Having grown up, been early schooled and learned many of life's ropes in a northern manufacturing city with a comparatively high percentage black population in the 40s and 50s, I experienced many good things emanating from a solid, thriving and caring black community in that city. Yes, there were some problems and some miscreants afoot, but racial progress was accomplished steadily. Almost everyone worked at something, and parents watched over and took care of their kids.

Most of us were able to grow into excellent relationships and witness many of our black friends and acquaintances succeed in education and in life. Today, many such cities are nothing like that - the situations are deplorable. Why?? Indeed, in the 1960s after we had gone west, my home city went to rack and ruin due to the first seeds of the fruit we see today, and because "organizers" incited major riots and destruction. Relatively instant degredation of a once fine place.

I abhor and am sadeened by the murders of those 9 black people, in their own church - horrible. However, it is clear that no removal or denigration of any symbol - such as that flag - will do an iota of good toward improved racial relationships and reduction of murderous crimes in this country. The SC state action smells like political expediency and opportunism.

Once the "symbols" and "evidences" of various injurious claims are gone, and after this country has poured even more billions into the failed give-away and "welfare" programs that have served to undermine self-respect and any hope for progress in many black communities, how will black leaders and vapid politicians manage to explain the ongoing reasons for the abject failures, and the crime-ridden murderous conditions? They will need a new set of excuses, slogans and hollow gimmicks. It is so very unlikely that their "leadership" behaviors and undertakings will be based on the values and principles that cause communities, and countries, to be excellent. What a waste.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron