Gonna be the lone dissenter here. During the cooler months I won't be outdoors without waterproof boots. But during summer hiking here in GA I'd pay more for non-waterproof boots to get them. They are lighter and much cooler. Yes, your feet get wet, but as others said it is good socks that matter. Your feet will be just as wet in gore-tex boots, it is just sweat instead of water. And the non-waterproof boots dry out a lot faster.

Hiking here means lots of stream or river crossings. Unless you are wearing hip boots you're gonna get wet anyway.

If you only have one pair of boots (who does that) then I'd have to say buy the goretex versions.

The Goretex booty is on the inside and the insulation is outside exposed to the water. When it gets soaked, the boot is like standing in icewater while wearing a plastic bag over your foot. I never have figured out why they don't put the Goretex on the outside of the insulation.

Wear uninsulated boots with good wool socks inside everything. I've not owned insulated boots in 20 years and have been comfortable down to zero. Below that and typical hunting/hiking boots don't work well anyway

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.