Cookie went after burrowing owls again hoping to catch some youngsters huddled around home. Got her blind in the night before, camped out, and was set up and ready (04:45) well before sunup (05:30). Turned out we were a bit late seasonally as they're all flight capable now. That being, they were in the neighborhood but a bit worried about her pop-up blind and not staging from their central burrow. Still though about 1/2 hour before sunrise a youngster approached for a look.
[Linked Image]
Some serious pupil openings there when the light is low. A Canon 500 mm F 4.0 1/400 sec with ISO floating at 6400.
Had I been there, it was so dark I'd have not bothered with hitting the shutter.

Here's a prior image of an adult in daylight for a comparison.
[Linked Image]
Canon 400 mm with 1.4 extender F7.0 1/400 sec ISO 100

I watched via spotting scope from about 1/2 mile away. Lots of activity confined to about a two acre area from sunup (05:30). By about 07:00 seemed they were all back underground except for a couple sentries. Getting near a 100 degrees F now, and that's likely a great way to escape the heat.

She's marked the calendar and will get after them a bit earlier next year (like first or second week of June) when the adults are still bringing groceries to the burrow.

Have a good one,

1Minute