Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#92365 09/19/02
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As I approach my 100th post .... I realize I have yet to stir the hornets nest [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>I understand the benifits of synthetic stocks. At best they look nice on a rifle. But it is time for the non-vocal minority to speak-up!! Nothing looks better on a rifle than a nice wood stock (reason I purchased my Weatherby with a Wood stock). Actually IMO an average wood stock looks better than most synthetic stocks (even though I'm getting ready to buy a rifle with a synthetic stock). THERE I SAID IT!!!
<br>
<br>(George runs and hides .... now peeks out)
<br>
<br>I reckon this would not be a real George post without a question attached.
<br>
<br>Given my fondness of wood stocks .... How are the performance of Laminate Stocks?? Better than wood? Worse than a sythetic?? Which is it closer to (wood or synthetic)?? Can I get the looks of wood with the performance of synthetic??
<br>
<br>Thank-you
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

#92366 09/19/02
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Laminates are neither fish nor fowl... they'll still warp, are damn heavy and aren't as good looking as figured walnut nor do they have the "honesty" of fiberglass... IMO, an utterly worthless compromise that emodies the worst of wood and fiberglass in combination.
<br>
<br>The reason I'll never give a fig about wood stocks is because I view the rifle as a tool... a "hammer that goes bang" if you will... I'm into utility. As the saying goes, "beauty is as beauty does" and fiberglass, to me, is where it's at. If you want art, there's plenty to be had that'll go on your wall. Walnut was the utilitarian handle of yester year... fiberglass is today's walnut... just not yet enshrined in the mists of sentimentality.
<br>
<br>Brad
<br>
<br>

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
#92367 09/19/02
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Avo:
<br>
<br>Personally, I don't care too much what they look like. I've had a couple of fine wood stocked customs. They were beyootiful. But!!! I tend to use 'em hard as I backpack for 90% of my big game. I absolutely destroyed a nice Goudy stock on my second goat hunt on the panhandle. Synthetic is a more functional tool.
<br>
<br>Laminates are closer to sythetic than wood in performance and there is an outfit in Mt. that makes a really fine looking laminate. (Acra Bond) I think. The lams weigh about the same as a factory (tupperware) synthetic, but far more that the best custom synthetics.
<br>
<br>JimF

#92368 09/20/02
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
this outift makes great lamiate stocks. I have the wildcat version on my 358 norma
<br>http://www.reamerrentals.com/elk_ridge.htm
<br>Brad I have to disagree I love my lamiate stock.
<br>tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
#92369 09/24/02
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I tend to agree with the posts above. Yes my rifle is a tool. I spent 7 years as a textile mechanic as i worked my way through college and my tools were used hard every day (actually night ... 2nd shift) but they still look as good today as when i purchased them (except the hammers and pipe wrenches). Why can i not expect the same for my rifle!!!
<br>
<br>I know the benifits of synthetic stocks ... but i still like the intrinsic beauty of wood. I don't put my TV into a plastic entertainment center ... it is a tool ... it holds a TV. Using the purely utilitarian nature stated above we should go out and ford pintos (to drive about) ... hey its all we need to get the job done. Except for when duty call and then we can drive a 1979 Chevy PU to haul the things we need hauled ... it all we need ... it is a tool.
<br>
<br>But most of us drive vehicles we enjoy (but may not need) because they look nice and we like them. I could go into many items we buy that are nice to look at but could easily (and more cheaply in most cases) be made of plastic ... hey the plastic is probably more durable ... let's all have family portraits in plastic frames on the mantle.
<br>
<br>If my Weatherby or Tikka can shoot 1 - 1.5" groups at 100 yards .. and I like the look and feel of wood ... then why tell me wood (or laminates) are so horrible!!
<br>
<br>My girlfriend serves a certian purpose in my life ... glad i got a pretty one there too!!
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
IC B2

#92370 09/24/02
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I didn't know there were any good looking Aggie woman. [Linked Image] just kidding.
<br>
<br>I agree with you that there is no reason that you can't have a great looking rifle. Wood does have its disadvantages but in your situation it sounds like the disadvantages are outweighed by the good looks of the wood. If your guns shoots well with a wood stock and you don't mind spending the time to take care of it, by all means hunt with wood stocks.
<br>
<br>A couple of people have the signature line "Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun." I agree with this. The only difference is that I love the way a high quality synthetic stock looks and feels.

#92371 09/24/02
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We have one or two ... perhaps they are Louisana transplants?? .... ok maybe not ... and i agree there are some nice looking synthetic stock out there that are just plain ole sharp ... I'm kinda fond of the one's Weatherby are now using on the VM's the light brown with black marbling (paint splatter?). I believe they're by HS ... but I'm not sure, I just know I think they're sharp .... but not nearly as sharp as Claro Walnut!!
<br>
<br>Cheers!!
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
#92372 09/24/02
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you like those Weatherby stocks, take a look at some of Ricks paint jobs. Very sharp lookin. I think Weatherby is using Bell and Carlson stocks.

#92373 09/24/02
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U may very well be right ... the person that told me HS wasn't sure himself.
<br>
<br>Thanx
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
#92374 09/24/02
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Besides ... I know i love wood stocks ... but most likely next year (spring) i will be looking for a synthetic for the Weatherby if my plans for an Alaskan cariboou hunt go thru (kinda a big if right now) ... Can't afford my rifle to break when up there!!
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
IC B3

#92375 09/24/02
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now hold on here. Synthetics are the ONLY way to go. [Linked Image] Wood is for making furniture and canoes!![Linked Image]
<br>
<br>By the way, I KNOW that there are some good looking A&M women. I seen many beautiful woman at Law School at Tech who were A&M undergrads.
<br>
<br>Just to start another argument, the most beautiful woman do seem to come from Texas.
<br>
<br>2nd

#92376 09/24/02
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
2nd,
<br>
<br>Can't argue there!! I'm a PA transplant here at A&M working on my PhD ... and wow! I don't know what is in the water here ... but if I ever leave TX ... I'm taking a tanker with me.
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
#92377 09/25/02
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Avagadro
<br>Brad is spot on when he says the laminates are neither fish nor fowl and best left to find their own way in the world...
<br>
<br>There is no reason to change your stock for a single 'bou hunt, just make sure it is free-floating and give it not a second thought.
<br>
<br>I did not know there was another using the same signature line I use... which my father had on a hand-lettered sign in his shop as early as I can remember, but at least the early 60's...
<br>
<br>Plastic sucks!
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
#92378 09/25/02
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My take on this is which synthetic vs. wood.
<br>The best synthetics are a real asset to the rifleman. Lighter, stronger, and stiffer. All desirable things.
<br> But, handled right, wood has a lot of good things about it. I don't just love the looks of it, but the feel as well.
<br> By free floating the barrel, and glass bedding, wood does almost as well as synthetics. Close enough for many.
<br> Their main draw back is weight. But, a wood stock, can be hollowed out some to deal with this.
<br> Lack of strenth in the pistol grip area. You can go to a laminate, or to a through bolt in the PG area.
<br> Laminates haven't been as successful as many thought they be. They are heavier than straight wood, a little stronger, and cheaper than decent wood. But, that's all.
<br> I go for synthetics on my rifles because I want all the edge I can get. Easier with synthetics, for me, than wood.
<br> I said which synthetic. All the injection moulded, and cheaply made glass stocks, are junk in my book. If I buy one, I'll buy a good synthetic to go with it. E

#92379 09/25/02
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Avagadro, Do you have a number?? (sorry I had to ask that.....:) ) Have you checked out the McMillan Wood Grain sythetic stocks? I have one and it's as pretty as any wood stock I've ever owned. They are a little pricey, but if you're in a dilema, then that may be your answer.. mcmfamily.com give it a look..
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

Dan in Arizona
#92380 09/25/02
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've read several post on this fourm about them ... but several people told me they don't sell them any longer.
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
#92381 09/25/02
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One disadvantage of plastic stocks, never mentioned in the literature, they get hot under the sun. Had a Ruger 77 custom Fiberpro stock in 1988 in Botswana, this was an expensive high grade stock, actually got almost too hot to touch, very uncomfortable. Rifle never changed zero in six years but I was never happy with it after that and got rid of it. Never took it to Arctic but there you wear gloves when it is really cold.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.