stay w/ a single-stage, i'd get another rockchucker.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
ditto to Big time's post

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my Rock Chucker. If you watch for a sale, you can find them $50-75 or part of a whole kit. Definately shop around...

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there isn't a thing wrong with any of the presses mentioned. I like Lee.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

elwood Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks folks. I've had good luck with a Rock Chucker also so I guess I'll head that way.
<br>
<br>Elwood

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The rockchucker is the only way to go.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forster Co-Ax

I sold my Lyman and went to RCBS!

Hunt Safe!

Jack
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have used the same Rock Chucker for over 20 years. No complaints, so if I ever decide to set up another press it will be a Rock Chucker too.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love my Rockchucker. Wouldn't mind having two. My all-time favorite -- my ancient RCBS A-2, grandpappy of the Rockchucker, unfortunately isn't available any more. I can't remember ever seeing even a used one for sale. At one time, I had THIRTEEN presses, from all the makers of QUALITY presses -- too many to use -- so I let some of my writers have most of them. My current loading projects have led me to "rediscover" a couple of the Redding presses -- the Ultramag and the [now] older turret press. (Redding has just up-graded the turret press, but I'm still more than content with the classic older model.)
<br>
<br>You can't go wrong with a Rockchucker, but don't discount the Redding Boss and Ultramag too quickly -- especially the Ultramag, which has managed to improve on even the original RCBS compund-leverage ram linkage (by attaching the upper ends of the links at the base of the die station, so the C frame can not be sprung under a heavy sizing or swaging load). Although I don't prime in the press, the priming arm on the Ultramag is an improvement, too.
<br>
<br>Whatever you shop for, stay as far as you can get from those pot-metal marvels -- no need to name 'em here; they're ultra-cheap, ultra-light, obviously flimsy at first glance. They're even overpriced for use only for decapping with a dedicated decapping die and NOTHING else. Also, go for a press with a cast-iron frame (rather than cast aluminum).
<br>

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

<br>I recently got a Rockchucker to replace an old Lee press that I had used for 21 years. The Rockchucker is a very good and solid press but doesn't have an abundance of clearance for say a 338 Ultra while bullet seating. Not really a complaint but would like a bigger opening. I may try a Redding Ultramag press,one of these days

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the Ultramag ram all the way down, the top of the shell-holder is about 4-1/8 inches below the bottom of the die -- IOW, about 4-1/4 inches from the bottom of the case recess in the shell-holder to the bottom of the die.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

elwood Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks again folks....all good advice. I load mostly for small calibers that are old and hard to find and wasn't too concerned about the strength but I guess better safe than sorry and you can do anything with a strong press that you can do with a light weigh one. Then it will be there if I need it. Can't get away from the old stuff...love the class the older scopes, guns, presses, sights, etc. have. I started this thread because I was wondering if there was a classic old press out there that would fit my older calibers.
<br>
<br>Elwood

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elwood; Have to go along with Clint on this one. There is NO better press made than the Forster [used to be Bonanza] Coaxial press. Has been around for decades, and cannot be improved on, IMHO. BTW, I also use the Rockchucker, but the lion's share of my reloading is done on the Co-ax. Regards, Eagleye.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.
elwood Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Eagleye:
<br>
<br>Do they (Forster) still make the Coaxial press? Actually this all started when I saw a TV program about the Army Marksmanship Team. It showed them reloading thier ammo on a press that I wasn't familiar with. It looked very much like an old C-H Magnum press. Single station but real strong. Anyway, thanks and I'll look into the Forster.....
<br>
<br>Elwood

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Go to: www.forsterproducts.comm to take a look at the co-axial and to: www.ch4d.com to look at the Champion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
elwood,
<br> I caught the same show, MAGNUMS or the History Channel if I'm not mistaken. The press shown is a Forster Co-Ax. I have one and can't recommend it more highly. I learned a bit on a Rockchucker, however, if you can I think you'll really like the Co-Ax. Good to go.
<br>
<br>Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
elwood Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Matt:
<br>
<br>You're correct, the show was about Magnums....and I got only a brief look at the press. With advice from other folks on the forum, I have since found them at a couple of on-line places. They are a little costly but look like they are made for business. Guess I'll have to have one.
<br>
<br>Thanks for verifying the press and the show.
<br>
<br>Elwood

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Elwood. i have a few presses, each seems to be used for a specific duty. I use my Rockchucker for mostly larger cases ie: magnum, i have a old C&H that is used for 357 and 44. this is due in part to my bench set up. and i have an Aluminum Pacific C press actually two of them one on the bench to do my pistol round bullet seating the other on the floor under foot. Also have a couple Mec 650 shot shell loaders rigged up to swap places when one or the other is needed, 12&20. But the best press is the RockChucker. Also have a Texan Turrent press but don't use it. Find lot's of reloading gear at garage and yard sales, gun shows are getting to expensive, too many guys think they can get new prices for used stuff.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.