Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Assisted openers are legal here, I've had several. Switch-blades, butterfly knives, gravity and inertia are no-nos. There's a bit of room for interpretation on what constitutes an inertia knife.

I wouldn't rule out getting an idiot for a customs agent, but that can happen anywhere. Being right isn't that much of a consolation when some civil servant decides to flip your life upside down. I usually put my knives in my gun case when travelling, but that is nearly always flying. People checking guns into a country never seem to be upset or surprised by a knife.

I very deliberately used the term ...may... in my initial response, as LEOs in Canada, have and often use considerable personal discretion in deciding issues concerning weapons.

Given the much greater sensitivity about this after the atrocity at Canadas National War Memorial, I think that most CBSA staff would object to a knife of this type.

This, is WHY I also gave the contact info. for the RCMP sector who controls such issues as they are THE real authority on what is-is not a *switchblade*.

However, the moron factor never sleeps here and I should have been more explicit.