Mine is an exceptionally nice Winchester 42, modified choke, that I picked up at a gun show about fifteen years ago. My first thought was for grand kids until prices started climbing.

My granddaughters are tall anyway, so the ten year old is already using her aunt.'s 28. Daughter and SIL have a place managed for birds and game. It is a dove heaven.

Last opener, I decided to take the 42 along with my Superposed 20 Pigeon Grade. Doves were thick. I broke out the 42, stuffed it with #8.5 clays loads and went to work. Actually, my skills have slipped with scatter guns over the years, but my kill ratio with the little .410 was just about even with the 20. It has been a long time since I had that much fun shooting dove. I just passed on the long shots.

Of the two you mention, the 870 Wingmaster would be my pick. I think most of us could find a place for a nice 410. My testing of shot shells tells me that the clays load mentioned penetrates pine boards better than the 3" shot, plus it patterns better.

Enjoy,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero