I use Trimble GPS Hunt. It is not the best software but it works. I can create a top and download it so that it is resident on my Samsung 4 series phone. After downloading, it will locate you on your map using only GPS signal, not phone or data. In my tests it works ok. I do not keep the function running, I turn it on when needed. This shows where I am relative to my points of interest at any time, and on a scalable too of good quality. Used like this, battery life is amazingly good. Of ourse, all battery devices have limits. Customer service with this subscription product is poor, and the software is average at best. But there are plenty of capabilities and creating extensive maps on your pc is easy. Because I usually have a phone anyway, as well as a map and compass, it limits the number of devices many times. Also, friends can view my map while we discuss on the phone, which is invaluable. This costs $30 per year and I gladly renew it. For me it's a big upgrade.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill