Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#19430402 05/04/24
M
Mendem Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I recently got into catfishing with a friend of mine. The problem I’m running into is the gear. I have several g loomis and st croix rods. We use spinning gear to toss weightless chicken livers. My equipment is too light for some of the fish we tangle with. He uses ugly sticks but they’re like fishing with a golf club. Yea I’m spoiled. Any suggestions of rods that have some sense of feel and lightweight?

Last edited by Mendem; 05/04/24.
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
For channel cats , I only use fiberglass poles that are limber at the tip. A 7' rod good for 20 lb test is a good bet. I have ugly sticks 7' that are good for about 15 lbs. Those are my stink bait rods and walleye rods for trolling. They also make excellent cut bait rods . My reels are Abu Garcia 6500. If you ever get into flatheads , I use 2 Ocean Masters salt water rods with roller tips. My reels are a Penn 113 Senator and another Penn gls 45 ? reel that is not a level wind. This is for putting bait like 10" suckers or bull heads up stream from a big brush pile near deep water. . I set the drag with a pilers or they will get in that brush and be gone.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My catfish rigs take a beating slinging big weights and big baits, plus getting banged around fishing at night and getting put in rod holders.

So like the iHookem, I only fish glass rods. They’re tougher and they’re also cheaper for when not if I bust one.

My current favorites are the Daiwa Beefkitty conventional rods. They have a very soft tip that works great with circle hooks. I also have some Meathunter rods that are okay, very well constructed but the price has went up and their CS was nonexistent when I needed it.

Catfishing is a brute force game to me, pitching half a gizzard shad or a crappie head for 40-60 pound fish calls for medieval gear.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lamiglas x-11 with carbon handles. You can pick the length/strength you want and the handles are easy to clean if you’re messing with stinky bait. Also come out of the rod holder easier.

I use the X-11 7’9” twitching rod. It’s rated 8-15#. It was designed to fish jigs for salmon, but is actually a great bait rig rod for catfish. Before anyone talks about “soft salmon rods”, I’ve pulled big lingcod out of holes with this rod.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by TheKid
My catfish rigs take a beating slinging big weights and big baits, plus getting banged around fishing at night and getting put in rod holders.

So like the iHookem, I only fish glass rods. They’re tougher and they’re also cheaper for when not if I bust one.

My current favorites are the Daiwa Beefkitty conventional rods. They have a very soft tip that works great with circle hooks. I also have some Meathunter rods that are okay, very well constructed but the price has went up and their CS was nonexistent when I needed it.

Catfishing is a brute force game to me, pitching half a gizzard shad or a crappie head for 40-60 pound fish calls for medieval gear.

Same take here, stuff gets banged around and occasionally broken fishing from a little aluminum tub in very muddy rivers early in the morning or at night, so I'm not going put a lot of dollars into my catfish rigs.

It's not really a finesse game, so the weight doesn't really matter since the rods are just sitting in a holder or against the side of the boat waiting on a bite 90% of the time.

My personal favorites were the older Berkley Big Games, back when you could still get them in 6'&6'6" lengths. They haven't made those in quite a while now, though, and I'm down to my last couple of them.

Ugly Stiks, King Kats, hell even just a cheap Shakespeare/Zebco/Ozark Trail glass rod from Wallyworld all get the job done for modest sized cats.

I got my kid one of those cheapazz Shakespeare Durangos for slinging stinkbait rigs a couple years ago, and it works suprisingly well for a $9 pos 🤷‍♂️ He's landed quite a few with it and it hasn't snapped yet... no monsters or anything, but a lot of run of the mill stinkbait sized (around here) 4-7# channels.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 41 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,000
Posts18,520,403
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.