Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I did a search and didn’t find anything (surprising). I have an Eberestock Gunrunner or Gunslinger and I find the rifle muzzle down in the scabbard to seem very top heavy, bounce sround a lot and feels like it’s going to come out when I bend over.

Can you guys tell me what pack/gun carry you like? I will be foot hunting for elk in New Mexico with a lot of walking! I don’t need a big pack to haul meat, a day pack with gun carry is it! Thanks!

GB1

B
B
I have used a Kifaru Gunbearer for over 20 years. It attaches to the hip belt of your pack and the rifle is instantly available. I use it with a Hill People Gear Ute pack with the hip belt.

Last edited by Buck_W; 05/03/24.

Cowboy Up!
1 member likes this: Strop10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used the Kifaru gunbearer also, but have gotten fond of putting the rifle butt in a side pocket and stabilizing with two straps. It is less accessible this way, but its not swinging in your face either. A personal note, I go on guided hunts out West (live in Georgia). I find when using a gunbearer, at each rest stop, the process of removing the rifle is bit of a pain. Then when you stand up to go, the process of putting back on the pack, and then reattaching the rifle lets the guide get a good head start on you. When the rifle is strapped to the pack, it comes on and off as the pack does (a unit), much more convenient for me. I have never lost game because I couldn’t get to my rifle fast enough.

1 member likes this: kujuak
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sako76
I did a search and didn’t find anything (surprising). I have an Eberestock Gunrunner or Gunslinger and I find the rifle muzzle down in the scabbard to seem very top heavy, bounce sround a lot and feels like it’s going to come out when I bend over.

Can you guys tell me what pack/gun carry you like? I will be foot hunting for elk in New Mexico with a lot of walking! I don’t need a big pack to haul meat, a day pack with gun carry is it! Thanks!

If you are referring to a daypack as opposed to a backpack you probably need to be carrying your rifle using your choice of sling. Odds are you will need that rifle in a hurry, and the time spent digging out/unstrapping a rifle from a pack scabbard won’t help your odds one bit.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I attach this to the frame of whatever pack I am currently using (the last two have been a Mystery Ranch, and currently a Kuiu), I love it.

https://www.bobwards.com/kifaru-gun-bearer-universal/p

IC B2

O
O
Totally depends the type of hunting that your doing. If im doing more of a later season spot and stock type hunt the gun bearer is a good option. After using one for many seasons I made a slight change to the system that i like better... instead of using the forstock part i just added a webbing snap buckle to both my pack strap and rifle strap. I find this keeps the rifle much tighter to my body and doesnt swing around near as much. For earlier calling/ stalking season when shot opportunity might come fast I like a low ready front carry. I acheive this with a hybrid vickers type design I made up. Basically its a vickers type sling cut in half. The front half attaches the rifke to my left shoulder pack strap and the rear portion to the right. Adjusted out so it tips the rifle to muzzle down front ready carry. This works very well with carbine length guns. Completely hands free yet instant access to shoot. Just pick up the gun... it also carries with the muzzle in a safe direction all the time and the forward weight of the rifle on your pack straps offsets the rearward weight of your pack making carrying both feel lighter...think 5gal in both hands vs only one...as for packs. I always carry a meat hauler. External frame pack with meat shelf. But any daypack with hip belt will work with my systems.

Last edited by Obsessed1; 05/04/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I attach this to the frame of whatever pack I am currently using (the last two have been a Mystery Ranch, and currently a Kuiu), I love it.

https://www.bobwards.com/kifaru-gun-bearer-universal/p

I've got one with a hypalon cradle for PALS belt and another made from nylon webbing for a Longhunter attachment. I think I would probably go DIY and make one with nylon webbing due to the hypalon one I have being grabby on most butt stocks.

If not using a pack with a belt that can handle the Gun Bearer, these work well.

https://www.redi-mag.com/product/safari-sling/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by docdb
I have used the Kifaru gunbearer also, but have gotten fond of putting the rifle butt in a side pocket and stabilizing with two straps. It is less accessible this way, but its not swinging in your face either. A personal note, I go on guided hunts out West (live in Georgia). I find when using a gunbearer, at each rest stop, the process of removing the rifle is bit of a pain. Then when you stand up to go, the process of putting back on the pack, and then reattaching the rifle lets the guide get a good head start on you. When the rifle is strapped to the pack, it comes on and off as the pack does (a unit), much more convenient for me. I have never lost game because I couldn’t get to my rifle fast enough.
I use my Gunbearer in both ways. If I'm just covering ground, I move the butt craddle back and put the barrel/forearm under the side straps of the pack. If I'm hunting, I have it up front and on my shoulder strap. That's one thing I like about the GB, it's can be used either way and keeps the barrel not much higher than head height.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The Stone Glacier quick release sling has worked really well for me. No need to take the rifle off/on when taking the pack on/off. It does not pull on the shoulder strap and is super easy and fast.

If not on a SG, you will have to adapt with some webbing and a tri glide. We have easily adapted it to Kifaru, Exo and MR.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use a Kifaru Gunbearer, but not the way it is supposed to be used. Really, I just use the butt holder/cradle and put it on the back of my pack and use straps to secure it. Sometimes I put it on the side if I think I need the rifle/shotgun fairly quickly, with the bbl slid through a heavy duty plastic carabiner, up near my shoulder. It is easy to lift out of the cradle and then slide it down and out of the carabiner.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Other times and especially with shorter bbls, I just throw the butt of the rifle in a belt pocket and strap the rifle down anyhow I can. Pretty much any pack with Molle loops and compression straps can accommodate how I do it.

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Sako76

If you are referring to a daypack as opposed to a backpack you probably need to be carrying your rifle using your choice of sling. Odds are you will need that rifle in a hurry, and the time spent digging out/unstrapping a rifle from a pack scabbard won’t help your odds one bit.

Thirty years ago I could scramble around with a daypack and a slung rifle. Now I need my rifle securely attached to my pack so I can use trekking poles to keep my balance. It’s hell to get old. This is a great thread. Keep the ideas coming.

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
This.

Originally Posted by Flashdog
Thirty years ago I could scramble around with a daypack and a slung rifle. Now I need my rifle securely attached to my pack so I can use trekking poles to keep my balance. It’s hell to get old. This is a great thread. Keep the ideas coming.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The SO Gun Hook is awesome, but it's discontinued. I just make my own these days.

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a 30+ year old Barney’s frame pack with a bolt on butt holder and a leather/velcro strap to hold the barrel in place.

Not fast to get into action, but quicker than the Eberle back pack I had for a few years.

I have a kifaru gun bearer as well, but that frame pack has lots more stories.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The discontinued SO system was simple, lightweight and worked well for quick access, while still transferring rifle weight to the pack. Not super secure in mountainous terrain tho.

I tried to like the Kifaru Gunbearer, but hated where it positioned the rifle. Just couldn’t get along with something hanging under my arm.

Used the SG system last year and like it quite a bit. The rifle is held more securely/tightly to the pack than the others. Almost like it’s fully strapped on to the pack. Still super quick to pull off for a shot. But for most guys, it does require removal of the pack to re-install the rifle. Not a big deal for me, but may be for others.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
The discontinued SO system was simple, lightweight and worked well for quick access, while still transferring rifle weight to the pack. Not super secure in mountainous terrain tho.

I tried to like the Kifaru Gunbearer, but hated where it positioned the rifle. Just couldn’t get along with something hanging under my arm.
It’s more secure if you use the bottom loop. grin

Agreed on the Gunbearer.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The Stone Glacier system is the best I’ve used. Trouble is it’s $700. :-)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those that can't abide the gunbearer as designed, adjust the cradle to allow carrying the rifle cross-chest, with the foreend/scope barrel behind the sternum strap.......

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
For those that can't abide the gunbearer as designed, adjust the cradle to allow carrying the rifle cross-chest, with the foreend/scope barrel behind the sternum strap.......

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Where do you carry your binos Don? (Edit: had to zoom in on my phone, see them now. Brave man, no case or anything. smile ) I use a bino harness, which might be too bulky for that method of rifle carry.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Thanks Captain. crazy grin

Even with the bottom bungee the SO Gunhook didn’t hold the rifle as tight to the pack IME. Both systems are light and work well, but each have downsides/limitations.

Last edited by Wrongside; 05/05/24.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Thanks Captain. crazy grin

Even with the bottom bungee the SO Gunhook didn’t hold the rifle as tight to the pack IME. Both systems are light and work well, but each have downsides/limitations.
Happy to help. grin

Yeah, more accessible but less secure. It's a tradeoff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10gaugeman, 44 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,001
Posts18,520,477
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.