I got in the habit of keeping more ammo on my person back when I was guiding. Never knew when somebody would put a bullet in the guts or leg, even if the guy shot pretty well at paper.

A lot of this was due to most of the people being guided coming from east of the Mississippi, and had no clue about shooting much beyond 150 yards, or shooting in the wind. In fact they would often argue with me about the range. This was before laser rangefinders and I used the reticle in my scope to estimate a much better idea of range than THEY did.

But many wouldn't believe me. Odd how somebody who's never even seen a pronghorn or mule deer before can know exactly how far away it is. Sometimes they were sure the animal was a lot closer, especially antelope, because they're so brightly colored, but sometimes they were convinced they were even further away. And sometimes they had no clue where their rifle shot beyond 150-200 yards.

There were some rodeos, because trying to get another bullet in a pronghorn that's packing a leg can eat up some ammo. And a lot of the guys wouldn't have any extra ammo on them, so I made sure some was on me, so I could either finishing the animal off myself, or let them use my rifle.

Can't recall needing more than one or two extra rounds after the first shot myself for a long time, and those have been finishing or insurance shots, since the first one was good. But old habits die hard, and I've found being prepared better than the alternative.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck