A few months ago Daughter #1 decided she wanted to use my RH Ruger Scout in .308 Win on her first elk hunt this coming fall. I convinced her to get a LH Ruger Hawkeye in .308 instead. In addition to being proper ‘handed’ for her, she gained 6” of barrel length for additional (standard .308 Win) velocity. Two nights ago she started to express doubts as to whether or not a .308 Win was enough for elk. I assured her it is.

The question is one of bullet choice, not cartridge. The options under consideration are:
150g Nosler AccuBond @ ~2850fps
165g North Fork SS @~2750fps
168g Barnes TTSX @~2700fps

(All velocities are estimates based on past experience with other rifles and current Hodgdon load data.)

I'm leaning toward the 165g North Fork because I've taken two elk with it in a .30-06. I've also taken one elk with the AccuBond and a .30-06. Inside 400 yards there isn't much difference in trajectory (3") or fps or fps (under 100 for each) between the North Fork and the AccuBond. It will probably come down to which she shoots better.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.