Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My lady friend and I are planning on vacationing in South Dakota during the first part of June. I would like to throw in a one day pd shoot. I know time is running close for this so I may be SOL. Are public land shoots worth pursuing, or should I stick with trying to book something? Any information, advice, or comments are much appreciated. Thanks, Richard.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I tried to send you a PM about this but your message board is full. I will tell you a few things on the open forum, there's a lot of tribal land in S.D. and most of it is not marked, you really don't want to be trespassing on it. I've bird hunted and prairie dogged S.D. since the early '80s... my Wife's family has been in S.D. since 1875. Several years ago I bought a S.D. ON-X card for my GPS and I was shocked by how much tribal land was scattered around in areas that I previously thought had none.
You will need a $40 predator license and a $25 habitat stamp on public and private land... on a Rez you'll need a tribal license.

You all won't need a pile of rifles... a rifle each and one spare will be enough. If you have those tripods that are for shooting from take them.
Take a can of insect repellant, you may need it.
If I can get a PM to you tonight it will have advice that should be a help.

A lot of times the first dog town I see from the inter-state will be around Murdo on the south side of the highway. Another location that I frequently see dogs is shortly before you climb the rise to Wall, again on the south.

Lastly, don't forget to stop at Wall Drug... it's the ultimate tourist trap and almost a rite of passage for a first timer and it's a long haul across the state east to west, you'll be looking for places to stretch your legs.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
1 member likes this: OSU_Sig
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rhanks22
My lady friend and I are planning on vacationing in South Dakota during the first part of June. I would like to throw in a one day pd shoot. I know time is running close for this so I may be SOL. Are public land shoots worth pursuing, or should I stick with trying to book something? Any information, advice, or comments are much appreciated. Thanks, Richard.

Book something. You an easily spend the better part of the day trying to find a PD town, then you will still have to get permission to shoot it. It can be difficult to even find out who owns the land and then you have to connect with them for permission.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

2 members like this: OSU_Sig, dale06
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I appreciate the information, team. Looks like I don’t have enough posts to do PM’s. I’ll work on that. My email is hanksrlbellsouth.net Thanks again, Richard

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by rhanks22

Book something. You an easily spend the better part of the day trying to find a PD town, then you will still have to get permission to shoot it. It can be difficult to even find out who owns the land and then you have to connect with them for permission.

drover

This is great advice.

NRA Patron
1 member likes this: OSU_Sig
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1234, 68 invisible), 16,564 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,193
Posts18,543,431
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.