Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have a 6500 2.5-16x42 on an HS SPL .240. I like the 2.5X for off hand shooting, killed a nice Pronghorn in NM, offhand at 80 yds. It was the only shot I was going to get. The low power made it easier for me to hold the gun steady.

At 16X, the eyebox gets critical and in dim light, I have to crank the power back a bit to see. The 50mm version may be better at dim light, but I've never handled one of those.

I have no experience with the higher powered 6500's and can't comment. I do have some experience with the 4200 Elite 6-24x40 discussed above.

DF

Explain how the power of the scope made you steadier?I bet you are not physically steadier than at high power.Being on high power only magnifies how unsteady you really are. shocked

laugh

Yep, something about perception becoming reality.

No steadier at 2.5X, just seems that way. You don't see your wigglies as bad and mess up trying to overcorrect. Just aim and make the shot.

Good point.

DF

That's just it, you may actually wiggle more with higher magnification because the point of aim-eye-brain-nerve-muscle-point of aim-eye-... feedback loop over reacts.