Print Thread
Hop To
D
DB Bill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I don't have any desire to make my own cast bullets but I do want to learn about how to reload them for both light practice loads and full-power hunting loads. Can you suggest any good books, pamphlets, manuals, loading guides, web-sites, etc to reduce the learning curve.
<br>
<br>Especially interested in practice loads for my new bolt-action .450 Marlin.
<br>
<br>Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lyman has extensive information about cast bullets and included reloading information about cast bullets in their loading manuals. Wolfe Publishing in Arizona has published books about it and may have copies available. RCBS has information in a small booket also. Check 'em out. I'd start with the Lyman reloading manual first.

Rolly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You hit me IRIGHTI (right between the eyes) with this one. Until you asked, it hadn't occurred to me that the only references to cast bullets that I can think of, off-hand, all refer to CASTING, then lubing, sizing, and loading cast bullets. I can't immediately think of any that discusses hunting with 'em.
<br>
<br>I've hunted and taken big game with cast bullets, and I can't think of any advice that I might give you that wouldn't apply equally to cast and jacketed bullets. Just be sure to use enough bullet but not too much and put it in the right place from not too far away.
<br>
<br>My last big cast-bullet critter was a wild boar, a huge cross between a Prussian (usually called, erroneously, "Russian" boar) and a Florida razorback -- just a few hamburgers shy of 300 pounds. As he quartered away, running for the high marsh grass along the coast of Georgia, I fired from about 75 to 90 yards and caught him with a cast Keith 429421 from my then-new Redhawk .44 Magnum. The bullet hit just behind the last rib on the right side and went out just forward of the left shoulder, apparently after ranging through both lungs. "Hawg" just fell onto his left side and sprayed a pink mist in the air with his dying squeal. I don't know what I would've done differently with a jacketed bullet -- or what a jacketed bullet or the boar would've done differently. From the beginning of my handloading (over fifty years ago), I've loaded and used ONLY cast bullets in all my revolvers.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.beartoothbullets.com they will have quite a bit of info on loads for cast bullets.

Allen Glore

aglore@gci.net
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heres the links to Lasercast(Oregon Trail Bullet Co.) and the site for there premium bullet line.The Trueshot site has load data thats verbatim from their Lasercast Manual.I just discovered the Trueshot bullets and have'nt shot any yet but their regular line are great and priced affordably.
<br>Jeff
<br>www.laser-cast.com/
<br>www.trueshotbullets.com/

Jeff

I'm NOT the JScottRupp of Wolfe Publishing.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Lyman cast bullet handbook is the best manual I've found on loading for cast bullets. Yes, it also includes info on casting. It is especially good with info on reduced loads.
<br>
<br>I don't know if there is revised edition that would have data for the 450 marlin. As I recall, there are a couple sections for the 45-70 with different pressure level loads.
<br>
<br>I have done a fair bit of casting, and cast bullet shooting. If you are looking for pistol level velocities out of your 450, you'll find that 2400 is a very versitile, and accurate cast bullet powder. I'd venture to say (though I've never loaded for the 450) that Reloader 7 will be an excellent choice for top level loads.
<br>
<br>The only down side of commercial cast bullets is you don't have the flexibility of tailoring them to the prefernces of your gun. Many commercial firms size their bullets just at minimum bore size, in your case .458" or possibly even .457", while most guns prefer a bullet a though or two larger ie .459" or .460". Asside from that, gas checked bullets are more tollerant of loading them mild to wild w/o leading. Plainbase bullets can work well, though I'd be concerned about them leading at full pressure levels. Bevel based bullets should be avoided like the plague IMHO.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Veral Smith of LBT wrote a book called "Jacketed Perfomance with Cast Bullets." He got in trouble with the IRS and is now in prison, but I think the book is still available via the sixgunner.com website. There is a lot of information in it and I highly recommend it. Hope this helps, Okie John.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ross Seyfried mentioned that Veral's book is available form Veral's wife. I think she has the LBT lube as well. I seen this in either Handloader or Rifle magaiznes, some months back. ~~~Suluuq

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

719 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.